thought i was growing

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

Stictocardia but my vine doesn't look like anything of the pics online at all. mine have these fake thorns all over it like a locust vine has. Really purple in color and wants to take over.

will get pics later today if not raining. anyone know a morning glory with fake hair like things?

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

My indica???? had the soft thorns and hairy lvs. The bloom made a wooden rose seed pod.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

will get pics if ever stops raining.. not indica as have that one.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Lol, don't mention rain! It just don't seem to stop raining and this should be a dry season! What's gonna happen mid June in the wet season? Drowned I think! What a year so far and we're not half way through yet!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Marie. We don't really know what our bloom was thus the ???
Others have said it might be an indica. Then I lost my vine, left out in freezing weather.
The bloom was a bright blue turning/fading to a pink.color as I recall
I found my missing sds so might try to grow one out so we can try for an Id
Our rain has finally slacked off Jon. We've had our share of flooding.
The worst I've ever seen here in my 60 plus yrs.

Mesilla Park, NM

Marie, could you have I. setosa maybe: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/106134/

That is one that has the soft thorns on it.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

ok here are pics of my 2 thorny vines 2 different ones first one

Thumbnail by imzadi
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

another pic of the same

Thumbnail by imzadi
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

totally different vine

Thumbnail by imzadi
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

no neither are indica because i have it growing on my tree. posted it somewhere on Becky's thread somewhere. know where its at.

Mesilla Park, NM

Marie, that third photo looks like the one called Chinese Morning Glory, it also has those very fine hairs. Mine grew really fast, but never bloomed in CA. Yellow flowered.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i don't know what i am growing. these have taken me by surprise. I thought i was growing stricto but unless for sure id will hope thy flower.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

That's a bit of a mystery you have growing!!!! I have one that is similar to yours and it is also a mystery. I've been waiting for it to bloom since it first germinated in Sept. It's one of my indoor vines. Hopefully, it will bloom soon. I keep thinking mine is a Setosa (Brazilian MG). http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/106134/ But the leaves on mine don't look like Setosa.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

its a wait and see i guess

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Merremia vitifolia
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/170038/

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

ok that might just be right Emma by the pics. I don't know how I got that as bought a pack off ebay says stricto b on it . was hoping it was the Hawaiian sunset vine but ok. I can handle that one. Thanks Emma

Ok now maybe figure out what other one is for sure and will label it .

At least both are something new to me so its cool. At first didn't know if those thorns were actually lethal or not till hubby touched them. He says they soft so now not scared of them. My rose has same thorns and on it its ouch hehe

Glad to see that you got an ID for one of your vines! :-)

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
I never did get this vine to bloom for me in over 5 years and finally threw it in the compost pile. Also the vines can be up to 70' so no telling how long it really can climb.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Thanks Emma I'll sure steer clear of that one LOL!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

good grief well it will get trimmed often like indica then. i am hoping to see a bloom maybe. hehe so far both vines have been pretty tame but our weather is fluctuating again. Maybe once warmed up might be different story.

but clippers it will be if gets out of hand. got chain saw too if need it hehehe

Mesilla Park, NM

Here is the cotyledon for the Yellow Chinese MG/Vitifolia, my photo in the plantfiles, you can see the reddish tint on them. If yours still has the cotyledons, you can match them up, but it sounds like you got the ID.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/151682/

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i don't remember my babies being red. All my baby leaves have been green so far.

Mesilla Park, NM

Just the cotyledons, not the leaves, but, it could have been my camera and the coloring came out reddish tinted. Either way, glad you got the ID there.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

will know for sure when they bloom if they do. really was hoping for the stricto but hey a mg is a mg and wont complain.

A - That's so funny! I looked at the photo and saw the writing and thought that might be your hand-writing! Great photo, btw! This is very interesting! It will be fun to see what you get in blooms, Marie!

Mesilla Park, NM

Yeah, they sold it under the name of Yellow Chinese Morning Glory at one time.. I still think that the bronze and reddish tint will show up on yours Marie.. keep an eye on it whether you have it in dappled shade makes a difference too.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

they are both in full sun

Jon -
Re:
"Thanks Emma I'll sure steer clear of that one LOL! "

that is too funny.
Seriously that guy can really climb. Plus, this plant will also root where it touches the ground

It is a shame that most of us will never see those blooms because they are for sure incredible
http://www.hear.org/pier/imagepages/singles/773px-Merremia_vitifolia_by_kadavoor.htm

If I remember, it seems that because of the climate this plant is accustomed in China and a few other countries, including Thailand, they grow high in the mountains. So maybe high altitude would be a guesstimate for blooms ???

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

hopefully it will bloom here. if have to will try to over winter it here inside. would love to see both vines bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.