Hops Vine and Houttuyania Plant

Peoria, IL(Zone 5b)

Unfortunately I have planted both of these plants in my gardens. Bad move. Am severely allergic to the hops so I'm bundled up in long sleeves trying to pull and dig it out. Am using Roundup on both but they unfortunately are growing amongst beautiful perennials and shrubs. Any other advice besides just tons of vigilance and hard work?? Started putting a plastic bottle over the houttuynia last year and spraying with round up but it came back stronger than ever this year....

I just cringe when I see Houttuyania at nurseries. I do have two solid beds that are beautiful because it can't go anywhere but it was a huge mistake to put it in a mostly shade mostly moist garden.

Chapel Hill, NC

RoundUp doesn't kill Houttuynia. The only way we conquered this thug was to dig out EVERYTHING in the bed and leave it bare for a whole summer while we pulled out new shoots daily(it was on the way to the mailbox). We didn't plant until the following Spring. The perennials had their roots washed of dirt so we could see and remove the "H" roots. They were then put into buckets with new soil and isolated until we were sure that they were "clean".
I would remove it from the other beds in the garden ASAP. Our Houttuynia sent roots under rocks to a depth of over 18 inches and 3 feet away from the plant!!
I would suggest reading about what others have experienced by looking up Chameleon Plant in the Plant Files

Chapel Hill, NC

My DH reminded me that it took 2 additional summers of pulling shoots after the summer of digging it out.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh bummer...it's in half my back yard and I don't have any help....grrrr....

Peoria, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for suggesting that I read the Plant Files. There was some good info in there. Think I will start digging and alternately use Round Up and Eliminator and maybe it will slow down a bit...

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm thinking a selective lawn weed-killer will control it in your yard but not your perennial beds. It would probably take several sprayings, some next year also. But I think it would eventually starve and die with no leaves to photosynthesize. If it were in my yard (grass only) I would try it.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5b)

Interesting...good idea about the leaves and photosynthesizing. I think I have some areas in the beds large enough to do this. Wonder if it would help to constantly weed wack...removing the tops??

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Too much work. Spray and wait for the leaves to die. When they reappear spray again.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Too much work. Spray and wait for the leaves to die. When they reappear spray again. If you weed whack 'em you have no leaves for the spray to work on.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I think the only thing that kills Houttuynia is total vegetation killer. At the garden society they suggest cutting the stem to 1 inch and painting the open stem with weed killer, but Ihave so many, I could not even try. Do try to get them out before they flower.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5b)

Cathy, Thanks for the input...they are beginning to flower. What is the advantage of removing them before they flower?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

They spread their seeds all over.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.