Sprouting mini Sinningia tubers and what becomes of them...

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Well, it's this time of the year again. Post your pictures of sprouting mini Sinningia tubers and their rapid development. The more the merrier.

Sinningia 'Lisa':

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'HCY's Bold Print'. I can't wait for this one.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'HCY's Taurus'. A little further along.

This message was edited May 15, 2011 11:06 AM

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Ozark Scentimental Journey':

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Great pictures.It seems lately if I let a tuber go to sleep on any of my Sinns.,they don't wake up.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't give up. They sometimes take ages. Just like my Chrysothemis friedrichsthaliana tuber took over four months to resprout.

Alan LaVergne wrote some interesting bits of information on the subject:

http://www.burwur.net/sinns/3dorm.htm

Thank you! That was interesting.Sometimes when I store them they shrivel and other times the have rotted.David (of Dave's Violets),told me to keep them in the dark.

Lynn

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Yes! Thanks for that link. I haven't done it yet but I was told (by a hybridizer) you could cut a tuber and as long as it had an "eye" on it, it would produce a new plant. Anyone successful doing this? This publisher said he has cut one in half and both halves died. Scary. Maybe just take the small top tuber off the larger bottom one?

Thanks,
Connie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Dale Martens had an article on cutting tubers in Gleanings on the Gesneriad Society website. It's downloadable for free even if you aren't a member.

I'm not sure if that will coax a tuber out of dormancy.

I know that with rhizomatous Gesneriads, if you propagate them by rhizome scales, you can break dormancy and can have Achimenes, for instance, weeks earlier than everyone else.

Olaf

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the info on the article. Wasn't worried about coaxing out of dormancy. Just thought I would ask while talking about sinn. tubers :)

Thanks again,

Connie

Sis,
Bonnie or David could also help you with this.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I guess that the best recipe is patience. I tend to put pots with resting tubers on the back of the shelf or somewhere a bit out of sight. I try to keep them barely moist. Just plain water - no fertilizer. Once I see sprouts, I move them to where I can see what happens and give them warm soil and start increasing moisture. As soon as the plant is actively growing, I resume fertilization. Of course no wicking during dormancy. Most minis and micros seem to be a bit erratic when it comes to dormancy and some of them never seem to go dormant at all. And sometimes a tuber just doesn't resprout or takes a break for several months.

That's what I have been doing,but minis will shrivel with no water (for me).Also,some just don't seem to grow as vigorously after dormancy....some of the larger ones.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Sis, I don't have any minis or semi except Rio. I have a few Florist Gloxinias I could share with you when they grow up :)

Connie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Well, a shriveling tuber sounds like too much or too little water. Maybe your mix is too heavy. I usually use light mix, just a bit more on the heavy side than wicking mix. Maybe it's the temperature at which you store the tubers. I'm just listing the factors that I can think of...

Thanks Sis,but I know where I can get some.I will have things to offer you shortly.

Lynn

Thanks Olaf.I think the problem was absolutely no water during dormancy.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

You are welcome, Lynn.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Ozark Red Lighning'. A large tuber. Should be a nice, multi crowned plant.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'HCY's Taurus':

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'HCY's Bold Print':

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Lisa':

Nice collection you have going.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lynn!

I have to correct you, though. It should read: "Nice addiction you have going..." LOL

Well.......ahem.......my name on other sites is Gessaholic...does that tell you anything LOL?

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

No. Not at all. LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Update: Sinningia 'Lisa', 'Ozark Red Lightning' and 'HCY's Bold Print'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Update: Sinningia 'Ozark Scentimental Journey' and 'HCY's Taurus'

Looking good Olaf.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lynn! And now that warm weather finally has arrived... :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Not a mini either but here we go:

Sinningia eumorpha 'Saltao' x pieresiana. Got this tuber from ebay a few weeks ago. Judging by the pictures I've seen of the cross, this should be interesting.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Ozark Red Lightning' surrounded by (from right clockwise) Sinningia 'Lisa', 'HCY's Taurus' and 'HCY's Bold Print':

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'HCY's Bold Print'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Ozark Red Lightning':

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

I really love these little jewels, just can't grow them. I have Gabriel's Horn. It has never bloomed. What's the secret?

Melanie

Just beautiful pictures!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Melanie!

There really is no secret to it. Give them a little more light and water than Violets and they're happy. 1/4 strength fertilizer on constant feed. They like it a little warmer than Violets. That's about it. No real secret there.

It's hard to believe that 'Gabriel's Horn' isnt blooming for you since it usually is one of the more floriferous varieties. Should be happily blooming in a West or East window...

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Ozark Scentimental Journey'.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Ozark Red Lightning'.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'HCY's Taurus'.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'HCY's Bold Print'.