Hydnophytum formicarium

Providence, RI

I got one!!! Yay!! Its such a cool looking plant. Take a look. I looked here on DG but not much info on this wonderful plant. Any thoughts, tips, ideas, or experiences?

Thumbnail by fatcaudex
Phoenix, AZ

Very cool! Where did you get it?

Providence, RI

Logees... I drove to their greenhouse which is about 25 mins from my place. They also do mail order, and this plant is available. $19.99 plus S&H. Take a look. Good size caudex with the plants they are selling. I was lucky I could visit them and choose my own :)

http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1260-2

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Cool! Good price. Have fun growing it.

Decatur, GA

Cool plant. Did it come with any ants?
Here is some info:
http://www.bihrmann.com/CAUDICIformS/subs/hyd-for-sub.asp
Have fun with it.
Helen

Yardley, PA

This plant is a bit difficult to grow I believe. Needs a lot of humidity. Good Luck, it is a great looking plant.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

In one of the local conservatories here in Chicago, they have it growing in the Orchid room. If I'm not mistaken it's an epiphyte on Mangroves. So, yes, high humidity would be a pretty good guess.

Westland, MI

Hi fatcaudex, What is the growing media in that pot? I hope it is not the regular potting soil that it looks like. These plants are epiphytes in habitat and real soil will kill them in a short time. I have seen regular soil mix work but only if it is cut with 50%or more of pumice. Most of us grow our Hydnopytums and Myrmecodias in long-fiber sphagnum or that with some orchid bark mix added to it.

About 70% of the Hydnophytums sold in the US are mislabeled - including yours. Your plant is a Hydnophytum moseleyanum. The main way to tell the difference is that Hydnophytum moseleyanum leaves are almost succulent and have 3 or 4 pairs of veins in the leaves. Hydnophytum formicarum plants have leathery leaves with 6 to 12 pairs of veins in the leaves.

Here is a link to an article with a lot of photos that shows this and the other differences between Hydnophyutm formicarum and moseleyanum.

http://www.rareferns.com/Frank%20Omilan%20article%20revision%209-08%20form%20vs%20moseley.pdf

good growing, Frank

Decatur, GA

Nice information Frank. Thanks a lot. I love the caudex', they look like fat blobs. And I can go for lime green leaves anytime.
What is that about the Atlanta Botanical Gardens? I didn't quit catch the meaning.
Helen.

Westland, MI

Hi Helen, Regarding my reference to the Atlanta Botanical Garden accession # 90-1070:

Most botanical gardens keep a record of every plant that enters their collection of plants. Each record is referred to as an accession and each accession is given a unique number to identify it. Different gardens use different numbering systems. In the numbering system used by the Atlanta Botanical Garden the first two numbers in the accession number are the year they set up the record for that plant - 1990 in this case (but they only write the 90 sometimes). And the 1970 means this was the one thousand and seventieth plant that they set up records for in 1990.

I mention this plant in the article as an example of how much variation can occur in these ant-plants based on where and how the plant is being grown - because all three of the very different looking plants in the photo of Hydnophytum moseleyanums can be traced back to having been an offspring of that one plant at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, ABG 90-1070. Hope that helps, Frank

Providence, RI

Frankinmi, my plant is in regular soil. I can re-pot it (it seems ok so far), since I want it to do well, and get fatter!

Should I repot in Orchid mix, or a mix of Orchid and regular soil? Suggestions? Will repot and take pics.

Decatur, GA

Thanks Frank. Something new every day!!!

Westland, MI

fatcaudex, I would suggest a mix of 1/2 long-fiber sphagnum and 1/2 orchid bark mix. Soak the mix in water for a few hours or overnight before using it.

Providence, RI

Thanks Frankinmi... will do. My Hydnophytum has been doing well so far in the mix of soil its in... I was careful not to overwater, but will repot ASAP...

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Awesome plant!
Nice photo too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.