Hydrangea, Which one?

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I believe this is a hydrangea and somewhat early to tell exactly which one. This one has the tiny buds and they are pink, but it looks like the blooms will end up being white. Any idea which one and any tips, special info I can use?

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, indeed. It is one of many Hydrangea Macrophyla Lacecaps. I would post pictures again when the blooms are older and more "open" as hydrangea blooms can be very similar to each other. Luckily, care for hydrangeas is very similar.

They need part shade in Florida starting around 11am or so. The east side of the house or the east side of a tree will be fine. I would amend the soil with lots of compost and mulch it with 3-4" of mulch. Add 1 gallon of water to a newly planted small hydrangea when a finger inserted to a depth of 4" feels almost dry or dry. They do not eat a lot of fertilizer like roses so do not feed it this year. The potting mix already contains plenty of those round fertilizer pellets. Next year, add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of compost, composted manure or cottonseed meal in early May and early July. During the rest of the growing season, you can add some coffee grounds, liquid seaweed or liquid fish but stop all fertilizers in July. Place the shrub in a place where it can attain the estimated size at maturity on the plant label. If this is missing, assume a size of 5' high by 5' wide. No pruning should be ever necessary if planted in a place where it can grow as needed. The label will also indicate when the flower buds develop and this can impact when you prune (if you ever need to). Safe time to prune: after the plant has bloomed and before the start of July.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.