moving a peony

West Islip, NY

I did some "shovel pruning" and I have a bare spot that I would like to move a peony to. Can I move it now or should I wait for fall and throw some annuals in that spot.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

It does like fall movement better, but I have planted in the spring with good results.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The old adage was always to move them in fall but more and more posts tell of spring planting that works out quite well.

If you want the peony in a specific spot...go for it.

I'd take as much soil as possible with the peony when moving it.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I agree, the less you disturb the roots the better chance of survival.

Beachwood, OH

And yet... I removed 6 peonies from a bed last summer in 98 degree weather and they have been sitting, without being potted, since then, in a heap.
I assumed they would croak, but they didn't. Every one of them is up and leafing out the crazy things. I promise I will eventually find them a home. We converted the bed to lawn, but one somehow escaped the scraper and surprise, I even had one coming up in the lawn this spring.
Peonies are way tougher than we give them credit for.

Thomaston, CT

I agree! Never had a problem moving one.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I've never had a problem moving them this time of year either. However, be prepared for the possibility that it won't bloom for a couple years. The last time I moved one it took 3years to bloom again.

Beachwood, OH

Hi SongsofJoy - here is what's funny. I carefully moved a very early blooming peony and it took 3 yrs to bloom nicely again, but 4 out of 6 of these crazy peonies are budding out. weird

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I've read that the reason for fall planting is so the tap root may have enough time to grow before spring blooming. But I think peonies are hard to kill. For the last five years in early spring my dear partner has trod on a peony that was too close to the main outdoor water tap, so I have never seen it bloom. It's also very shaded by mature shrubs that must have been small when it was originally planted several decades ago, so it was not a very full plant even if it hadn't been stomped on just when it was trying to grow. This year I dug it up and sent the main root with several eyes out in a trade. Two pieces broke off and I potted them up just to see what would happen. They're both growing like mad! Now I guess I have to find a new spot for them somewhere. There are dozens more peonies everywhere here, all very old, but they are all pinks and white. I think this one may be red, as the foliage looks much more red than the others.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

We have moved many peonies in the spring without any problem. We recently split and moved my husband's family's heirloom peony that has been in the family for many generations. We now have 3 clumps in different locations that are looking great. I'd go for it sooner than later so that you can keep an eye on watering it in sufficiently and letting it settle in well before winter. I agree that peonies are very resilient and not terribly finicky unless they are planted too deep.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I always heard fall was the time to move them.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I have moved peonies that last two springs and they have dropped and died back. Of the two moved last year one is Iost completely and one is covered in ants as we speak

Jumper - that was the hard and fast rule we were taught but now people are showing we can have success moving them at other times. I can only guess a lot depends on the climate and the weather.

I divide and move in fall because in spring there is always a long list of things to be done.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

That makes sense, Pirl! In NH we seem to have a number of fall losses when perennials are planted in the fall, probably because we have freezes by mid-October and I always thought maybe the roots didn't have enough time to get established. I'm no expert on this....that's for sure! :)

I'm just guessing that you'd be dividing in late August or even mid August, Louise.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

thanks Pirl. Mom always told me to wait til Aug/Sept.

It works for me, too, jumper.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I was watching a local extension agent on a tv show this morning, and she said peonies and iris's shouldn't be moved until fall. I think the need for lots of watering and our tendency to forget to do it often enough is the problem. Since I'm screwing around with a family heirloom, I'd better be vigilant!!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I thought iris should be moved after blooming?

I've always heard to move/divide/cut back six weeks after bloom to allow them to make offsets.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I always have done iris divisions after blooming, which for the majority of my tall beardeds will be in mid june as they are out there blooming gangbusters this week. I have dug up iris rhizomes for swaps, etc earlier when I am taking rhizomes that did not bloom the previous year. I had to move a bunch because I planted them in the wrong direction and they kept growing into the wall of the iris bed but they were non- blooming. I moved 'Batik' in october last year because my son was putting down mulch and Batik had always hated the spot where I had it. So I lifted it and put it down with its brethren and sistren and lo and behold it is about to bloom the first of several blossoms on its little plant. I also missed some of the rhizomes which came up in the old spot and I am going to go dig them up and put them down with their companion today or tomorrow. My son weedwacks the nasty foliage off of them all at fall cleanup time. they get bone meal in early spring.
My tree peony {see the picture} was also put in the ground in fall last year after sitting in the plastic pot it came in all summer in the deep shade. It went into the spot vacated by 'Batik'. It had buds on it when I got it {won it in a raffle, actually} and I didn't want to disturb the blooming by planting it out. I put it in, and it was buried in snow for a good portion of our fabulous {ugh} snowy winter and looked like a dead stick for the better part of that time. It's out there now with three gorgeous flowers on and a new shoot.
herbaceous peonies need to be planted at the proper depth. too deep and you may kill it and the wrong depth certainly will keep the survivors from flowering. My son moved some stuff near one of my established plants and mounded up the soil. I am going to have to go out and uncover the eyes because I have a nice green plant but no buds this year. Also, the divisions can pick up the botrytis blight through the cuts and may have caused your peony division's demise. Peonies are fussy, but when you get it right, they are totally rewarding.
This year's tree peony blossom #1 below.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Main iris bed. There are a couple of later blooming varieties in there that aren't out yet. and I have to chop out the raspberry bush that has invaded also. I will be busy after bloom.
Martha

This message was edited May 29, 2011 10:07 AM

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I usually wait til July to divide irises. That's usually when they ship them too.

Yes, Jumper. When I first realized that back in '92 I knew it had to be the right time!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Mom is my rule giver, lol!

You absolutely, positively, without a doubt, couldn't have a better teacher.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I agree. I'm listening to Lucy!!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

oops, hit send too soon......wanted to add that Martha's iris garden is lovely, as is that tree peony!!

Thomaston, CT

That tree peony is such a lovely color!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Don 't get used to the pink because it is going to become more yellow in the coming week. I will take daily pictures to show.
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Martha......I love the changes in color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.