Castor Beans

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Anyone growing Castor Bean plants this year? I found a pack of "Impala" seeds and started them indoors. The first batch rotted. The second batch I started in a damp paper towel in a sealed baggie. When they sprouted, I transplanted the two seeds into pots. They have now sprouted and are approx. 5 in. high. I have grown Castor Beans before (variety unknown) and never had such a hard time getting them to germinate. Granted, the ones planted directly outdoors usually germinate trouble-free but this year I was busy getting their growing area built and ready.

Has anyone here tried the "Impala" variety? These were the only Castor Beans I have found in all the usual stores that sell seeds.

Thumbnail by toni5735
North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

Would you like some more? I ordered an assortment on ebay and have extras. They are not individually labeled and there are approx 7 different kinds/sizes/colors. I nick and soak mine overnight and have sprouts within a couple days. Email me and I can send you some if you like.

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

I have soaked mine, gotten them to sprout in the plastic bag and now am waiting for them to pop up out of their pots. Tap tap tap. Mine are a red variety, carmancetia, that I got from another DGer. I just love them but may have over extended, not thinking I soaked and sprouted them all and now I have about 64 pots!!!!!!!! What was I thinking???

I just love them and they are a conversation starter for sure.

Joy

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

WHOA! 64???!!!...LOL
I did 12 last year and said I'd do less this year but did 12 again due to the variety I received.
We'll have to remember to post pics!
Barbara

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Barbara/Chocolatemoose, I didn't even know there were that many different varieties. The last time I grew them was about 5 years ago from very old saved seeds. They didn't grow as tall so I tossed the rest of the seeds thinking they were probably past their prime. I have a small backyard so the most I can plant w/o shading out the entire yard is about 2 plants. I'm hoping the two that finally germinated will grow well for me. They are out being hardened off now.

Joy, I think Carmencita may have been the ones I grew also. Mine were red/burgundy and very tall. We removed a pine tree this year and lost the shade that it provided on the patio so I thought maybe a couple of castor beans would give us some shade. The two that germinated look kinda leggy but maybe they'll right themselves once they're in the ground.

Oh yeah, 64 POTS!!!!!

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

I know!!! What was I thinking! Will share with friends and have a shade garden for sure this year. They are slow at breaking ground though. So maybe I won't have so many to plant. :'(

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Don't worry Joyous, with 64 pots, when they start going it's gonna be like popcorn! Get yourself a Panama hat and a machete!!!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I am growing them for the first time this year. I have a dark purple heirloom variety from a swap. Although I soaked them, they took a while to take off. They seem to like the hot weather. I can't wait until they get bigger.

I got good germination, so I shared a couple with my gardening neighbors. They are a novelty around here. None of us has grown them before.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

GardenQuilts, if you've never grown them before, you're in for a nice surprise. It's hard to believe that a little seed can produce such a giant plant in one season. They really give your garden a tropical feel.

My castors have rooted into their new spot and seem to be growing well so far. Our weather started out weird this year so I wonder if they will reach their full potential this summer.

Here's a pic of them, they're the two in the back.

Thumbnail by toni5735
Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

I started caster bean seeds inside and in the garden. Mine are about the size of the above and I just saw sprouts coming up from what I spread out a couple weeks ago. I love them.
Marie

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Mine are small, but it will be fun to see how big they get. I gave one to my gardening friend, Tallulah, whose grandma is my neighbor and friend.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My castor beans approx. 2 months since last pic.

Thumbnail by toni5735

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.