Does this appear to have a virus?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I really love this plant. I suppose it does have virus.

Thumbnail by peony1066
Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Is Tropicanna known to carry virus? I'm not sure. I've done a lot of searching on the net and can't find a definitive answer.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I've read that they are one of the worst to have it.. I dont have an answer for you on this one cause mine looks the same as yours.. I keep my tropicanna away from other cannas and only use scissors to cut anything off of it, not to damage my tools.. But would love to know if i'm safe to plant them with other ones next year.. I'm sure one of the more know canna breeders can help you and i out with this one...

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

just found this theres a tropicanna leaf close to the bottom http://cannanews.blogspot.com/2008/01/thoughts-on-virus-from-hart-canna.html mine DONT look like that... So i think we might be ok...

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Smurf. I'm growing mine in a pot and I love it next to the brick entryway. I hope it's ok.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

peony..those are gorgeous!... I noticed you are only a couple hours from me. If You do have virus free cannas.. I have virus free cleopatra cannas if you ever want to do a small trade.
(smiles)

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure how one is sure the plant is virus free. What a worry. A trade would be good, if they are virus free.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Sure thing peony. I won't be in Houston for about 4 months ..maybe sooner for school shopping for my daughter. We usually stop in at the First Colony Mall. I will keep in touch and let ya know when I will be in your area. If yours turn out virused no problem. You can have some of mine anyway. My cannas have been here since approx the 1970's or so the neighbors say. I have them all trimmed up and looking great. NO signs of Virus at all that I can tell.... I can have then checked at a nursery also. Actually in my opinion the foliage looks great here.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I didn't realize about canna disease when I got my first canna, which did have a virus and was planted off by itself. Now I have two from a good nursery and they appear to be fine.

The tropicanna I just bought at home depot a month ago and it appears most canna from the large box stores are virused. So I am going to say it is probably diseased. It is growing out front in a pot and will stay there until I have the nerve to kill it.

Harrison Valley, PA(Zone 5a)

Would someone here help me to see what the virus looks like? I looked a t the above pic but am not sure what to look for. Thanks.
blue

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

bluesky... this thread has more info and links.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1176524/

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I"m not sure what to look for in tropicanna, though. Should it have yellow streaks?

Harrison Valley, PA(Zone 5a)

Thank you Lily, I will look into it. I had just bought some new cannas then started hearing about this virus....in hopes mine are ok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.