May 11th, 2011: Bleeding Heart Vine 'Delectum' (Clerodendrum thomsoniae) by htop

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

The Bloom of the Day for May 11th, 2011 was Bleeding Heart Vine 'Delectum' (Clerodendrum thomsoniae).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2011-05-11

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Great picture!! I love the way you caught the beauty of this plant. It looks like you could touch it and smell it. Thank you for the introduction to a very beautiful vine.

Hyderabad, India

I am afraid, this is not Clerodendrum Thomsoniae but Clerodendrum Speciosum.

Clerodendrum Thomsoniae picture added by 01_william is here.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/283991/

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Checked out pictures and information on both. Love them both, but can't grow them here due to cold and I don't have a big enough house or greenhouse to over winter them. If I did, I would be begging for cuttings. :(

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

marti001, thnk you for your nice comments. I sure wish that you could grow them there! I lost my Clerodendrum thomsoniae last winter which was unusually cold here. I sure miss it.

Razaak, I had a Clerodendrum thomsoniae also. However, this plant is also sold here as Clerodendrum thomsoniae "Delectum", C. speciosum, C. delectum, C. phillippinum, and C. balfouri. I will check further to determine which name is the correct scientific name. Thanks for your comment.

(Zone 9a)

htop, I bet you are where I got my vine!

Here's a picture of it blooming in my yard on 4/15/11

Thumbnail by PlayNDirt
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh wow... just love it.. would love to try and overwinter it!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

PlayNDirt, I don't know. I live in Zone 8b where it freezes to the ground during really cold winters here; however, it returns in late spring or early summer when the temperatures reach the low 90s.

onewish1, it would be worth a try ...

(Zone 9a)

I'm pretty sure I got it from you during one of the CTRU on my place in Kerrville, htop.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

You probably did! :o) Yours looks great!

(Zone 9a)

I have a rooted cutting I would be delighted to share with you, htop.

dstartz

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

PlayNDirt, do you still have your place in Kerrville? I had such a good time that day ... Thanks for the offer of a cutting ... mine has come back up and was growing like crazy until something ate off all of the tips of the shoots. I think its rats doing this. They are eating the leaves and blooms from my Rose of Sharon, eating other vines to the ground, eating the limes, lemons and peppers as well as keating other plants due to the f drought I suppose. I have put water out for them hoping that they'll not eat my plants. Good to hear from you.

(Zone 9a)

I do and we hope to be moving there within the next 12 months. Maybe y'all can come back up for a visit again. (Ernest & I speak of that event often and fondly. =>)

Should you need a new Bleeding Heart Vine I recently propagated several cuttings and would be delighted to repay your kindness.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.