Spring Hill IrisLovers?

Rumson, NJ

Has anyone ordered iris rhizomes from the IrisLovers.com site? I'm deciding where to place my spring order for irises and haven't seen any feedback about them. How do the rhizomes compare with sites such as Schreiner's (which I've ordered from in the past and got huge rhizomes from).

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I never had happy experiences with Spring Hill, but haven't ordered from them in years. The iris prices I looked at seem double what you'll find at reputable iris growers. Check out Snowpeak Iris or BlueJ Iris.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i would avoid them like the plague.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Ditto to above! Haven't ordered from them in a long time!

South Hamilton, MA

they mean 'Spring Hill' etc.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I looked at the Irislovers.com site and they display the correct Spring Hill logo. It appears to be a new specialized branch for Spring Hill. I dealt with SH years ago as a neophyte gardener and can say "Find a different vendor". They deal in a lot of junk quality at top-of-the-line prices. Their warranty is excellent but why buy the wrong thing in the first place?

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

You can't beat Superstition Iris for good prices and their shipping rate is unbelievable.
$10.99 for Fedex ground no matter what your iris order size is. And, their iris aren't rhizomes, they are yam sized and looked so good. They have a $3.00 section with some beautiful iris listed. They don't have online ordering, but they will quickly get you a catalog out if you request it and Rick has many of the iris photos listed at his photo site. I just love their huge inventory of the historic iris.

They are listed in the Garden Watchdog.

Another good site is Breezeway Iris Gardens. They do have online ordering.

Nana3

edited to add the links for you:
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1418/

here is the link to Rick's webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/rickt103

This message was edited May 10, 2011 12:29 PM

This message was edited May 10, 2011 12:32 PM

Taylorsville, KY

A agree with Nana3 completely!!! I received a rhizome of "Hopeless Romantic" last year that weighed 3-1/2 POUNDS! I took 8 blooming size starts off of it, left 6 on. They are all putting up stems now, a total of 8. From ONE $15 rhizome. Superstition Gardens is awesome!

Sue
Taylorsville, KY

Thumbnail by MissIrisbert
Rumson, NJ

Thanks, Nana3! I will definitely check out those two sites, and forget about that Spring Hill one.

Newfield, NY

i will never ever buy from spring hill.plant were dead or they did die.very small bulbs.or michgan bulbs

Forsyth, IL(Zone 5a)

I ordered some daylilies from them. Never again! They sent their Iris Lover's catalog and I was astounded at the prices. If their irises are like the daylilies, it's super-rip-off. The daylilies were DRY inside plastic bags with what looked like sawdust. I have gotten some wonderful irises on eBay (and some duds, I have to say). I learned who--and who not--to buy from. One great supplier on eBay is "redroo7." I bought 25-30 from her last year, and they have been great.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

SH I believe is owner of Gurney's also,. I used to buy from them for veg. seed etc. and now it is all trash. They ruined a long standing trusted company. I will never order from either again or Mich. Bulb. tiny tried up or wet mushy stuff in bags and too small to recover from anything. I got the Iris Lover one and I noticed none of them have the Hybridizer's name listed and wonder if these are not more of the Dutch knockoff's that look simalar but do not have the plant quality or genes of the real things.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.