GMO feed

(Zone 6b)

The lady that sold me my new hens recommended Dumor feed from Tractor Supply. I was trying to find if it was GMO, so far no information is coming my way, so I assume it probably is.

Many countries are resisting GMO foods, but check out these shocking statistics from this site, http://www.gmo-free-regions.org/gmo-free-regions/united-states.html about the USA.

Currently Commercialized GM Crops in the U.S. include:
Soy (89%), Cotton (83%), Canola (75%), Corn (61%), Hawaiian papaya (more than 50%), Alfalfa, zucchini and yellow squash (small amount), and Tobacco (Quest® brand). (Number in parentheses represents the estimated percent that is genetically modified.)(Source: Institute for Responsible technology)

The mad scientists are at it again. Where are our noble congressmen?

Conroe, TX

Yeah, it is really sad. If you want to avoid GMO's in your own human food, you have to eat organic as much as possible. Just FYI, King Arthur flours do not contain GMO grains. Pepperidge Farm products do.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, in time, I don't see how we will NOT be eating it. I mean, there is cross contamination, plants are being pollinated.. ugh.. I don't want to think about it.

Tulsa, OK

I receive a regular posting from Dr. Mercola, who's a naturalist, in my email. Just recently he had an article stating the we are "human guinea pigs for the GMO produce." Even the chemical co. that has a trademark or patent on it (Monsanto) doesn't know what the long-term effects on humans will be, and they won't let anyone else have access to their seeds to check it out. It's no wonder the main European countries won't buy our produce or animal products! Mansanto also has the market tied up so that if a neighboring farmer who does NOT plant GMO crops has his crops cross-pollinated by the wind, Monsanto can sue him for having the then-GMO ones, for "stealing" their products.

Also, I've heard that by this fall there will be a nation-wide shortage of corn in the U.S.. Just today on the news they said that due to all the bad weather, in just Oklahoma alone there will be a 50% loss of wheat production compared to other years. And we don't even have the Mississippi floods here. Doesn't sound so good! I wonder how much crop loss those horrible floods will cause? (Good think we have our own chickens! Just hope we'll have enough feed for them!) And speaking of those floods, I feel so sorry for all those people! And for those people in Missouri whose land and homes got flooded because the government blew up the dams to prevent more flooding downriver. Oh my!!! Lord help us all!!

Tulsa, OK

LFJ, if you find a chicken feed that for sure does NOT have GMO in it, please let us all know!

(Zone 6b)

Anything labeled organic is not supposed to be genetically modified. I haven't even seen organic chicken feed here and if I did, I'm sure it would be quite expensive.

I've watched videos on youtube of Monsanto suing farmers in Canada and completely taking their farms. Monsanto's seed blew onto the farmer's land without the farmer's knowledge and sprouted. Monsanto sued and took their entire farms. It is disgusting and honestly quite frightening, not only the affects on all our health, but it seems they are quite ruthless to land owners. Watch your back is all I know to say.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I still can't understand how that's allowed to happen, but then, I don't understand much in todays world :(. Fortunately, there's little commercial farmland near me, and if needed, I have the ability to "stealth" garden...

Tulsa, OK

Wat do you mean, "stealth garden"??

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

A garden that doesn't look like a garden. First, it's out of sight of anyone, not visible from the road, neighbor's homes. or property boundaries. Then, it won't look like a "garden". I'll plant things more randomly, and use no artificial supports, taking advantage of tree limbs and old fencing to keep the cukes and such off the ground. I'm planning to grow things that don't look like what they are, such as green tomatoes, so they don't scream "pick me"! It's a project in the making, and so far, more conjecture than reality. This year I'm encouraging the balckberries that grow of the edge of the "woods" in hopes that I can turn them into a living barrier to exploration:)

This message was edited May 13, 2011 6:53 AM

Tulsa, OK

Sounds fascinating! Hope you'll post a picture of your "not a garden" patch when you get it going!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Ah, but then the "stealth" is gone....

Seriously, if I get something done, I will take pics. I just got some climbing lima beans, and I'm going to see if I can find a sneaky place to grow them. I have a dead tree that might work. Unfortunately, some of the best spots are accessible to the cows, who feel that "weed" control is their primary job.

(Zone 5b)

Are you not allowed to garden in your area? If so, that is so WRONG!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

No, Annie, I'm allowed to do pretty much anything out here, but thanks for caring:). The "stealth" part comes in when other people seem to decide that my garden is apparently for their use. I don't mind sharing and offer when I get a chance, but it's awfully disheartening to get ready to finally pick what you've worked so hard to grow, and find it gone. I know that the economy has made feeding the family hard on people, but in some cases, I've heard of thieves taking everything, including plants.
It's a pet peeve of mine. I share seed at the drop of a hat, but I guess it's MUCH easier to have me grow them, as well.

sigh

(Zone 5b)

Sharing is the best part about gardening. That would really make me mad to have someone come along and steal the plants or produce. Why not ask? Some people don't care I guess. Hope you find some good hiding places!

Guwahati, India

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.