Help! Our iris look bad!

Ellinwood, KS(Zone 5b)

Our iris have been blooming for about a week now and have been looking great. Today however we had 90 degree heat. After going out tonight to look at the blooms, most are sagging and look dead. We are not sure what to do! We have graduation coming up this weekend and are worried they will look bad. Should we water them or will they come out of this? Thanks!
Kim & Michelle

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Perhaps it is just nature Kim. One Iris bloom just lasts one day just like daylilies. That is why we have to dead head every day hon. Hope they are not all done for graduation. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
South Hamilton, MA

An iris flower should last for 3 days. The heat may have pushed it along. I would deadhead the worst ones & hope that the heat also causes the next flower on the stalk to open. If there are 2 flowers in a single 'socket' removing the one which is past its life will give the 2nd flower more room.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

You are right iris I will watch mine more closely. An old woman told me that once and I believed. Sorry BEV

Ellinwood, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for your suggestions! Our iris have have perked up a lot since the heat has finally cooled down. They will be beautiful at graduation! Can't wait! :)
Kim & Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.