Birds Nesting & Activities in The Garden 2011 vol. #4

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I forgot to post this important event; the Cardinal started to sit on her nest for 3 days now. Temp. is really hot here in the mid. to high 90'ish each day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Awww! How neat that you will have baby cardinals soon! Wish we got them here. They are such pretty birds!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Skellogg, these could be the 3rd brood for the season. The 1st one I saw was on this location. After the babies fledged, they built the 2nd brood elsewhere. I did see some juvenile cardinals come and go to feeding station.

Yesterday, I noticed the mother Mallard left the nest for couple of hours. When she came back she's looked pretty happy and refreshed. She briefly left the area today, unless she went to feed, she doesn't cover the eggs. But if she were to leave for an extended time. She would have all these eggs covered in leaves and such.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
PERTH, Australia

Kim, you've probably already said this somewhere, but when do you expect them to hatch?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good afternoon (morning here) Margaret, duckmother (Kim) said that it takes 28 days-- I think from the 1st day of incubation. So that would be roughly around 1st week of July? Here is the Mallard taking a break from sitting, but keeping an eye out at the nest.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
PERTH, Australia

Thanks, Kim... and good evening!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Have a good evening Margaret, our duck has a friend visiting last evening.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I've got peeping going on!!!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Aww cute! Have you heard of the babies lately Marna?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is not a clear capture of the Carolina Wren, but s/he is showing interest in this gourd bird house. I hope. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It appears that the Momma duck sits at the nest all the time. I've noticed that she would carefully cover the eggs up every day between 5-7pm to take a break and feed herself. Then returned to sit on the nest just before sunset. This is the lovely mama in early morning. It's amazing that she's not fearful of me being very close to her when I tend to the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

aww. love her

yes, i've heard the peeping. Won't be long now until they are gone. boo hoo.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's one thing with babies, they grow up in a hurry. Just saw mama mallard returning to the nest. 815pm! She has been out late.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Things seem to progress along well. The Cardinal is found sitting on the nest occassionally, the nest is much higher than I can possibly reach so I couldn't tell if there are eggs in the nest. The Mallard hen is faithfully sitting on the nest most of the long hot summer days, only takes short break in between for meals and grooming chores. This morning a community of Canadian geese was passing through. It's nice to see so many goslings at one time.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 7:46 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Well, THAT's a beautiful shot.

Here's some wren babies. There are at least two.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh babies wrens. How high is nest Marna? I saw many a Chickadees, I'm not certain where they nesting at. Oh, Wingscapes is awesome. I ordered my birdcam on Sunday. It arrived yesterday. Expect more pix of the duckings family soon.

Kim, this nest box is pretty darn high. Maybe 8 feet off the ground. I have had the wingscapes camera on them for about a week now. I keep thinking they are going at any time!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

On average how long from the time they hatch until they fledge, Marna? I've seen quite a few Cardinal juvies the last few days. Many,many Housefinches juvies, but none care to pose for pics. lol

You know, I have not researched that yet. be back later with an answer. i don't know when the eggs were laid anyway. Cardinals i think are 10-17 days. or that might be sitting. I can't remember.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Marna, with the BirdCam 2.0 w/ Flash. I'm toying around with the idea where is the ideal location to place the camera. From this corner. I can visualize setting video for when the ducklings are lead out of the nest. That would be so cool. But the distance is a bit farther than the camera's capacity? I'm wondering out loud. See the large container on the corner of the pier? That's where the nest is.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

In contrast, if I mount the camera right on that post. Is it going to be too close? The minimum setting distance would be 18" - Ummm, I've some work to do here.

I think it depends on what kind of picture you want to get. If you set it to over 8 feet, then you get a wide view. In my opinion, this is only good for monitoring what's going on. Like say you wanted to know WHEN they fledged, not get a good picture of it. I find the best pictures are the 18 inches or less, in terms of being able to see the birds. I'm not sure what the flash reach is. Right now I have mine for the wrens on 37" to 8 feet and it still picks up all the movement.

18 inches is pretty close. I have mine on a tripod, so that's how I get it close to feeders and the chickadee house. Did you see there is an arm for it (ordered separately). I think it mounts to a pole.

sample of 18"

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those info. is very helpful, thank you Marna. And wow, the clarity on that sample pix of 18" distance. It appears that the angle that I would like to mount the camera as shown is out, for the distance is great than 8'. Awk!

I may have to get into the water and errect a pole just for the birdcam. Gotta talk this over with the DH, lol. And yes, I've seen arm to attatch the camera onto other pole/tree ect. structure, and I've got that too.

From other angle that I can position the camera there will be trees and plants on the way. I'll need to do some trail runs and see how it works out having take photos of the Momma duck comes and goes to the nesting site.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

You might want to simply get another pot to place near theirs and put the camera on it. Do you have a tripod? you can pick one up for 10 bucks probably.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, a tripod maybe easy to move about, unfortunately wingscape suggests that most tripods are not made to withstand the outdoor's. Here is one dry run result from the birdcam set at greater than 8 feet away.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Hey, that will work! Might want to tilt down a bit.

About the tripod, I have an old, busted up one setting outside for that very reason. and i suppose if you can find some cheap ones at garage sales, you won't really mind if they are not weatherproof or not. I just try to weight it down on windy days. especially if it is near the water. That way I don't have a repeat of ruining the last one.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

There is not much activity going on other than I trying the new birdcam. Thanks Marna, for your help. I'll post more when something new happens. I decide, if I need a better quality pic. I'll use my good cam. I'll use the birdcam to monitor when the chicks fledge. Anticipation is driving bonker. lol

Momma duck was seen leaving the nest today, she flew off (as to leave no scent for other critters to find her nest, I guess) after she covered the eggs. That gave me some time to work in the garden without disturbing her.

you're welcome.

Well, today was fledge day. I was out monitoring butterflies, so missed it. Not like I would have known anyway. I've seen the two adults and two kids hanging out here in the area.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Here's one alone.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
PERTH, Australia

That's wonderful, Mrs Ed.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How sweet they're Marna! Love, love those little ones. Sweetpea in pic.? Can we name them Sweetpeas please?

We can not name the sweet pea, as it is an heirloom variety. We call it "Rudy's Sweetpea" because Rudy was the previous owner of my sister's house. I have a seedling coming up if you want I"ll send you. or can send seeds later this year.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh I meant the Baby wrens, can we please call them Sweetpeas. lol Thanks for your offer on the seeds. Do they require lots of sun? Thank you Marna.

ohhhhh

ha. Yah, Let's name them Sweetpeas. Sweetpea in the sweetpea.

Mine are in mostly full sun. I think it gets shady about 3 or 4 pm.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I so love sweetpeas and when I lived up north I grew them all the time. I love cool temps, so in AL they will come alive come fall, don't expect too much when the heat is around. They grow very fast and will cover a fence, arbor or trellis in no time.

Jan

I had a hard time starting this plant. My sister kept giving me seedlings and they kept failing to make it. This one I raised from seed though, and it has done the trick. It's a lovely perennial variety. Flowers fade to a light blue.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

I finally found our Mockingbird's nest. She has 4 eggs in this nest in a fruitless mulberry tree. I was very surprised at how blue they are.

Thumbnail by LEW_TEX
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats Lew.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

any baby ducks yet....? I know it is still a little early but sometimes you never know.

Jan

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Jan. Soon, if I've figured it right. It should be July 7th. Unless they come early. I can't wait either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.