Birds Nesting & Activities in The Garden 2011 vol. #4

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1165897/

This afternoon, all of a sudden I've a salvo of activities in the garden involving the HOSP, as well as Eastern Blue Birds...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Not long after the HOSP checked out the other nest box. My male BB came out to defend for his territory. I've seen the female hunting regularly in the backyard, but no activity that I've noticed.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

There was no confrontation, while the male Blue Bird perched on the upper top of the broken oak branch. The male HOSP perched right below the Blue Bird. I was afraid of confrontational activity between the two. But, it was a semi-peaceful stand off.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The male Blue Bird did go in and out of the nest box to signal the other (HOSP) to stay away.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

While the male BB was staking out at the other nest box as shown above. The male HOSP didn't seem to care, he resumes his activity at the old White-breasted Nuthatches' nest box.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

He perches outside the nest box and calls, and calls.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh my, little as I knew. The female HOSP arrived! (pix above, I didn't know until after I posted the pix).

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The male BB still at the other nest box when the female HOSP arrived next door.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here I think I saw the female HOSP came to the hanging feeder. If it wasn't for the male HOSP present, I would have mistaken this one as one of the regular Sparrows, e.g. chipping, song, or chipping Sparrow.

Sorry wrong pix.

This message was edited May 8, 2011 7:21 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

As you know, I took the pictures but didn't get to see the birds clearly while I took pics. By the time I realized what was going on. It was late. Tomorrow, I'll monitor the nest box activity. I will try to discourage the HOSPs from nesting in the garden if I can. Wish me lucks.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Last pix for the evening;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

oooo, HOSP tention at Lily Love Lake!

Marlton, NJ

Yuck HOSP. Hope you can get them out of there Lily.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Sorry about those Hosp...they can really cause havoc for the Blues. I had to resort to extreme measures this year so the Blues could nest!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Morning all. I begun the morning with a female BB hunting on a tree branch.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Soon my attention was drawn to the WBNH's nest box;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Such sweet sight! My WBNH was circling around the entrance, but didn't go inside???

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Seconds later, the Nuthatch was confronted by the female HOSP coming from outside of the nest box ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Unbeknown to me and the little Nuthatch, his adversary was actually inside the house! This pix was taken after the female HOSP flew off, and the Nuthatch returned to find the male HOSP inside!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Marlton, NJ

OMG that is not good!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Just about that time I decided that a "No vacant" sign is warrented. So I put one up. I pinched off a red Rose and plugged the entrance hole;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hah, the HOSP didn't know what to make of it. But not long afterward, his female partner figured it out and pulled the red Rose of the entrance. I didn't see her in action. But by the time I saw the Rose was gone from the door. I spotted the male HOSP was perching outside up on the tree top.

He appeared to have checked the plugged entrance out, but didn't know what to do at that point as seen here;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Luckily, thus far there were no active chasing of one another. The Nuthatches continued to come to the grains feeder for refuel. Then up on the tree top and away from the HOSP's pathway.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Around here, the HOSP will kind of ignore the other birds' nests and even the birds until the BB and Dees and such have laid their eggs, and sometimes even until after they have hatched and are almost ready to leave the nests and fledge before the HOSP will take over and kill the little fledglings, and parents. Or they wait until the eggs are laid and they are incubating them, and then kill the adults and throw out the eggs. Nasty things, those HOSP :-( Good luck getting rid of them.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

We have good news. BB are back to nest box that HOSP ran them away from back in March. Momma started this morning building a nest and has worked all day on it while papa guards. They never had an opportunity to build a nest in March and just disappeared. So far, no HOSPS. Hope this time they leave them alone.
We have other BBs that have never left, that we see almost every day but have no idea where they are raising their young. Juveniles are busy gathering food which is neat to watch.
I bought a very small bird bath today. I figured it would just be a yard ornament but Momma BB found it within 30 minutes and really enjoyed it. Then Cardinals and Mockingbirds took their turn.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Well by day ends, I have plugged the entrance twice and failed. The Hosps removed them. So I found a piece of drift wood that fits just right. I kept it there for several hours, then I removed. After supper. I camped out the garden and watched for any activity. Only noticed the Nuthatch rummaging around the vicinity. I did hear the HOSP's call, but couldn't find them all evening.

Marlton, NJ

Here is a pic of our nesting House Wren.

Meanwhile Mamma Robin has hatched at least 1 egg yesterday. She is an absolute dear!

As for the nesting Chickadee's (I call them my "mute" Chickadees since they are pretty much silent all the time) if it weren't for the nest box I wouldn't even know they were here.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

I haven't seen our wrens yet this year, but I sure hope they come back and nest here again. They are such cute little things!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

LL, order yourself a hole restrictor.

http://www.tmbstudios.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ERV%2DPH2C%2DS

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LEW_TX I'm glad to hear your BB didn't give up dispite the HOSP's harrassment earlier on. My BBs have checked out several nest boxes in my garden (especially this early spring) but none were serious tenants. I was surprised to see them coming back and defended the unoccupied nest box.

Hah, the House Wrens-- I learned that it could be pretty territorial too. I am not aware where about my Carolina Wrens nesting this year. They didn't come back to the Gourd I've hung out for them this season. Hah, Pelle the silent Dees, because they're contented partners. lol I haven't heard them singing much since the weather is warming up. I love their calls/songs. My Titmice is a different story. I don't know if these maybe the younger generation that's just finding their perspective mates. lol. Also, evidently, the Northern Cardinals are working on their 2nd brood -- as I've observed a female with straw on her beak these weekend. :))

Hi skellogg, please keep us posted on your bird's nesting activity.

Marna, I'm liking that mealworm feeder from that website. lol I could sure use some of those hole restrictors as well. Thanks.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I was chatting away and forgot my main point. It's this: The HOSPs aren't around. I don't want to get my hope up. Then be let down. But so far, since last evening. I've not seen 'em. Yeah!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

So far so good, my BBs came by to perch on the tree branches every so often. No sign of the HOSP nor have I heard their song.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A new comer is seeking out nesting materials;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I hope that wasn't a female HOSP....fingers crossed until I get a possitive I.D. She has came by yesterday and again today.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A juvie Brown Thrasher was seen practicing foraging. It was calling out for attention I think.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A mourning Dove heard the cry and came to check it out. The two appear to get along well.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thus far, no nesting building activity has taken place ... but at one time I've seen 4 White Breasted Nuthatches running up and down the tree to look at the nest box over....

I do see the Nuthatches at the feeder as a pair more often lately.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mother goose with two goslings. I saw they came from the west side heading over toward the other end of the lake....

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Then I saw an odd behavior. The mother cried out and flew off and away....left the two goslings swimming by themselves.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.