ID a tree?

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

This is a medium sized tree, with ruffled peach and white double blooms. The buds are little round balls, and the foliage reminds me of a crepe myrtle. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Blooming in May in coastal Georgia.

Thumbnail by happytail

Here's another picture of the same tree. You can see the bud up in the upper part of the photo.

Thumbnail by happytail
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I am not positive but I think it is a pomegranate, their flowers are usually ruffly and they hang down like that. It certainly is beautiful!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Does look like a Pom. but I've not seen those double flowers. Obviously they exist http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?number=5&find=Punicaceae&imagesonly=1 Can you get a photo of the whole tree?

I was on the St. Simon's Island Garden Walk today, and this tree was in the yard across the street from the Garden Walk House. It may very well be a Pomegranate. The buds look like those, and maybe I can find that color. The foliage looked very much like a crepe myrtle, until I got right up to it. Thanks so much, and I'd be very happy for any more information you might find.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is pic of carnation flowering pomegranate out in the Tucson Botanical Garden. I NEED one of these...lol
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, we all do.

Blackshear, GA

I agree with pomegranate. I have one and looks just like it, except mine has solid orange blooms.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Never thought of growing a pom for the flowers. I have a couple of young poms but they just get red flowers.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm placing an order for 2, of theese.LOVE them. Mike

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Do those actually fruit???

No, double flowering poms are non fruiting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.