Can I transplant tulips now?

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

Hi again everybody,

Now that I'm back on, I'm really going to get my money's worth ;-)

So, I'm sure it's better to transplant tulips in the fall when you'd normally plant bulbs, but I'm worried the leaves will wither and I'll forget where they are. Can I transplant them now? Or if not, does anyone have a good trick for remembering where they are so I don't dig up the wrong stuff? (They're these gorgeous bright red species tulips, but I planted an azalea a friend gave me, and the flowers turned out to be purple and it looks kind of funny... I figured it'd be better to redistribute the tulips than shock the azalea again...)

Thanks!
Meg

Thomaston, CT

I've planted potted tulips this time of year, but have never tried planted ones.....give it a try....

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I will. We'll see what happens. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes. Wait until the tulips die off or at least until leaves are yellow green. They maight take a year off but I have treansplanted some that bloomed this year after not doing anything.

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

Okay, the leaves are wilting now, so we'll see. I'm just worried if I wait too long, I won't know where they are anymore.

Or maybe it's just okay to have red and purple together, rather than mess with the poor tulips?

Tie a string on each one. Red one = red string.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Red and purple sound good to me. I am known for not fearing color.

Thomaston, CT

Yeah....I like red & purple tulips together!

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I did transplant after blooming and as long as you keep the green they should be fine. I also pulled tulips and put them in a big pot of dirt to die back naturally then put them where I wanted them. The important thing is to keep the leaves so they can gain the strength to bloom again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.