Iris time is here!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have two dwarf bearded iris showing color. those buds were not there last week. I look at them every day. These are dark purple. I think my Iris 'Rock Star' has a bud but it was thundering and raining as I came up the driveway. I will have to go out tomorrow morning and look again. Yayyyy! my favorite time of the garden year after daffodils.
Martha

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I agree, iris flowers are my favorites (especially Japanese iris). The bearded ones don't look so nice after they finish blooming, though, and I have trouble with iris borers and whatever causes the yellow spots in the leaves making them even uglier. I've moved many of the bearded plants to the non-display area so I can enjoy the flowers when they bloom (cutting them to bring in) but don't have to stare that the ugly plants the rest of the summer.

Thomaston, CT

Don't have that problem.....I love the iris foliage in the beds....nice contrast.....no buds on any iris yet, can't wait for them to pop!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I just came back from Washington, DC where tall bearded Iris season is in full swing. They were fabulous. I just started noticing buds breaking from the foliage here the day before we left which was last Tuesday. Since we are having a chilly monsoon this week, I expect total spring up growth when next the sun hits them. As for borers, supposedly a thin layer of wood ash on the rhizomes gets to them. The ones that bloomed were my dwarf beardeds always earlier than the talls. Also, bone meal on them when first you see the new leaves come out. I have to divide some this year as well.
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Many of my TBI are budded now, & the dwarfs are blooming....here is Puddy Tat.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats a beauty Marilyn. Here is my Tahoma

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have others but noid's

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

NOID

Thumbnail by ge1836
Thomaston, CT

I especially like Tahoma next to that huechera!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.