Salvia azura

Arlington, TX

Anyone grow this one and have advice about conditions, size in a garden?
C

Candor, NC

Salvia azurea grandiflora is found as a native in the Great Plains and is zone 5 hardy. It has evolved to grow through prairie grasses and is tall and thin. It will form a clump that can occasionally be divided. It can get from 2.5 to 4 feet tall and about 1.5 feet wide. It does well in loam and sandy soils.

There are several forms, including Nekan, found inear the Kansas-Nebraska border.

Arlington, TX

Full sun? drought tolerant? Do you grow this one or is it too weedy.

Candor, NC

It takes full sun well, and is not weedy. It is pretty drought tolerant, but that is a question of the soil type. Can you occasionally deep water, say once a week?

Arlington, TX

I do water as needed which is pretty often in TX in the summer. I planted it in a bed with good soil, full sun that will get supplemental water so lets see how tall it gets...I will take pics when it starts to put out some growth. It hasn't wilted so its doing ok thus far.
C

London, United Kingdom

As Richard said, there are several forms..................of azurea..........not azura!

Sorry to be pedantic...........let's just name the species correctly. (Sure I am not perfect and must have many mistakes on my site!)

S. azurea is a lovely Salvia, but in England, where it is totally hardy, it really needs some support, and will flop untidily otherwise.
But definitely worth growing, the flowers are really beautiful'

Arlington, TX

I have no idea which variety this is, it was a trade. It might get a trim if it starts getting leggy. And, thanks for the correction.
C

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>there are several forms...of azurea

i was just out scanning my winter sown containers and found some S. azurea seedlings. they are "Pitcher Sage"
I was excited to see them.

Arlington, TX

It was given to me as pitcher sage, S. azurea. I know its native here but I will have to see it bloom to make a guess as to its variety. I plan on ordering a couple more.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

when i googled it, it shows it's a 'prairie' plant in the midwest... i'm hoping it's a perennial for me. I could not find a zone hardiness.

Arlington, TX

It's a perennial here but I am not sure about zone 5.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

if so... hopefully it's a heavy reseeder. I also find that with many Agastaches too. most really nice ones are not hardy here. I just LOVE blues.

Candor, NC

Salvia azurea grandiflora is indeed hardy to USDA Zone 5. So is the form Nekan, which gets its name from the states of Nebraska and Kansas. It was found near the state lines of those two states close to Colorado.

Arlington, TX

I had 3 that grew quite tall and only had a few flowers, not very impressive. I am hoping its because its their first year and we have had such a heat wave here. Not a good year to judge a new plant.
C

Severna Park, MD(Zone 7a)

This is 'Nekan'

Bob

Thumbnail by Bob_71

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.