Clematis talk continues...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Springtime, new clematises arriving and sharing photos - let's continue talking about our wonderful clematises.

Coming from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1173104/#new

Thumbnail by pirl
(Debra) Garland, TX

I planted two Miss Bateman's last week. Thank you for letting me see what it will look like later. :-)

I love that one. For a white clematis, for me, it's a tie between Miss Bateman and Lanuginosa Candida.

I will be buying another Miss Bateman, definitely.

Athens, PA

JoAnn

You have jogged my memory. I spoke with Connie at Joy Creek previously. She was great.

Kathy - Your Miss Bateman is gorgeous. I cut mine way back last Summer - we will see what she does this year.....

Thomaston, CT

Those clems are beauties, Kathy!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Connie at Joy Creek has given my credit card a pass for the clem. She admitted it wasnt up to their standards.
The packers at JC must not have been on the ball. The plant was in a small pot as well. I think it was sent from a late emergance group that a helper found. The other three clems were in gallons with photo and printed with my name and I think the date ordered. I am impressed with their system.
I will put plant 'n pot in the ground an watch it this summer.

Watch, it will end up being a tremendous grower!

Those Joy Creek pots with the name of the plant, as well as the purchaser's name, impressed me, too!

Thumbnail by pirl
Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

I just love when a company has great customer service. if you hadn't called, they might have lost you as a customer forever, instead they gained a loyal customer forever because they are doing everything they should, and then some, to fix the problem.

I have ordered Iris from Schreiners for a couple of years now. One of the bonus plants died the first winter. When I was chatting with them, and mentioned it, - and even though I wanted the bonus, it was a freebie after all and it didn't matter to me that it died - they replaced that bonus in addition to the regular bonus I normally get from them. They didn't have to do it, but they did.

I would gladly pay more, for wonderful customer service ~j

Me, too!

Athens, PA

I am willing to pay more for good customer service than save money and have no customer service or poor customer service.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats why I didnt identify the one I thought they omittid. It was due for transplant I'm sure. I went back to JC website because I needed the spelling and couldnt find it listed any more. Connie was very nice. I gave them a positive review. I like a company who doesnt argue. I really felt I wasnt being unreasonable.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Miss Bateman is stunning. I have 2 and the other is a year younger but still doing well. Westerplatte and Ivan Olsson opened yesterday (planted together). They are still slowly growing, probably slower than most.

Here is Miss Bateman for this newer thread.
Kathy

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Thomaston, CT

Such a pretty clem! Here is my Brushwood order which came today....I'm very pleased with it!

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Terrific, Marilyn. They all look good.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Zuzu's Crystal Fountain, taken yesterday when I stopped by.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

It's planted against a pretty trellis.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

And her Josephine

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pretty great

Glorious, Sue!

Thomaston, CT

Love the fuzzy centers.....

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I planted Crystal Fountain last fall and have it against a bright red kids iron bed headboard. That should make for one shocking display when it grows enough to cover it. It's only a couple feet tall now so it's going to take some time.

Here is a better picture of Miss Bateman taken yesterday. She wraps around the chicken wire at the base and swirls into the tree. So many stunning flowers!

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm having a hard time catching Claire de Lune in the right light or with the right camera adjustments to get a full plant shot. The flower speaks for it's beauty.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is the full shot against an evergreen. I've take dozens of pictures of her for days and just can't capture her quality shades.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This is a 3 ft circle with rebar & chicken wire. Housed here is Lady Betty Belfour and Huldine. I don't know where to go next year with this "monster" as we call it.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This picture is the same circle taken May 18 2010. I must say the picture above is the less busy of all the sides. It's over the top just 2 weeks from where it was last year.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Star Burst which seems to be the same as PINK CHAMPAGNE but not sure.....any ideas?

Edited: Type 2

This message was edited May 7, 2011 9:19 AM

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

Gorgeous plants and photos, as usual! Thanks, Kathy.

No idea on the last one but it's stunning.

Thomaston, CT

Very healthy looking plants...the pink is very vibrant in Starburst....

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

I am not often a fan of pink flowers, but oh my, that Starburst is beautiful.

And you clem folks now have me wondering where I can stick up a corner fencing piece in my yard, just to plant some clems to grow along it. Talk about enabling!!! ~j

Or...find a pretty old gate and plant it where no one would expect to find a gate!

Thumbnail by pirl
Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Ohh, that's a good idea too - although I would more likely place it as a deterrent to stop the dogs from using shortcuts through my garden ~j

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I went over to the old house today to see if any of the clems I couldn't find last year were around this year. I dug up 4 more. I have no idea what they are but they looked good and the roots were great.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

You can put a clematis on so many things. Chicken wire stapled to a post or log/stump, a metal bed, hand railing that normally goes horizontal and be vertical to make a great trellis. I've made copper trellis' after Diamond123 (Dan) told me how easy they are and if nothing else - the tomato cages (new bright colors out now) turned upside down are simple with a few landscape fabric staples holding them in place. I run twine from a trellis up into trees or onto the house to give them climbing room.

When I yard sale I always look at things as different objects, not what they are intended to be. The Trash to Treasure thread is fun to visit.
Kathy

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Just discovered I have buds on two of my clematis. Jackmanii and Proteus are both budding up, on the same trellis. Looks like I just may have a couple bloom while the peonies are going after all. Unfortunately, they are not the four that are next to the peonies, but still. . . :) Should be quite a show!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's my NOID clematis that seems to have found it's way onto my fence from behind the brick column. It wasn't this tall last year. I came home from work one day, and found that it had grown so much and hooked itself to the top of the fence. Hopefully my DS won't kill it when he and his friends play basketball on the driveway.

This message was edited May 7, 2011 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a closer view of the bloom, and it's full of unopened buds.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Love all your stone work and the fencing. Aren't clematis amazing at finding where they want to grow as opposed to where we mere mortals thought they should grow?

I hope you get a name for it.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks pirl. This one has a mind of it's own. The bloom is small and usually bell shaped, but today, it appears larger than last years, and more splayed open.

Please take a photo when it's in the bell shape stage. That would drastically reduce the possibilities for a name.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the suggestion pirl, I will. Since joining DG, I've been better about keeping name tags with the plants. I've also bought plants without tags, only because I love the blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.