Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Xiongs is a beautiful Morning Glory, love the dark color

Thumbnail by patootie
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow pretty

Thanks Marie. May start one of these if I have any sds left

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Jackie - I wonder if the Xiongs originally came from the Kyushu University? Nice color on those blooms. Are the blooms smaller than the typically larger I. nils? Did you get the seeds from Joseph?

I still haven't started any seeds outdoors like I've been wanting to. Life is sure hectic and busy right now for me! Grrrr ...

But ... I did sow a number of seeds from a vine I grew last year. Growing all of the seeds together in 15 gallon pot. I am growing them next to the Cape Honeysuckle tree with all the upper branches dead from 2 years ago (frost killed them back). Thought it might look interesting to see how they look climbing up that tree and blooming! I am always looking for things for the vines to climb! LOL!

This is one that was labeled Fuji Kawata. But I believe the true cultivar name is "Asagiri": http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/133772/ I got the original seed from Helena.

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Mesilla Park, NM

Jackie, that is a very nice rich purple color, is it that color?

Well, I finally got the first I. nil bloom for 2011 and it is out of some black seeded blue speckled vine seeds from F2s, I have two types of blue speckled flowers, some have the tan seeds and some have the black seeds.

This one is a carrier for the blue specks, it came out a nice fushia pink, I don't know if it is off color now, but, this flower is a carrier for the blue specks. This is an F3 and hopefully it will give me seeds for the next growout. To those that I sent the black seeded variety of the blue specks, please don't be dissappointed if you get something like this. Somewhere along the line the specks will come back out.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Beautiful photo and bloom, Antoinette! I wonder how the blooms will look when the blue speckles come back in future seed generations of this vine?

Mesilla Park, NM

Here is the whole plant, there is a second seedling in this cup that is very short and has the speckled stem, so there will be specks on this seedling, they are both seedlings from seeds from the same F2 vines, so there is a variance in each seedling. Very interesting to say the least.

The Tan seeded blue speckled are coming along nicely and have specks on all the stems, some of these F3s are dusky blue with very few specks and they currently have buds on them. I'll post those when they bloom.

I don't know if you can see the smaller seedling in the bottom of the cup, and the leaves are so different also.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, these are from the same bulk of seed stock that I sent you a couple of years ago. I didn't grow any out last year though. Did you get any like these? What happens is that lots of folks cull out anything without specks so they don't know what they would have gotten. I don't cull, I let them bloom to see what comes out. Knowing that they carry the genes in them, is one reason I don't cull out the seedlings. The speckled may or may not come out, but, chances are that the genes are in there.

A - Are those from the same vine parents as the Blue Speckles that I grew out last year?

Mesilla Park, NM

Yes, they are from my original stock, did you get any blooms like these from any of the vines? Or did you cull to isolate the blue speckles?

None like that! Mine were either almost solid white. Or were some form of blue speckles. Yours are most surprising to see those blooms and the color! I am definitely growing some more of my seed stock out this year to see what else I get. I sure got some interesting ones from the F1 seeds from my original vine. You never know what you might get when you grow those seeds! The mystery is what keeps me growing more! LOL!

Mesilla Park, NM

Yes, they are interesting to say the least. In 2004 the seeds were black, blue flowers, red centers, in 2005 the seeds were tan with light blue flowers almost grayish, then in 2006 the seeds were black and blue specks and in 2007 the seeds were tan and blue specks, then the seeds were black in 2008, Tan in 2009 and I didn't grow any in 2010 so, I'm growing the tan colored seeds now to see what comes out, they have specks and ticks so far on the stems. I don't know what is causing the color of the seeds changing from year to year.

This is a different set than the black seeded variety of blue specks, one has nothing to do with the other at all. The black seeded variety has stayed consistently black, never changing or turning into tan seeds.

Who knows, it was discarded here and people were told that tan seeds didn't produce anything special, but they do, and it also was insinuated that it didn't mean a thing, but, I disagree, something is causing this and it is interesting to me and others. And they indeed do produce very nice flowers.

Well, you may be right in your theory, A! No one knows everything about MGs, so anything is possible! :-)

Drat, I just lost my whole reply, have to start over.
Becky, Joseph did send me the Xiongs sds. They might have been originally from K Univ. Can't remember if he told us this or not.
I have a sd of Fuji Kawata up. I hope mine doesn't croak and that it is as pretty as your bloom. Yours is a gorgeous color.
A I think my pics are very close to Xiongs true color. Ir was darker looking on cloudy days.
Your bloom is a beauty too A. Great color.
I'm so far behind but still trying to start more mg sds.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

Joseph got it from a trade. he says so here http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/gal121017255604.html

I remember Joseph saying that. :-)

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, the seeds came from China with no name - so he named it after the lady he got the seeds from

Mesilla Park, NM

Something like my trade for Dracula..

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

So basically they were not Joseph's. He got them in a trade from someone else who created them. in truth they are Xiong's seeds. Her morning glory. who knows she may even of named it. Anybody bother to ask her?

Mesilla Park, NM

Marie, that is a very valid question. Makes you wonder how many seeds have been "Introduced" as their own?

Melbourne, FL

Open this morning.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

gardenpom - Very lovely collage of blue-purple blooms! :-)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i love the first one and the speckled one the best. the rest are stunning too

Gautier, MS

I had a few mg's bloom today but somehow the date on my camera is wrong. It was also neat to see a bumble be go from lav. mist to the Pharbitis bloom as I just took them out of the gh.

Edit to say that Lav. Mist is from one of Antoinettes seed trade, Thanks A.

This message was edited May 7, 2011 9:26 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

This is the Phartibis bloom from South Korean seed envelope.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh my goodness.........I never knew there were so many types of MG's. They are stunning. TY everyone for sharing~~ :)

Gautier, MS

This is from Park's Blue Tie Dye.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Lovely blooms you're getting Helena. I'm a long way from blooms, :-(

Helena - I agree with Jackie! Those blooms are lovely! I am partial to the Blue Tie-dye! But they are all of beautiful form and a joy to see! Thank you for sharing photos of them! I don't have any new blooms to post either. My starter indoor vines have a long way to go before they produce blooms...

Mesilla Park, NM

I got a blue speckled bloom yesterday and made my first cross-cross with the fushia.. I'll upload the photos tonight. Got lead feet now, boy am I one tired lady.

A.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Ladies!! Happy Mother's Day!!!

I had a few more blooms today! This one is a speckled bloom from Karen05, it certainly looks like it has a very light yellow cream color.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

This one Hama Fubuki

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

The one with a long name that I can't remember nor spell!!

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

And another favorite, Chachamaru.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena - Yay!!! Love all those blooms! I am particularly fond of your Chacha! But my favorite is the ruffly Hama Fubuki! Beautiful!! All looking most lovely for you on Mother's Day!

Here is a photo taken this morning of Sidare (or Shidare - whichever way it is considered correctly spelled).

The best thing though about Sidare is it's weeping habit! It is not a climbing MG at all! :-)

I shared most of my seeds last year with just about everyone I did a trade with, so I hope to see some grow-outs by others of this very rare and unusual MG from Kyushu University in Japan!

This message was edited May 8, 2011 11:53 AM

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I like that last photo — makes me think all the Russelia flowers have eyes and are straining to see the beauty of the MG. :)

Helena, I'm partial to the Hama Fubuki too.
Becky, pretty Sidare.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.