I'm a married woman!!!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

as some of you may know i'm in the process of moving to the US in search of a better life.. Hubby has been relocated to Alabama for work.. We had to be married for me to go too.. So over the past 6 weeks we through together a wedding of 136 people.. I had the time of my life..
jen

Thumbnail by smurf428
Norristown, PA

Congratulations -- wonderful picture -- you all look happy -- and that is most important!

Sharon

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Congratulations!! So happy for you Jen :)))
YOU and Hubby look great!! Your baby is adorable :)))
Welcome to the USA!!!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Were not there yet soon enough.. I cant wait to get over there so i can get all the plants that are so hard for me to get being in canada.. And to boot all my cannas can stay in the ground :)

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy being in the US.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Congratulations! Lovely photo! Thank you for sharing. I hope you and yours enjoy Alabama! Being able to grow many of the plants I had been wishing to grow for so many years is only one of the reasons we moved south. Enjoy!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm very into tropical gardening.. my whole collection is pretty much cannas, elephant ears and hardy hibiscus.. Being in canada the only thing i can leave outside is the hardy hibiscus.. This makes for a long planting in the spring and even longer in the fall to store them all.. I know the ears are still not able to be left out, but leaving the cannas outside will save me 20+ hours alone every year.. I know here theres a chance we can grow the basjoo banana, but i havent took a chance.. once i get down there and settled its the first thing on my list.. I might even attempt more tropical then i/m use to here, and just bring them in for the very short winter.. if thats what you want to call there cold season, its more like our spring temps..

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

To what part of AL are you moving--if I may ask? Here most people leave the common elephant ears in ground. Only the expensive varieties are worth digging for winter.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

cullman alabama, the map says its zone 7 and ears wont last in that.. I guess if i really wanted to i could mulch them really good and hope for the best... the way i see it though if its only cool at night and for about 6 weeks, i can deal with them growing in the house for a bit.. I kept my upright one alive here all winter.. that one has been in the house since october and still alive.. Its very leggy and the leaves are small but still green... They can deal with little sun so there great for over wintering indoors even if your lighting is poor.. I have 7 different ones, i would hate to loose them..

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Ah, we are in zone 8a. Neighbor does have nice EE's, but he did lose some this past winter. He has a lot, though. So I think he leaves the common ones to fend for themselves as a time saving measure. He says they survive here in the ground about 80% of the years he's been growing them. He just digs up the really "special" ones every year. Must work because they always look nice!

Once again, good luck with your move!

Calgary, Canada

Congratulations! And many years of happiness together!
Happy gardening in the southern climes too!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Im looking forward to it.. I a bit scared of the new pest that i might encounter, and fire ants scare me!!! all the new knowledge i will learn about gardening in the south, and figuring out what is best where is all every exciting.. My garden here is just the way i want it, so i guess its time to try something different in a whole new world really...

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Congrats!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.