CLOSED: Three Sisters Garden

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish Nishnoh *Greetings Everyone*,

I have some Three Sisters Garden seed packs available. You might call the Three Sisters Garden the Native American version of a Victory Garden... lol. I have them in two sizes, small and large. Please let me know if you are interested.

Three Sisters Small Pack #1 contain the following:
Mini Indian Corn 'Wampum', Anasazi Bean, Acorn Squash 3 pks

Three Sisters Small Pack #2 contain the following:
Mini Indian Corn 'Wampum', Anasazi Bean, Butternut Squash 4 pks

Three Sisters Small Pack #3 contain the following:
Mini Indian Corn 'Wampum', Anasazi Bean, Hubbard Squash 'Baby Blue' 3 pks

Three Sisters Small Pack #4 contain the following:
Mini Indian Corn 'Wampum', Anasazi Bean, Hubbard Squash 'Mini Orange' 1 pk

The large packs of Three Sisters include: 1/2 oz. each of 'Wampum' Mini Corn and Great Northern bean, plus 24 seeds of either 'Mini Orange' or 'Baby Blue' Hubbard Squash.

Three Sisters Large Pack #1 contain the following:
Mini Indian Corn 'Wampum', Great Northern Bean, 'Mini Orange' Hubbard Squash 2 pks

Three Sisters Large Pack #2 contain the following:
Mini Indian Corn 'Wampum', Great Northern Bean, 'Baby Blue' Hubbard Squash 2 pks

THREE SISTERS ROW GARDEN: Mound soil 12-inches high by 18-inches wide and spacing mounds 3 to 4-feet apart.
Week # 1: Soak corn kernels overnight. sow 5 kernels 6-inches apart in center of mound in a cross shape; you will eventually thin them to 4 plants.
Week # 2: When corn is 4-inches high; soak overnight bean seeds and then plant 6 pole beans in a circle 6-inches away from corn. You will eventually thin them to 4 plants.
Week #3: Plant 4 squash or pumpkin seeds next to the mounds, about 1-foot away from the beans. You will eventually be thinning them to 1 plant.

GARDEN MAINTENANCE: When the corn is knee-high and again when silks appear on the husks, "side-dress" by putting a high nitrogen fertilizer (such as aged manure or fish emulsion) on the soil surface near each plant. If beans aren't winding their way around the corn, you can help by moving tendrils to the stalks. To allow room for corn and beans to grow, gently direct squash vines into walkways, garden edges, or between mounds. Once you observe young fruits, side-dress the squash plants with aged manure or compost. If you pinch off the tips of squash runners after several fruits have started to form, the plants will devote more energy to producing squash.

THREE SISTERS CONTAINER GARDEN: Using a 14 to 18-inch pot or half barrel, layer gravel on the bottom for drainage and potting soil on top.
Week #1: Soak corn kernels overnight. Sow 3 kernels in the center of the pot, in a triangle shape; you will eventually thin them to 1 plant.
Week #2: When the corn is 4-inches high; soak the bean seeds overnight and then plant 3 pole beans, 4-inches away, around the corn. You will eventually thin them to 2 plants.
Week #3: Plant 2 squash or pumpkin seeds 1-inch from the edge and about 2-inches away from the beans. You will eventually be thinning them to 1 plant.

GARDEN MAINTENANCE: When the corn is knee-high and again when silks appear on the husks, "side-dress" by putting a high nitrogen fertilizer (such as aged manure or fish emulsion) on the soil surface near each plant. If beans aren't winding their way around the corn, you can help by moving tendrils to the stalks. To allow room for corn and beans to grow, gently direct squash vines into walkways, garden edges, or between mounds. Once you observe young fruits, side-dress the squash plants with aged manure or compost. If you pinch off the tips of squash runners after several fruits have started to form, the plants will devote more energy to producing squash.

EATING HARVEST: The corn is ready to harvest, when the kernels are full and "milky", which is indicated by the silks becoming dry and brown. Corn, generally is ready to eat 18-24 days after ear silks first show.
SEED HARVEST: The corn is ready to harvest, when the husks begin to dry. Bring them in under cover to complete the drying process.

CORN LIKES: Bean, Cucumber, Melons, Pea, Potato, Pumpkin, Squash, Sunflower
CORN DISLIKES: Tomato, Pepper, Eggplant any plant in the Solanum Family.

Aquene *Peace*,
WautuckquesSochepo *SnowRabbit*
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

oH i SO want to do this! do you think it's too late to start in South Texas?
i know it will be getting hot soon, but this morning it was only 50 (presently 86).
I've never done this, but have started several times. The deer got my corn plants when they were knee high ;-(

What do you want in return?

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish *Greetings* Cajun2,

It should be fine to start a 3 Sisters' Garden. Which one would you like? Large or small and which squash? I would love to trade for your Pink Wood Sorrel- Oxalis articulata f. crassipes. I will Dmail you.

Aquene *Peace*,
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

This message was edited May 6, 2011 10:44 PM

Southborough, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Maccionaodha-

I was looking to do a 3 sisters this year. Do you have any packets left? What would you like in exchange?

Patricia

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish Patricia,

Yes, I do have some left. Which would you like? Here is a link to my Wish List: http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/list.php?list=want&member=maccionoadha

Aquene *Peace*,
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.