May 2011 brugmansias

West of Brisbane, Australia

Peanut X Ruffles and Flourishes, strongly scented tall grower with toothed leaves.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1176246/#post_8532901

This message was edited May 2, 2011 11:27 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
barmera, Australia

Cestrum she is beautiful. Colleen

Further to your comment re second and third generation Australian x hybrids, I agree ...so exciting!

Can't wait!
We have some real beauties to work with and the golden oldies with their unstoppable genes.

So just for everyone unfamiliar with the parents of cestrums lovely bloom here is Peanut
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/1769-peanut/

I can't find Ruffles perhaps cestrum can, I see a double grandparent in peanut who is a double too.

It's called Ruffles and Flourishes. I kept getting the name wrong, which is why the first message in this thread was edited twice!

You can see it here: http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/486-ruffles-and-flourishes/

The double gene must have come from Peanut.

Great genes yours is related to FFA by one grandparent ...the double one :) so it has the creamy/peachy in there too.
Come to think of it they just about all related .:)

Actually, that's not so surprising. Like FFA, it's a tall, strong grower. And look at the toothed leaves--don't they remind you of FFA?
I'm hoping to try crossing it with Golden Butter or a GB seedling, maybe see if it can bring those yellow tones out.
Plus, that would make it a unique Aussie hybrid :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Great thinking! good choices!

Sorry due to the huge news breaking in the USA I am not yakking away ...it's intense! and we can't speak of these things in the threads ...the leaves are my favourite Jurassic type, the leaves on Waynes seedling crossed to FFA'x Big are sporting them too that is wonderful.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Very, very, pretty cestrum......isn't wonderful that these doubles are coming through now....and different colours too.

Congratulations.

Yes, they're pretty. Funny thing is that the doubles give me a new appreciation for singles!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

‎​♪┌(∵)┘♪└(∵)┐♪ Loving your Angels but I do love the Simple elegance of a perfect single brug.‎​♪┌(∵)┘♪└(∵)┐♪

A celebration just the same to see the doubles coming through, we can have both! ‎​♪┌(∵)┘♪└(∵)┐♪ it was not that long ago that we could but wish for such things.
That is another stunning shot ...you can't tell me you don't love that pretty branch of leafy Angels, they are beautiful!

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Beautiful Cestrum!
Also Dianne (previous thread), congratulations on your "baby" too!

Just a few single, nondescript singles to boast of here at pres.
Checked on all your seedlings this morning Cestrum. Doing well.

Here is 'Mea Culpa' - became a little top heavy with the rain.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
barmera, Australia

Hi Wayne. Who is Mea Culpa's parents? Cestrum it is more beautiful in a cluster. Colleen

Wayne that's a beautiful golden trumpet ...I think it's just the thing for this cold weather it's lit up my screen and made me smile ^_^

I don't think there will be any more blooms here for a while it's sunless and cool, I have removed most of my blooms to allow the plants to build up strength for the Spring show, hopefully they won't freeze this Winter.

I think everyone should take a cutting or two of your darlings just in case.
I have done a few hopefully successful crosses but who knows how successful they may be, Autumn is usually a prime time but here in my area it's just pretty hopeless with windy cold and mostly wet conditions.
I hope others out there are doing ok with your crosses ^_^.

I am betting that PP cross of yours is BF ...but I guess we will never know!
Whhhaaaa I miss my babies already!!!!

Thumbnail by

For everyone starting to feel withdrawal symptoms and wanting some inspiration.

Wish I could speak the language but pictures speak all languages.
http://www.engelstrompeten.de/rot.html
I hope that link works. Just sigh over the beautiful pictures ...
I was very surprised at the Bergfeuer pod parent of HOPE because HOPE is a rich buttery yellow to orange, so I am looking forward to messing with it for the very same reason cestrum mentioned ...merging the colours into a lovely waxy beauty with both colours.

This message was edited May 2, 2011 8:40 PM

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

beautiful Chrissy...here's another link from the same web site,drool over there garden....no possums or wallabies there...

http://www.engelstrompeten.de/garten.html

Mya hi ...I hope you are sorting things out after everything that happened up your way ...yes beautiful link.
It feels strange to see the garden there so full of the kind of plants we grow in our gardens except for the massive brug variety but we are working on it.

Oh dear I guess the possums and wallabies are still there ...but guess you must pay a price for living in paradise. ^_^

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Quote from ctmorris :
Hi Wayne. Who is Mea Culpa's parents? Cestrum it is more beautiful in a cluster. Colleen

'Pink Panther' x noid

From the same pod came 'Sister Bertrille' and 'Giant'. Difficult to know which plant was the pollen parent as at the time the garden was full of bloom from every Brug! I believe from discussion a couple of years back that the orange in MC comes from PP.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

MC & SB

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Who would have thought that finally having some of your own doubles would give you a new appreciation of the beauties of the singles? Your two have stood the test of time Wayne--just as lovely now as when you discovered them--and I still love Pink Sweetie.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Chrissy, here is the latest Butterbomb 6 pointer. It got a bit squished against a couple of leaves.
Lots more buds coming . I think she is a quicker grower than GHA. Certainly more spreading here anyway.
You wouldnt believe she is still in a small 8"pot ( roots into the ground of course) Over 7"tall and nearly as wide.
I am not wanting to do any pruning as yet. I would like to wait as long as I can until the cold really gets here. I will take cuttings o fall my favorites in case we get a winter like last year.
I am hopeful of a few new blooms neat season as there are a few new Ys.
They are all so much slower here and I dont have a lot of room to shelter too many large plants. As each flowers, I am deciding who stays under the shadecloth and who has to live out in the orchard. The ones out there , although badly frost bitten, have grown back well. Now that the shrubs and trees in the orchard have grown taller, there is a little area in the middle where the angels live.
I have pods forming on Frosty and I am hoping one will take on Butterbomb.
GHA is a mass of blooms. I look forward to the days when I get that from the others.
He is still in his big pot but has roots into the ground. I am not wanting to disturb him , so he looks like staying in that pot. I may cut the second trunk off as it is as large and as floriferous ( is that a real word ) as the first. It will make a good standard. Perhaps it would be better to wait until spring for that.
Better go and make a start on erecting my new plastic. greenhouse
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

"cestrum_SEQ"]Yes, they're pretty. Funny thing is that the doubles give me a new appreciation for singles!

cestrum, I agree totally......the singles (even white..lol)...are so perfect when they fully open that they don't need the embellishment of extra skirts.
They really are chalk and cheese.....
You probably all have white singles just like mine, but this one fascinates me.....even after a few days, it seems not to have deteriorated at all.
The warm days didn't bother it and the " getting very cold " nights didn't either...
The perfume is baby powder with a bit of lemon......how's that Chrissy....it's as close as I can get.
There are lots of buds ready to open on it too.

Thanks Wayne....how many have you given a name to? I know a couple...could you list them please and their parents..I am making a list of all the cultivars that we have in our gardens that are locally grown..

Jean, I have planted your GHA next to my Aurea, which is in a pot......lots of buds on both....I will have to read up on pollinating.......
I think that I saved that post of yours cestrum, where you explained what you did....I will see if I did.

See what I mean...it's still lovely...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Having doubles is about scratching that itch we all have as " collectors".

Yes the singles seem to last longer (most of them ... not all) the doubles are really an accident of nature I think, oh but what an accident.

Gardeners have taken that accident and ran with it to make wondrous new trumpets of all colours and multiple skirts.

It's a challenge to improve multiple skirted brugs and who can resist a challenge?

I still love looking up into skirts ^_^ singles and doubles both,
lovely to hear everyone loving their Angels.

Jean yes BB tends to spread before height ...a glorious brug is BB, I am still madly in love with him!
BB seven points

Thumbnail by

Chrissy, was that photo of Butterbomb taken in warm weather? (I assume so, as it's a clear yellow.)

I found my first seedling of Old Apricot x Butterbomb disappointing in itself but am keen to use the best part of it--its genes--for cross-pollination. In my *very* short experience of cross-pollinating brugs it seems that OA as pod parent tends to produce apricot offspring (or occasionally white, as happened with my very first seedling--can't readily lay my hands on the photo). And Alistair seems to have had the same experience. So I think it's best used as the pollen donor rather than the pod parent.

I'm not keen on using Aztec Gold as a pod parent either, as it has only produced unexceptional whites (unscented or barely scented) that are inferior to the original. I think it's also best used as a pollen donor.

Of course, this doesn't mean that using OA or AG as pod parents will never produce good seedlings, but it seems that other combinations are more likely to produce better offspring. The most interesting combos, though, are cross-pollinating seedlings: so exciting, esp. as unexceptional parents can sometimes produce quite lovely seedlings.

Edited yet again to say that using OA could introduce beneficial characteristics into seedlings that don't have any obvious physical appeal (ie seedlings that look nondescript but that may have increased vigour, heat resistance etc).

This message was edited May 3, 2011 9:06 AM

Yes it was ...at the moment BB is finishing up and it had turned a burnished sort of deep gold.
Hopefully starting more seed pods.
I think the crosses with a lot of S.whites in their background influence the colour, somewhere way back in the beginning Alistair told me OA almost always throws apricot in colour.
I believe a lot of what we have worked with in the beginning had lots of the S.white in them.
I know in Germany they are trying to take that out of their brugs ...it may remove the fragrances though.

I think our first attempts at seeds may result in quite a few whites but it taught gardeners how to grow brugs, as they go along they can try imported and local crosses, hopefully the gardeners can make good crosses themselves in the future, everyone has to start somewhere even if it's a sweet white single ...lovely description of the scent in yours Dianne .
Last Autumn shot of BB

Thumbnail by

cestrum don't forget to post your seedling blooms into BGI they have fixed it for you ^_^
GHA in an Autumn colour

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

Chrissy, GHA is just about that color here too. The difference is that the ends of each flower roll over a bit more. BB is very cheeky too with huge flowers this time . I am sadly disappointed in Alphonse though. He is very limp compared to BB & GHA. . He does perk up when its evening though. The tendrils stand up beautifully then, where most of the day they just hang.
I went down this morning about 10am and you could still get a very strong perfume from all 3. Probably in the cold it hangs around later.
Jean.

Now Jean we call those kind of tendrils Languid it means it may need more shade ...glad you love BB and I love GHA too.

Awe people have been killed in NZ it's awful :(

barmera, Australia

I can't believe that I'm actually looking around at the flowers and contemplating which crosses would be nice. I only have Clementine flowering at the moment as the double, but maybe I'll try R Frosty Pink with it and try to get a double pink. Ahhhh That would be nice. Colleen

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

>Who would have thought that finally having some of your own doubles would give you a new appreciation of the beauties of the singles? Your two have stood the test of time Wayne--just as lovely now as when you discovered them--and I still love Pink Sweetie. - Cestrum<

Look at that blue sky with lovely "watermelon" Brugs dangling in front of it! Send me down a double helping of both please! :)

>I'm not keen on using Aztec Gold as a pod parent either, as it has only produced unexceptional whites (unscented or barely scented) that are inferior to the original. I think it's also best used as a pollen donor. - Cestrum<

Both 'Coral Reef' and 'Love Potion no.9' have AG as pod parent. :)))

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

PP must carry a fair whack of orange in her then ...I see she is in a lot of lovely blooms.
She is what I would call a warm pink, I think it's probable the warm pinks do.
I have a Sugar Pink cross that was Pastel Orange in colour and Sugar Pink is a warm pink in warm weather.
The big flair in your beautiful blooms comes from AG she tends to fling the skirt wide open.

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

That double pink looks good cestrum :)

barmera, Australia

Wayne will you let me know when you're going to cut your brugs back please. There are a lot that I don't have. SB, MC, LPno9, CR for a few. I would be very pleased to get cuttings of these . Thank you Colleen

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Quote from ctmorris :
Wayne will you let me know when you're going to cut your brugs back please. There are a lot that I don't have. SB, MC, LPno9, CR for a few. I would be very pleased to get cuttings of these . Thank you Colleen

Colleen, I don't cut the Brugs back at all until winter has passed. The more coverage I have the better! If there is damage, I assess then strike. If all OK, I leave it to a light tidy up. Come spring there will be plenty of material ready to strike, so remind me then please.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Quote from chrissy100 :
PP must carry a fair whack of orange in her then ...I see she is in a lot of lovely blooms.
She is what I would call a warm pink, I think it's probable the warm pinks do.
I have a Sugar Pink cross that was Pastel Orange in colour and Sugar Pink is a warm pink in warm weather.
The big flair in your beautiful blooms comes from AG she tends to fling the skirt wide open.

Yes, it would seem so. I vaguely recollect a table somewhere (maybe at ABADS) that listed PP's heritage... I do recall discussion as such in one of the Brug forums when MC first bloomed.
Yesterday I discovered one of your Brugs (a cutting given some years back) flowering away under a giant 'Old Apricot'! It is a dear little pale pink - no label. I think it might be 'Sugar Pink' or 'Elfin Pink' or some other. Did not have my camera, so sorry no pics! :( I will see later in the week when I go visit.

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

Pink Panther's heritage is unrecorded, but it definitely does carry unexpressed orange.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thanks Alistair.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.