anyone have any Curcuma activity yet?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I couldn't take it any more - not a sign of anything happening with it - so dug around - the bulb actually has seemed to grow huge - still firm...I can't pin point where the other one is in the bed due to the bee balm taking over further down the bed...but I'm at least relieved the bulb is still firm...phew...now let's get growing!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My curcuma are coming up as well as the costus .. they are always a month or so behind the hedychiums. I too was having anxiety attacks over the curcuma and costus after this last winter. I learned my lesson .. come fall I'm taking insurance and digging a few up!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

sweet so since ur plants always seem two weeks ahead of mine I'll keep chilling until Branden's birthday in a few weeks lol...

yours look great! so glad you didn't lose them!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Me too! Like you I was diggin around and also have some huge bulbs on some.

Johns Island, SC

Mine are emerging, rednyr, but about 2-3 weeks later than usual. Growing fast, though.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ok than I won't sweat it yet Stono - mine still have no shoots yet :(

Johns Island, SC

I think you're right, rednyr---mine were slow to emerge this year (hard winter), but they aren't much smaller than they usually are at this time of year...Leave them alone...they'll work it out with Mother Nature!

Sumter, SC

None of my curcuma's made it, including one container of curcuma elata. When I get more, instead of burying them in containers, I plan to use metal mesh wire for ground vole protection. I'm still waiting for signs of growth from the Heliconia that I protected last winter. I'm hoping the ground still isn't quite warm enough. Stay tuned;-)

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Jeannie - if you need some Heliconia - just let me know - I've got what I wanted planted and the rest are potted up in 3-5 gallon black plastic pots - you are welcome to some anytime!! oh hey - I start selling at the Farmers Market on Main/Liberty later this week! hope it goes well!

Sumter, SC

Thanks, red! I'll visit you at the Farmer's Market this weekend.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

how does one split Curcuma? and what are all those finger pods? net doesn't have too much on with pics of splitting (yea I know - I'm an inpatient child - I totally dug one up - I can't believe how much is in the ground after just one year here (when I moved it last spring to the new house it was one small piece that looked like a fat, rounder piece of ginger - now - holy cow)

anyways - just confused on if the 'fingerlings' can go in their own pot

can the main bulb be split?

Thanks for anyone's help!!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I just pull them apart like hedychium making sure there is an eye or two on it.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

what are those 'pods' or 'fingerlings' attached? they are off the main bulb, connected by a thick root or vein (not sure of the proper terminology is, the vein is about about 6" long and it connects to a 3" oval shaped pod) - the main bulb had like 6 pods running off of it - do you know if they will grow on their own? Thanks!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.