Dahlia sprouts

Mentor, OH

I have several dahlia clumps that are showing sprouts on the stem only. Is there a chance they will produce a flowering plant? I'm kind of new at this and was under the assumption that the sprouts (eyes) must come off the individual tuber collars to produce a viable plant. Please advise. Dan

Thumbnail by psudan
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Dan, how interesting. I grow a lot of dahlias of all sizes and shapes, although I have to dig them up each fall and store them. I also propagate from the tubers in the spring as well as just grow plants from stored tubers. I have seen this when I just lay my tubers in a flat, barely covered. But I usually just let them grow an inch or so and cut them off to root and make a new plant. I get as many as seems reasonable, then only allow one of the sprouts to grow and they do indeed product huge plants. Only thing I am not sure about (will write Kevin @ Corralitos' garden) is if they flower. Actually, that isn't true. I have one that I kept in the house, took at least six or seven cuttings, and it has flowered fairly profusely. Others don't show any buds. Not sure what the difference is. wonder if blooms depend on where on the tuber/stem the growth comes from. Maybe some of the other more knowledgeable gardeners here can answer that.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very interesting, Dan. Why don't you write to Swan Island, Dan's Dahlias or any other dahlia nursery and send them the photo when you ask about whether or not they will produce flowers. I'll be waiting with mstella and hope you will post the answer.

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

Dan...what type of dahlia is that? I've only had that happen on my dahlia imperialis...Interesting.

Mentor, OH

Chocolatemoose, the dahlia in the photo is a Kelvin Floodlight that I bought this Spring. The same type of growth is on an Aloha which I dug and stored this past Fall. Did your imperialis produce flowers? I contacted Swan's and will post the answer when they reply.

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

No flowers. Have gotten them to 15' but never expected blooms, as our season is too short. Really pretty foliage and an attention getter.
Currently growing in the heated garage under lights, then I will transfer it to a 1/2 wine barrel.

Moosey, 15' --- as in fifteen feet tall!! I know that Fairbanks (North Pole) has a wonderful magical growing season, but really. LOL

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

It's ridiculous...I ordered a 14" "stem cutting" (not the right name, but can't think of what is) on ebay 4 years ago. Someone on DG knew I was looking for one and sent me a tuber clump. Planted both in separate 1/2 wine barrels, w/no expectations. Both in part sun/part shade as I placed them close to a birch tree so I'd have something to tie them to IF they grew....which they did. And my honey thought they were the greatest thing. I'm thinking, been there/done that/that was fun at about 11'.

Honey decides we need to winter them over out of their barrels in the garage. I wrestled them out, cleaned them up and put them in a rubbermaid tub w/wood shavings. Checked in the spring and they had both sprouted. So we had year 2 and year 3 at 12' and 15'. Cmoose is done with this because guess who climbs on the ladder to keep tying them higher to the tree? But honey wants to save them again. Lets say I was not kind to them when shoveling them out of the barrels last year. Thinking maybe they'll just quietly expire over the winter.

The new main tuber gets huge each year (long, not fat).They grow all the way to the bottom of the barrel, then start curving. Monsterous things with a bunch of skinny worthless spidery tubers which I cut off for storage. I've had NO luck whatsoever trying to store part of the stem (trunk), despite various methods, hoping to sell, trade and take one to the botanical garden. I lost the tags and no longer know which one is currently growing luxuriously in the garage (the tuber clump or the 14" stem cutting). I am ignoring it in its 16" wide pot. The second is showing no signs of life. But my DH is still happily monitoring the live one and still thinks it's just the coolest thing because as he says...........It's possible there's no one else in AK with a 15' dahlia growing in their yard. I tell him that's because everyone else in AK knows it's just another tree, which we have plenty of...No flowers=no dahlia...just lots of pretty feathery foliage...LOL...

SORRY I hijacked this thread...Hoping to hear the results from Swan re: the original question asked. :-)

It really WAS 15' tall?? But no flowers so you are saying you doubt it was a dahlia at all? but even if they were two different types, even 11' is el monstro! Please say you took pictures.

Mstella - read this and enjoy it: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051926/?hl=Imperialis

Arlene, I read the entire thread. Now comes a vague bell in my head about tree peonies. I honestly thought CM was kidding or it was a typo. So was only teasing. I am amazed that one would grow in North Pole, AK. I may have to try one here in Anchorage. I have a Amur maple that hasn't done squat in three years and I am thinking of digging it up and replacing with something that likes my garden. I think the nursery that planted it and the mountain ash next to it let it get root bound and didn't break up the roots when they were planted.

Just do a search for "tree dahlia" and you'll find more threads about it, Mary

The "tree peony" is a totally different plant. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1169524/?hl=tree+peony

The dahlia won't replace a tree and neither will a tree peony.

Root bound is never good. Could you try untangling the roots on either tree?

It's an idea. I was going to have some work done in the yard this summer and could ask them to try it. Only problem is that I have planted things within a couple of feet of both trees and those guys are not very good about stomping on stuff. By the time the ground is thawed enough to get the tree out all the other things (including a smoke bush I just moved last year) would be going gang busters. I will ask my husband but I suspect he would decline. Although on the third hand, if it is root bound, then - ahaaa! no huge roots. I'll ask. Good idea. The only reason the third tree, a crabapple, has done well at all is they planted it in the wrong place and Damien immediately dug it up and moved it, breaking up the root ball in the effort.

Yes, I know about the tree peony. I realize it is not really a tree as I have four of them. But if I have an empty spot, I would like to fill it with peonies of any description. I have 13 (I lost count) coming this fall and need places for them.

I really appreciate all of your help and advice. Like having a neighbor right next door to consult with.

On the fourth hand, as I smile, if the acer dies you could make it into a lovely trellis for any vine that loves your garden. I intended to do that if my Japanese maple died but it lived!

Also a very interesting idea. I have a clematis attempting to grow on a short trelling near by (4'). If it ever took off, I could run a cable from one to the other and make a real arbor short of thing. I can just see it. Of course, that is if this silly clematis will just grow! it has cool feet, maybe too cool, and is in direct sun. I have not had much (no) luck with them. I keep trying. Do they object to damp feet?

They'd prefer excellent drainage but do like "cool, moist roots". I like your cable idea.

Mentor, OH

I received a reply from Jennifer from Swan Island Dahlias in regard to my question about the sprouts growing on the dahlia stems. She said "You certainly can divide these dahlias". I'm not positive she understood what I was asking but a friend told me something similar. He said I could split the tuber from the top of the stem down and plant as long as there was a tuber to feed each stem part and sprout. I wouldn't take that as gospel since I'm not sure how knowledgeable he is about dahlias. Also, I remembered that these tubers came from Easy-To-Grow-Bulbs. I contacted them and was told, "Not to worry. There will be more sprouts coming from the tubers. These are just anxious to get growing". We have had record rainfall in NE Ohio during April. The forecast is showing more rain for the next six days out of seven. So I suppose I'll have plenty of time to wait on more sprouts. The tubers are presently in gallon storage bags ( tops open ) with moist potting mix.

Glad you got replies and think Easty-To-Grow-Bulbs probably had the better answer, Dan. Let us know how it works out for you. Good luck.

Mentor, OH

Thanks, Pirl. I don't normally plant dahlias until Memorial Day weekend anyway, but this weather pattern has me thinking it will be even later this year. However, things have a way of changing quickly and I'm sure that about July and August we'll be praying for some of this rain we're getting now. With all the weather related tragedy across the country this year, especially in the Southeast, I'd feel a little ashamed to complain that my biggest gripe is that I can't plant on time. Besides, the positive side is that my vegetable garden can be turned into rice paddies this year. Dan

Generally I plant them around Memorial Day, too. They do like warm soil, just like tomatoes.

See that! You've turned all your rain into a positive. Rice paddies, indeed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.