Columbine Garden Planted

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I started a new garden bed last year, really had not much in it. I have some lilies and last fall planted tulips and daffs there. This spring bought Columbines from Home Depot of all places. Yesterday I planted them.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Lots of color with the bulbs blooming too.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Different view.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Another view.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Columbine closeup.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Philomath, OR

What pretty spring colors. The columbine are especially lovely.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I always thought those bi-colored columbines (aquilegia) at HD and WM were very, very pretty. I did not buy them because they self-seed/sow, and I'am afraid I won't get the same flowers the next year. I hope they come up true for you next year. Let us know how they do.

Well, the original plants should be those same colors. Not sure if I will let them seed though as I don't know what colors I would get. I wouldn't do any better with Columbines bought at the real nursery and they would have cost more. Besides I looked and they did not have what I wanted, just the short types with no spurs and I don't like those. Mine have large flowers and sprurs just the way I like them.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Yours look great. Mine are just in the foliage phase.

Columbines I have here from last year are not flowering either. These are early. I guess they need them in flower early in order to sell. But the colors are just so pretty and grabbed my attention right away.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Rita, THAT is beautiful! I HAD a beautiful cottage garden (actually 2 now) but it doesn't look like I'll ever that the time and health to do that again. Cottage gardening is what I LOVE!!

Closeup of some of the Columbines today.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I love those. They are so pretty. I hope they stay in bloom for you for a while.

Athens, PA

Rita

Nice pictures - I love your columbine. Mine are just starting to send up little flower bud stalks....

I have one of my Columbines that were planted last year already blooming called Little Lanterns. The big deep yellow "Swallowtail" Columbine I planted last year that I bought from High Country Gardens is not open yet and neither are any of the Songbird series I planted last year. But they all are growing really nicely.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Rita, your columbines are lovely! I also saw your lupine thread. They are new to me, but I have a few, and have started some from seeds.
I actually love that columbines self-sow. It's lovely free plants everywhere, and they are easy to move if needed. Wish I had more varieties, but can't have everything in one year. In my previous house, a million years ago, I have a variety called "Music" that was stunning. Most of my current columbines were "rescues" from a house that was demolished, so I don't have any idea what they will be.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful gardens!

I just couldn't resist them when I saw all those columbines and all those colors at Home Depot. I thought they were just perfect.

The lupines are getting flower stalks, hurray.

Columbine garden is still looking great

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.