Gotta hide that dumpster

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

When the developers built a house next to me recently, the city decided to move the dumpster so it is now right behind my yard. Yuck. I had planned on planting vines on the chain link but am thinking maybe just to put some evergreens to block the sight.

Has anyone used Wichita Blue Juniper Tree or Rocky Mountain Juniper?

I'm looking for an evergreen that is columnar. 6-10 ft tall and no more than 6 ft wide.

I like the photos of the Wichita Blue Juniper.

Dawn

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Dawn i have not, but we planted cryptomeria and it grows super fast and is gorgeous any season ...new growth is a bright bright geen. On Ipad now with no photos in it to show-- but you should check it out.

The Gyokuryu is a dense and broad variety with a pyramidal shape to it. It has short and exceptionally stiff needles that are usually much darker than other cryptomerias. This variety grows to 8 to 10 feet tall and prefers full sun to partial shade and well drained soil, near neutral pH.

This is the variety

I'm a nursery retailer, and this is the information from one of my wholesale providers:
Cryptomeria japonica 'Gyokuru'

sun sun
height 10.0 ft
width 6.0 ft
water average
growth rate average
hardiness zones 5-9
soil well drained soils
flower male and female cones
seed cones
foliage Evergreen
fall color green

Dark green needles arranged in numerous branchlets create a graceful broadly pyramidal habit. Dark green needles. Dense broadly pyramidal form.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks missingrosie. I checked the images on google for Cryptomeria japonica 'Gyokuru'. I like the way it looks but am leaning toward planting 3 columnar types in close proximity to each other to hide the hideous dumpster.

I want to choose carefully because my goal for my yard is minimal maintenance in the pruning department.

Looking for someone with experience with Wichita Blue Juniper Tree or Rocky Mountain Juniper... Anyone out there?

Dawn

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn

I copied too much from theinformation page-- just toclear up --- I am NOT a nursery retailer! Typing,cutting,copying pasting aint easy on this IPAD!

PS hope you get the input you seek. I talked myself into another tree after telling you about it! Intent is to hide the electric box and other utilities behind the house.
I have a narrow space available and I am afraid of too wide. I got it all dug in and NO more new trees this year! No more new trees...No more new trees...

(Zone 7a)

I have a Juniperus scopulorum but it's a different cultivar. Mine is 'Moonglow'. It keeps it's color and grows slowly for me. I like it a lot and am thinking of getting another. I will get a pic for you tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.