red iris question

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

is the following description (taken from an historical iris site) accurate? does this iris exist? is it really red? sorry but i am sort of obessed with the idea of a red one. (a very recent obession)

"JERRY"
Lapham, 1933

TB ML S9D,

From Cooley's Gardens catalog for 1942: " A bright ruby red iris of medium size and splendid growing habits. It increases fast and is a heavy bloomer.

(Bruno X Belle Porter)

also was wondering what TB (tall bearded?) ML? S9D mean

Lebanon, OR

There are to date no true RED iris like Santa Clause red or Fire Engine red.

TB = tall bearded
ML= med to late bloom season
S9D is the cross number

Richard Ernst who just passed away 3-1-2011 The owner of Cooleys had dropped a couple of million dollars to try for the elasive red iris using a red geranium in gene slicing

D

South Hamilton, MA

Many of the 'red' irises are a deep ruby shade. You might start with any described as such.

Pleasant Grove, UT

I heard that a hybridizer once said that they would introduce a true red iris they had bred even if it only had one bud. Some of the Joe Ghio iris are good approaches to red.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

this is so fascinating. i didnt realize that ruby red really wasnt the same as true red (like fire engine as mentioned above) i thought it meant no red shades whatsoever. sigh. so much to learn. since i am in way over my head i will just be happy with ruby red if i can find one. thank you so much.

South Hamilton, MA

If you want an older one, look for 'Spartan' sometimes when the sun hits it, it glows.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is one with the sun and it looks red but in the shade it is a mahogany color. BEV
It is my neighbors and we don't know the name.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here it is in the shade.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Oh shoot, that is a gorgeous red! I need one like that for my new garden which is mostly in warm colors. On the hunt for one!

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

me also !

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

to Calif_Sue- what does the UBER by your name mean?

Click on the word and it will tel you. :-)

A good contender! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/249745/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks as close to red as any of the above. Its beautiful

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.