Has anyone seen any bees?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It just occurred to me today, I haven't seen one single bee this year!!! That is really worrisome.

Anyone else seeing them?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

have seen wasps, honey bee's, bumble bee's and the darn ole carpenter bee's down here (or should I say over here)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Whew! well it's good they are around.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

haven't seen a hummingbird though since that one flew in the house...kind of bummed about that ...I really enjoy them - I told Branden last night it's all his fault he scared them lol

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm north of you all but have seen bumbles (some huges ones), european honeys, carpenters, diggers/miners & sweats. I breathe a little sigh of relief each time I spy a european honeybee these days. Of course, I've also seen plenty of paper wasps & yellow jackets. I'm in an urban area and rarely see hummers but have started noticing a few butterflies.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've seen lots of butterflies and I did see 1 wasp today .. no bees though.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Lots of big fat bees. Look similar to carpenter bees, but I am not sure. They love my salvia.

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

Yes we have carpenter bees eating the house and pollinating everything. I did see one honey bee and was very glad. Lots of butterflies also, and one very busy hummer. Have put out oriole feeder also. Nothing yet.

One little hummer sort of salutes the geranium before he lands on his feeder.

So cute.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm seeing wasps at the hummingbird feeder but still no honey bees.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Lots of Bumblybees, and there was one honeybee. I have noticed LOTS of little tiny beeish creatures on one of my bushes when it flowered, not since. I have to see if I can identify them.

Johns Island, SC

Lots of them. All styles. Including that stinkin' Borer bee. So thick on the Dwarf Burford Holly this year in one bed that I didn't dare get close enough to spray Liquid Fence on the Knockout Roses mixed in with them (they were all honey bees). Then the Ligustrum burst forth and the honey bees transfered their affection to them. Along with a jillion BumblyBees. Then the Trachelospermum jasminoides---Confederate Jasmine---broke out, and everyone left for them.Now the only true Jasmine (Jasminum sambac , 'Maid of Orleans' ) I have is breaking bloom a good 600' feet away down by the greenhouse, and they've all congregated down there. No shortage/reduction of bees here! Hope they hang around long enough to do their thing on my Key Limes!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The African Blue Basil grows easily from seed and is an absolute bee magnet. Plant some and I promsie the bees will flock to your garden.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

They have been around my place for a long while. I have a couple peach trees that they pollinate each year. Just a week ago I had a swarm in my peach tree. Coolest and scariest thing I've seen in a while. I didn't know what I was seeing or hearing at first. Ran inside to get my camera and then they were gone????? I really should read up on why they do that.

Still no hummers here. I remember posting last year wondering where they were. The answer was there is so much natural nectar available that they will go to that first and the feeders last.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

If I remember correctly, when they swarm like that, they are dividing an existing colony. A new queen will leave and half the workers will follow looking for a new home.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Yup :). Sometimes, if they start to settle, you can call a local bee-keeper to come get the swarm. They might even pay a small amount. I had it happen once, and was sorry when they moved on. They did leave behind a small comb with honey attached to a loquat branch, which I thought was unusual.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

So cool the bees were looking for a new home. We have never had a lack of pollinators. I've heard about the dying bee population but it is not evident at my place. I have toyed with the idea of having a bee hive, but since I don't eat honey I couldn't see the purpose. I don't know how long they had been in the tree, evidently they didn't like the spot since they moved on. Seriously I'm glad! the tree is right next to my vegetable garden and I would have hated to worry about being stung every time I would go out there. I've not gotten stung by a honey bee but unfortunately I have found a couple of yellow jacket nests. Dang I hate those things. And giant hornets, big A** things. Two years ago they made a nest in the cavity of a dying maple tree. I was ready to kill them, but my husband says, Awww they have a purpose. Not sure what that purpose is but he talked me out of it. Last year I found a nest of them inside a block of a concrete block bldg. we have. I didn't mention it to him this time. They had to go and I sprayed the heck out of them. No telling where they will show up this year. Then of course the dreaded carpenter bees. I fight with those stupid things every year. Yes I keep the tennis racket close at hand but there has to be a more efficient way of getting rid of them. There is just too much wood around here to go plugging all the holes.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

while visiting my son for graduation this weekend at Myrtle Beach he showed me a (well I looked up really) a hive that has attached itself on their chimney outside - literally tons of them buzzing around the chimney - he says at night some actually fly down the chimney into the house and I warned him to put something (like cardboard cutout) to block the chimney and call the county extension to get help - they don't want to kill them but if they get mad - I would not want to be in that vicinity...

Beach Barbie - if you read this post do you know anyone down that way? They are only renting the house until the end of June but since the owner has been apprised and done nothing I surely hate to think of a new tenant walking blindly into that mess!!!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

melsalz wrote;" I have toyed with the idea of having a bee hive, but since I don't eat honey I couldn't see the purpose."

As pollinators! think how well pollinated all your veggies and flowers would be :) I once was stung by a honeybee, but it was becuase I stepped on it. I don't worry about the bees, but as was mentioned, the yellow jackets are horrible, and they'll chase you. I've had them in the garden more then once, and I will not put up with that this year. Don't know quite how I'll handle it if they show up, but I should start planning, huh?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ladies - it's true - they have a purpose! Even this scary looking critter is a cicada killer.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

BSD - if you read this post and know of anyone near Conway that does behives let me know - I really want to help my son remove that hive before they move out!!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

rednyr, maybe they could help on the beekeeping forum?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/beekeeping/all/

Maybe not anyone there, but they might know how you could locate someone.

Okay, this may help. A list of people who remove bees, but I'm not sure which would be near you. One evens lists itself as a Bee Rescue:). I like that.

http://www.bees-on-the-net.com/south-carolina-beekeepers.html

HTH

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Here is a long shot. Find a jar of local honey in a store, the name of the bee keeper is usually on the back. I was looking a a jar yesterday that comes from somene in my area and his name,address and a phone number was on the label. Also, you could call the Clemson extension services in Horry and the surrounding counties for the names of beekeepers. Bees are expensive and I bet someone would be willing to travel for some free ones.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

great idea's everyone! I will def. do some phone calls!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Craigs list?

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from ardesia :
Here is a long shot. Find a jar of local honey in a store, the name of the bee keeper is usually on the back. I was looking a a jar yesterday that comes from somene in my area and his name,address and a phone number was on the label.

I think you've got a good thinker in that head of yours :-) Excellent idea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.