seed starting in peat pellets: when to fertilize

Boston, MA

hello all - i am starting several different annuals ( zinnias, marigolds, etc) in peat pellets - these have NO fertilizer - have used them before with general success although I probably did not use them optimally - SO - when should i begin some fertilizer and at what dilution??

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Half strength when they have roots. Wait until at least one pair of leaves develop. More food is not better!

Boston, MA

thanks - yes indeed: more is not better - will wait until at least one pair of true leaves - likely i waited a bit too long in the past and they lagged some

They are close to the lights, right?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes, I agree...fertilize too soon and too strong and it burns the little roots.

I use this when transplanting seedling. The germinating & potting soil has no nutrients. It gives them a boost and dont burn. Been using it for 5 years.

http://www.rootblast.cc

RP16-2

This message was edited Apr 30, 2011 6:18 AM

Boston, MA

thanks everyone - so far all seem to be thriving ( I have about 300: a bit crazy)

Great news! I'm happy for you.

Boston, MA

everything transplanted and all doing well - BUT - I did not pick up the link to "rootblast" right away ( not smart!) - I note that they have Plantblast, Rootblast, and two products for tomatoes and grass
My questions: can one use Rootblast AFTER transplanting ? on the plant in ground or container ? - sounds like good stuff
thanks for any info

The rootblast not the plantblast and others, just the rootblast is used when transplanting seedlings from germinating into their regular growing pot or soil. It wont burn the roots and gives them nutrients to begin life.

I would not use ROOTBLAST to put in the ground with an established root system.

This is my 5th year growing from seed. I have noticed that the products I get from a veteran greenhouse grower, 90% of the products I get is from Canada! From the soil to the growing trays. Where is rootblast from? You got it Canada.

The trays on the left are seeds put in germinating soil and sprouting.

Thumbnail by

Now they get moved from the trays to pots with rootblast and 3-5 granules of Osmocote. They will not get any other fertilizer until they have 2 sets of true leaves.

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.