iris seed question

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

I am totally new to daves g. and sort of new to gardening. this is my first post ever so please be patient. when a bloom goes to seed, i am assuming those big green pods where the blooms were are seed pods, can you save the seeds and plant them? if you can, how do you know when they are ready? thank you for any help
kacee

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Welcome.
If you google "Iris seed pod" and look at the images, it will give you all sorts of pics.
What I do is let the pods dry on the plant or cut them off and let them dry. Then I scatter the next spring and wait.
What kind of iris do you have?

Stephanie

South Hamilton, MA

You will know when the pod is ripe when it turns brown & starts to split open at the top. CA has a different climate than we do, but collect the seeds & put them in a pot until they germinate. You can then plant them in the ground.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And good luck, and welcome to DG!

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

the irises i purchased are tall bearded iris (not many) . my neighbor gave me a huge box of iris that she said were also tall bearded cause she didnt like them and dug them all up when she moved into her house. still waiting for some of them to flower. they are all sort of tall so i guess she was correct. i cannot imagine anyone not liking iris but i just said thank you and started planting. there are a few that are shorter but still have the same kind of flower as the tall ones. i am heading over to google now to start looking things up. so much to learn. thank you everyone !

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

"but i just said thank you and started planting"

That's the way to go!

South Hamilton, MA

Tall bearded iris are 28" & up so heights will vary. Sort of have to mark them as they bloom & adjust the plants for height afterwards.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

most of these are 3 to 4 feet high, then a few that are about 2 feet high or less. all have multiple blooms on the stalks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.