Need alist of cottage garden plants

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

HI all,
I am starting a cottage garden and am not familiar with the types of plants used. Can you all list the plants that when you think of cottage gardens these plants come to mind. Include varieties if you can. Thanks a bunch!

Crystal

Barberton, OH

I worked on a cottage garden with a friend. Our biggest challenge was to have something from Spring to Fall. Spring bulbs and Helebores start. Knockout Roses and Japanese Anemones usually end the season. I couldn't begin to list the things that bloom in between. Heucheras give lasting leaf color. Coneflowers are long lasting. Galardias, if dead headed will flower for the season. Foxgloves are spectacular but bloom for a short time Just about any plant can be used in a cottage garden. Pic is from late Spring '10

Thumbnail by salix_man

Wow! You did a great job...that is stunning.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The nicest thing about the cottage look is flowers, flowers, flowers. You might want a climbing rose, an ever-blooming rose. Platycodon (balloon flower) is a pretty perennial. Lilies (asiatics and orientals) require good drainage but otherwise little or no care. You can expect asiatic lilies to spread over time. Same with tall bearded irises. Old-time favorite annuals like marigolds, zinnias and cosmos. Centaurea or blue cornflower, also knows as bachelor's buttons in blue. Also consider hydrangea in an area where you can control it and peonies.

Amsonia is a flowering bush with delicate flowers that keeps pretty well contained. California poppies are (supposed to be) self seeding. Be careful about planting anything that spreads too quickly. I would also consider a small area for herbs. I would also put in small dahlias. The flowers are bright colors, the bloom is about 2-3 inches in diameter and they don't need staking. I don't lift them, just buy new each year. They are good till the first frost, which in your area could be pretty late, and again, no effort. Some people like daylilies because they bloom so much, but they are spreaders, so they would need to be in an area where they are contained. Interesting perennials are sea holly and allium. Giant allium might need support, but the small ones do not.

They did not grow for me, but foxtail lily (Eremurus bungei--not a true lilium) might work nicely for you.

In cooler areas we start off with early bloomers like daffodils and tulips and in the same area you can put in lilies or other bloomers where you will not see the remnants of the spring foliage.

Salix-man and I have similar climates. Check with your local nursery (not big-box store). Ask them about low care and length of bloom and find out watering needs. Most annuals bloom all summer long and have bright colors. Some plants are drought tolerant. There are all types of petunias with interesting colors and double petals and they bloom all summer up here.

Don't forget to post some pictures!
Hellebores and most heucheras are shade plants but may tolerate some sun.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2011 9:44 AM

All great ideas. I have a ton of work ahead of me for sure. I will post pics once things get going..

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Crystal, many bulbs and plants are sold for fall planting. You'll probably be a work in progress for a few seasons.

Well that makes it easier and much better for the bank account.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I am among other places a Costco shopper, and in this area they sell a lot of spring and fall bulbs as well as plants. Three years ago I bought and planted 3 clematis plants, just small plugs. I got some other plants that spring, like hollyhocks, and decided that I would not buy plants like that again. The plugs just are not a strong enough or mature enough plant if you don't have a lot of patience. Last year the clematis reappeared but did not grow much. This year all the clematis plants are going gangbusters. It may take them 3 years to establish, and that may be the situation for some other perennials.

Never had a problem with Costco bulbs at any time. Their prices are always the same. The more expensive the bulb, the fewer number of bulbs in the package. The bulbs are healthy, and they have much nicer varieties than the big box stores. They have lovely peonies as well, but they, too, took about 3 years to establish. They have all grown into beautiful, viable productive plants.

Most of the other plants in the yard where placed by the former owner, so I don 't know how long they took to establish. When it comes to cottage gardening, sometimes a plant does not look extra special by itself can look fabulous clustered together.

Keep checking in to the Cottage Gardening forum during the warm weather for pictures and good ideas.

Good luck,
Marcia

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

A few of my cottage favs. .......... Babies Breath, coreopsis, geraniums(perennial), daisies, yarrow, geums, johnny jump ups (cuz they reseed and fill in nicely), dwarf babies breath, verbascums, mums for fall, filipendula, thalictrum, crambe cordifolia, even have rhubarb in border, dianthus(many varieties, veronica(blooms all summer for me when deadheaded as MANY do, lupines, salvias, valarian, malvas, physostegia, agastache, sedums, phlox, adenophora, campanulas (from 4"-5ft.), rudbeckias, lythrum, scabiosa, thermosis, boltonia, asters, spiareas( from4"-3ft.), belamcanda, thermopsis, delphiniums ( dwarfs bloom all summer and talls if cut back rebloom at a lower height ), dictamnous, osteospurmum (annuals reseed for me and perenns bloom all summer if deadheded), platycodon, asclepias, coneflowers, columbine, baptisia, liatris, snapdragons (from 6"-36", love the rockets), gaura, saxatile, monarda, centranthus (grows wild on the dover cliffs in england), centaureas(mostly perenns here), malope, hesperis, penstemon (some of the newer varieties bloom all summer), oenothara, armeria, papaver, gentian, epilobium, heliopsis, helianthus, lavatera. And then there are the annuals; Cosmos, angelica, nicotiana, daucus (queen anne's lace 4-8ft.), ammi visagna or majus, amaranthus, sweetpeas (england breeds some of the best varieties we have), amberboa, nigella, alyssum (seeded right into my borders and increase every year and smell yummmmy), datura, zaluzianskya (yummmmm), agrostema, catanche,(oops, is a perenn.), cleome, didicus, heliotrope, larkspur, linum (annual or perenn. ), monarda lambada, salvia turkestanika (biennial). Ooops almost for got eupatorium. these are all staples in my garden and I love 'em, got a little sissinghurst here, lol. Ya and I'm also growing several of those already mentioned. I'm always looking for new but olden goldies also. Get Select Seeds and or Thompson and Morgan Seeds catalog for great seeds and ideas. Most of these above were grown from seed. God I love gardening, lol. Yup I'm hooked, I wish that on all the rest of you tooooo!!!!! (LOL). Good Luck, Kathy.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

If ya go to my home page have one photo of babysbreath and prince charles clematis, in diary, still trying to get some of my photos downloaded. Yep there are some things I still don't know how to do very good, just like the flowers is a learning process, lol. Enjoy!!! Kathy

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

These annuals go in my cottage/cut garden every year: Cosmos, Cleomes, Salvia Victoria, Zinnias- Green Envy always, also usually a couple of brights- Snapdragons tall and short,, Verbena Bonariensis, and as many types of Nicotiana seeds i can get my hands on, especially green Langsdorfii, majestic white Sylvestris, and Alata In various colors. For edging I use marigolds, sweet alyssum and nasturtiums to fill in between perennials.

I do them from seed every year even though many of them self sow. I leave some volunteers just for fun, move some around, or take them out in spring weeding where I don't want them. They are all very easy.

Kathy, I'm hooked too-- aren't we all?!

Pam

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Look at some of the pictures members post of their cottage gardens. I like the look of cottage gardens but I want the look to look like it's organized and neat. My husband doesn't like anything tall, so I need to keep stuff under 3 ft. but he does make exceptions if he likes a specific plant. (Example: Gladiolas, hibiscus,zinnias, clematis vines to name a few) Columbines are easy to grow and also forget-me-not, shasta daisies, zinnias. For the first time, I've planted wintersown lupines, larkspurs and foxgloves, peach-leaf campanula, rose campion for the first time, as well as california poppies and sweet williams. I would love to try hollyhocks but don't want them to be 6 ft. tall, maybe 3-4 ft.max. I wintersowed white foxgloves and I am definately buying candy mountain foxglove seeds to sow in 2012 . If I can order those seeds and get them planted in the Fall of this year, they should bloom in Spring of 2012. Black-eye susans are so easy to grow and a friend at church has been sharing her divisions of tall garden phlox with me and I've been babying them. Bee balm/monarda falls into the cottage garden style. Try to plant a lot of perennials so they return the next year and fill in with annuals. I know I've only mention stuff that I have or like to have in my cottage garden look but there are lots more. My goal is for a pastel theme..pink, purples, blues, yellows and white. You may desire other color schemes. Good luck in all your endeavors.

I have had to give myself a gardening budget and even then I am breaking it sometimes. I like having instant gardens so I am not to keen on waiting 3 years for plants to get established. I have bought bulbs from Costco and love them. They always have a great variety and the prices are good as well. I didn't get any bearded iris in this time so I will have to wait for Fall. I bought my house last summer and have pretty much changed everything about the yard. I used horse manure and the lasagna method to create new beds over Winter....I just dug into the last one and the shovel went in like butter and there were tons of worms. It was solid clay last year. I have also re-done the entire front beds against the house...tore up all the builder grade boring plants and added a ton of roses, salvias, etc. (still need filler plants) and other olde world type of evergreens. The back beds have hydrangeas, dinner plate hibiscus and peonies, I also added hollyhocks, lupines and a wisteria to go over a wrought iron fence int he back. My driveway looks like I have a nursery with so much more to plant it's crazy! I have 15 more heirloom rose ramblers to plant, my entire vegetable and herb garden and a ton more...yikes why am I on the computer, I need to get out and start planting!!!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Crystal, if you drive up this way, I'm happy to share. FYI, baptisia and astilbe can become invasive. Not saying you should not have them, but if you want them or anything else that spreads readily like monarda (bee balm), you could consider inexpensive containers. Baptisia is a green stemmed bush with lovely blue/purplish flowers. After blooming I cut it down considerably due to the it's bushiness because it overtakes the area and steals the sunlight from other bloomers. I've already dug out and given away a few of its children.

Green-stemmed bushes are easier for me than woody bushes.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I can't wait for pictures!

I was so busy in the garden today. Worked on finishing the veggie garden fence and planted rhubarb, guara, creeping veronica, oriental poppies, delphinium, bachelors button, sunflowers and lillies in one of the new cottage garden beds.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Just about anything you like can go in a cottage garden. I think "cottage" means "anything that pleases you in haphazard way". LOL You want flowers, foliage, fragrance, texture, butterflies and hummers, and a comfortable chair or bench so you can enjoy it all. Mix in herbs and grasses with your flowers. Use lots of perennials so you're not replanting each year. Re-seeding annuals, like zinnias and cosmos, are as good as perennials too. And add in some little whimsical decor here and there--a birdhouse gourd, a gnome, a small water feature, etc. Anythng you want can go in your cottage garden. At first it may look haphazard and chaotic, but in a couple of years as everythig fills in, it looks like a little slice of heaven.

Here's part of my cottage garden. You'll notice that there seems to be no rhyme r reason to it, no formal pattern or formal plants. Everything is kinda carefree and whimsical.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

Love it!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Butterfly chaser, that's lovely. I cannot use a lot of daylilies becaus I don't hve the space, but yours are gorgeous and inviting. A cottage garden has its own voice. It says someone lives here and takes care of me. I'm always showing off something; come, have a look.

NOw I finally have a place for all of my rusted garden stuff that my husband hates so much. :-)

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Oh yeah, MG, a cottage garden is great for rusted tools, broken chairs, a bathtub, etc.

Cathy, I love daylilies, one of my many passions. But I've vowed not to buy more until I cull out some that I already have. I'm reworking all my gardens because last year, when the daylilies were done, this section of my garden was boring! It was so full of daylilies that it was great for about two months. And then blah! I'm moving some of the daylilies into other beds and some I'll cull out completely. I've bought and traded for tons of shrubs, small trees and perennials to integrate into my garden.

So that's my advice to anyone. Don't focus on just one type of plant. Have lots of variety so you have lots of interest. The garden above will be very different next year.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I pulled out all the daylilies in one area early this spring and gave them to my gardening buddy. They were taking up too much room for what they were producing, and I put other stuff in its space. There are still a few on the other side of the house.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm giving up my older daylilies, but not the newer ones. I have some big bodacious ones that take my breath away and I have lots of doubles that look like roses, like Bogie and Bacall (pictured below), which I moved to my wedding garden.

Most plants have a season and very few plants are show stoppers for months on end. So for me, it's a matter of mixing a bunch of different plants so something is always in bloom. My daylilies are a big attraction for my guests. And some of the daylilies rebloom in the fall too. So that's an extra bonus.

Eventually I want to do some hybridizing with my daylilies too and create new cultivars...one day...when my gardens are in order.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

While nothing beats lilies for me, I always like to put in dahlias because they put on a show after most flowers are gone. The blooms stay until the first frost. I did not put them in last year because it was soooo hot. Due to the high heat, a lot of plants bloomed early, and I was so sorry that there were no dahlias. The big ones need staking; small ones are OK on their own.

Butterfly those pink day lilies you featured are INCREDIBLE!!

I managed to bring ONE day lilly with me, sad but only one. I hope the new owner loves my flower gardens and take care of them. If not... oh well... its her's now!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Dahlias don't survive our winters here so I'd have to replace them each year. I'm trying to get a self-sustaining garden so I'm not spending 10 hrs a day tending to it. Maybe when I get it all "done", then I can add a few annuals each year. I do love dahlias. They make a big splash and there are so many pretty ones.

Thank you Psychw2, it's one of my faves. I love the doubles especially. They look like roses...without the thorns. LOL I do hope the new owners of your gardens appreciate them, but don't drive by to see. You may be disappointed.

Barberton, OH

I know what you mean about not going back. I visited the XGF yesterday. The garden had been cleaned and a few annuals planted, but the lawn hadn't been cut yet. I dead headed the bulbs and pulled some weeds, did a little trimming. Mower was out of gas. SIL cuts grass for others, but they pay. He starts a new job, don't know what will happen. GS watches XGF and TV. Wouldn't know how to put gas in mower, never mind starting it.
Lots of perennials coming along (see Apr 29 post). They should out grow the maples for a while If I don't get back often enough to pull them. It is sad.
Herman

I doubt I'll ever get back to see the Boise house again, I saw my former house in Tri-Cities. Oh my... must be a another new owner. All the arches are gone, my custom Arbor, picket fence, and ALL the cemented rock borders I put in! Oh well...

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I imagine the new owner didn't like mowing around those things. You're welcome to come build them in my gardens! Even if I move, I'll take them to my new home. LOL

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

If the former owner came by, she'd find that I pulled out the spirea bush in the front garden by the porch and finally got rid of the astilbe plants. She'd find that there are more than a dozen peony plants there now and when their blooms are done, she'll be blinded by all the lilies, irises and others in our yard.

I'd really like it if she could see the stupid weed (houttuynia) she put in my garden that's now infested. She had a lot of nice plants in the yard, including 3 tree peonies, so it must have been idiocy.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Snowing here tonight, yuck! Hope my garden looks as good, (preferably better,lol) this year. Here's a pix of my cottage garden.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's another. Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm another one who thinks there's no such thing as a list of cottage plants. If I lived in England or the Pacific Northwest I might stick to the traditional English cottage plants but I don't. Some of their flowers just don't do well in our cold winters followed by hot humid summers. Also, pastels are washed out by our sun so I want bold colors which might be considered garish under soft skies. Then too, I have a terrible problem with Japanese beetles , so roses and hollyhock and a number of other plants won't be found in my garden.

I chose to have daylilies in my garden but they're scattered throughout so the strappy leaf is an additional texture to the garden, and there isn't a hole in the garden when they're not in bloom.

I agree with others here that it's extremely important that the garden is blooming all seasons. I had someone ask me if I'm dreading the end of the spring garden which includes the wonderful tulips, and I told them of course not. I'm looking forward to the iris, salvia, and peonies that are waiting to take over the show. After that will come daylilies and phlox. I'd hate to miss the Japanese anemone and mums later in the season.

mao

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I agree. For me it's always about something eye catching the LOOKS effortless.

We live on a street with sidewalks and walkers. It's a pleasure to see people enjoy our work. Many times they stop to comment or ask a question.

Barberton, OH

They look as they drive by, that is if they are not too busy texting.
Herman

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

As I was working in the garden Sunday, a driver stopped her car to yell out how pretty the flowers (campanulas) were.

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

Just Tuesday, we had a woman get out of her car to tell us how much she enjoyed our flowers, so we gave her a tour.

A lot of walkers tell us they come past our house just to see what's in bloom. Dog owners are good about bagging solid waste, I just wish they won't let their dog pee on my plants.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It's nice to spread the joy around.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Crystal,

I can give you some glorioso daisies, irish eys, and cappuciono daisies if you are in northern VA at some point. I started all of them from seed, and they are too big to ship at this point, but as usual, I have an excess.

This is my front yard year before last. I've rearranged things so that hopefully, the flowers aren't blocking the walkway this year. Every year is a new adventure. Lots of coneflowers, liatris, geraniums, zinnias, lillies, beebalm, stella d'oros, shastas, salvias, ornamental grass, and marigolds in my garden.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

What a happy place, penne.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.