Bowiea Volubilis Find

Yardley, PA

Had to share this. Went to a garden club meeting today. This huge Bowiea was offered for $4.! A woman had won this at the Phila. Flower Show and didn't want it. I was just thrilled.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

This is another picture of it. No one at the garden club had any idea what this was. I walked in the door, saw it and grabbed it. lol

Thumbnail by Sally0
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, are you lucky! I can't understand why people don't research on the Internet to find out what they have. But, anyway, you benefited!

Phoenix, AZ

Huge Bowiea envy!

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Great looking plant! Wish our garden club did stuff like that!

Yardley, PA

I don't think they do these types of plants. It was just luck that this woman won it somewhere else and didn't want it. So she brought it in and donated the money to the club. Luckily, no one knew what the plant was so I really lucked out.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Lucky you....but still no fair....lol!

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Sally, I'm one of those people who don't know the difference... funny story here:

The previous owner of our house left various plants around, including some fairly gourmet items (Pachypodium geayi, big Kalanchoes, a fair-sized Euphorbia lactea, a giant E. ingens). Included in that mix was one of these onion things that you all are so excited about. There was another thread on them recently.

So anyway, I took care of the plant (there were 3 onions in there) for a while and them became somewhat disenchanted with them and their measly top growth. So I threw them out into the compost. I couldn't figure out the point of the plant. It didn't do anything for me. There was a Senecio that I remember culling around then. Same reason. Big monster plant but just not for me.

I have a fairly open-minded appreciation for weird and succulent plants. But this onion thing tests my patience more than I need. I try to keep the fairly limited real estate here focused on the other kinds of plants that are more up my alley.

So cheers! for the unexpected score, and isn't it great we all don't have the same tastes.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

OH... wouldn't we love to compost dive at some peoples' homes!?!! lol

Nice score on the Bowiea SallyO ~ I'll join the fan club!

Yardley, PA

That is funny Baja. It is just like this woman who won this and just wasn't interested in it. It is neat to have people here who have the same taste as my kids could care less!

Yardley, PA

I put my 2 Bowieas together. The small one I have had for 5 years and that is all that it has grown.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

well this is the one I have had for 3yrs. the vine is very long but it does not climb, and no flowers

Thumbnail by kareoke

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.