Are They Medicinal Or Not?

Flower Mound, TX

I'm starting to grow a pretty expansive herb garden and, in addition to the culinary salsa herbs I like, I'm growing some purportedly 'medicinal' herbs that are supposed to contain healing properties. I've researched these herbs and feel pretty comfortable that certain ones that I am growing do have real benefits. These include:

Jiaogulan (adaptogenic)
Lemon Balm (relaxer)
Ashitaba (cardiovascular, etc)
Borage (relaxer)
California Poppies (major relaxer)
Gotu Kola (adaptogenic)

But regarding others I am growing, I have seen widely conflicting reports of their medicinal value. Some sources say they have benefits, others say those purported benefits have been proven to be unfounded. These include:

Costmary
Holy Basil
Yellow Yarrow

So, I'm especially interested in any views on the benefits of the herbs I am trying to cultivate. Especially the ones that have supposedly questionable medicinal benefits.

Thanks -

JD

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I think there's much to be said for how much you 'believe' in your herbs. Mind over matter type of thing. If you think it will help, it just may. If you are doubtful, it likely won't. Like you, I see many conflicting studies/opinions online, and distrust the veracity of most of the sources. I've personally opted to give my herbs magical qualities they may or may not have.

On that note, when my boys were young, my go-to solution for just about any skin irritation (nettles, bees, mosquitos) was 'rub dirt on it,' mainly because we live in the country and dirt was always available. They now chide me about that, but I think they still secretly believe it works...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.