Lets see new lilies sprouting #2

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

we came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1165286/

Thumbnail by ge1836
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This one looks like it's going to be a brute.

Thumbnail by Moby
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Holy sheepdip Moby. That is huge? How old?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

It's 5, maybe 6 years old.

This is just the 2nd year for this martagon so I was thrilled to see it put up 4 stems this year.

Thumbnail by Moby
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ever since Tuesday with day and night temps in the 60's-70's.Lilies are popping up. I believe they grow an inch an hour.
I already see bug damage. Spray today.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just out to the garden to see where I can wedge in a few plants.
Red lily beetles I saw 3. Not a plague in my garden but I dont want ANY.

I drenched a weekago with Bayer 12 month tree and shrub. This is supposed to work on iris borer. I figured what the heck. I will go back to SEVIN to kill the larve.
Problem is the beetles appeared before the tops of the lilies were all up. I have gone several times to drench the lilies that hadnt emerged.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

Mine are finally all up and this Casa Blanca is the size of a pineapple.

Thumbnail by bookreader451
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow bookreader it's gonna mean some wonderful flowers - congratulations!

Moby, wonderful news on your "Honeymoon" lily with multiple stems - be sure to post pics when it blooms!

Howdy ge.....congrats on your sprouts! Mine are budding out and just had my first Asiatics starting to bloom within the past couple of days.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

OH! Wonderful! I love Casa Blanca, and it is on the very top of my wish list! That will be beautiful!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Lily growth looking robust.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

anticipating...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice alliums too.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

WOW, nice alliums, and your lilies are about to put on a show!!!!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Very pretty!!

Tomah, WI

Wow! It is great to see everyones lilies doing so well! We have been so cold & wet here, almost no sunshine! Our lilies are mostly little noses peeking out. Rubrum is the exception, up about a foot. Today & tomorrow are supposed to be "nice", high of 50 degrees. Then rain the rest of the week thru the weekend. Will we ever hit 70 degrees???? Or see any sunshine????

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

LOL Becky it is 46 here and did not break 50 all day yesterday. not that I am complaining but kind of strange after a rather warm first half of April. High today is 49. Rain rain and more rain. And we NEED it!

Tomah, WI

I am glad you are getting a break from the heat & drought down your way! I sure hope this rain helps with the wildfires in TX. That is a blessing! We are just kind of "April Showers" out! I sure hope Mother Nature is not stingy with the rain when it heats up here in July & August! You can water all you want, but I sure can not compare with real rain when it is dry!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's my picture of Lily Monte Negro in the background to the left, and Aurora Borealis in front, they've both got big buds this year.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's another set of lilies, the names I'll have to figure out when they bloom, since the lable has worn off, and maybe Bernini, First Lady, or Pink Pearl. These were planted last fall.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

More mystery lilies, whose names will become clear when I can see the bloom color. LOL I've got to get permanent plant labels so that I don't have this dilemma next year d(*_*)b

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Great looking lily stalks, Cem! Seems like we're much more in sync on the lily timing.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

So true Steve, so true. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's blooms.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

No blooms yet, but how about some buds?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

These lilies were planted last spring, 3 bulbs total. I counted today and each bulb has put out 1 large stem, and 2-43smaller stems each. I didn't expect these plants to increase so quickly, now if only I could remember the name. LOL

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's another set that were planted last year.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Clematis blooms are lovely, and so is everything else. I have that remembering thing problems as well. I'm always sure I'll know, then forget. How long is your growing season (how late is the first frost)?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks cathy, it's clematis Crystal Fountain, my NOID peony, and partial view of my rose, whose name also can"t remember, LOL. We can get frost as early as October, and our late frost can occur in May. For instance, we got down to 38* yesterday morning, but thank goodness not frost associated with it. My growing season is usually April/May to October/November.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Sounds similar to ours (6b), but your blooms are already so nice. Our lilies are going great guns, but no buds yet.

They say our last frost date is May 15, but so far it has not gone below 38 degrees. Here's hoping we don't have a frost. We've put in about 14 tomato plants and some cucumbers as well as nasturtium.

I'm guessing your winters are milder than ours, with the exception of 2010-2011.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

The winters have gotten colder since I moved to GA in 1996, and this winter was cold, but it warmed up here pretty quickly, and had everything blooming earlier this year, only to turn cool again this week. It makes no sense, since it was in the 80's one day and 30's to 40's the next day. This weekend, the temps are on the rise again and we're heading back into the 80's..

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Cem, we have had a similar pattern this year....up and down like a yo-yo. Late April and so far May have actually not been as warm as early April was.

Here is an orange LA...think it might be "Swansea" - fragrant and really big. Blooming this eve after work.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Very nice Steve, my lilies have some big buds but no blooms yet.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Question for any lily person.
Would there be any reason why new bulbs planted last May and flowered that July, would not be showing now?
Besides voles? that is?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks cem,

ge - maybe drainage issues? Could they have rotted?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That is a definate possibility.thanks

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

ge, I've got tons of lilies, all of which were in the ground last summer or earlier. For reasons unknown, some are a foot high while others are still just breaking ground.

Are your late lilies orientals?

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

My lilies have hardly popped, just one or two barely.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They are asiatics. My feeling is they rotted. Next to the edge of the deck and shady mid day and damp,dont know why. Astilbes love it.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

This is a view of part of my side yard. Mostly you can see the Lupine Garden around the little tree and the annual garden in the back just before the shrubs. There are lots of lillies along in there.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I fixed up this garden by planting a flt of Marigolds there in front of all those lilies that are growing very well.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Happy Mother's Day everyone. Rita hope you're having a wonderful day too. Those beds looking terrific. How I love Lupines besides lilies. I can't wait to see those as they blooms this year. Thank you for sharing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.