Spider Lily in New Bern

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

The red spider lily first arrived in the US when Navy Captain William Roberts brought lilies back from Japan to plant in his home garden in New Bern. This month a beautiful 28 foot spider lily sculpture (created by California Susan Pascal Beran) was installed on the New Bern waterfront behind the Convention Center. And get this - it really does look like a spider lily!

Thumbnail by Entlie
Charleston, SC(Zone 8b)

What a great sculpture :-) would love something like that in my garden- just not 28' tall. Shame they didn't put it in a bed of live lilies.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

How cool, it does indeed look like a spider lily.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

In honor of the sculpture, I ordered six red spider lilies, hoping they will spread into a lush red field at the back of my yard - ha! dreamer! But I did order six red spider lilies - can't wait until they arrive!

Entlie

This was taken at Brookgreen years ago. I have been waiting for the perfect spot to replicate it and think I finally have it. There is a spot that has become more shaded over the years, grass no longer grows there but I think it will be perfect for mondo and spiders. Unfortunatly, my dog likes to lie there so It might be hard to get anything established.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Hope they don't close Tryon Palace saw where it cost lots of money yearly.

Lavina

Johns Island, SC

That looks suspiciously like a Jim Martin concept, Ardesia...

Lula, GA

Beautiful sculpture. It captures the grace of the spider lily.

Ardesia, thanks for the photo. I have a bed of mondo similiar to this. And lots of red lycoris to plant there. What a lovely idea.

Brenda B

MIght be Stono, the picture was just about the time of Jim's tenure there. Actually, I could see him involved with something like the sculpture Entlie pictured above although it would be painted hot pink or something bright. LOL

For those not familiar with Jim Martin he is a fascinating horticulturist who is presently with the Charleston Parks Conservancy. They have produced some interesting videos. The sound quality in the first is not great but the information is and you can arrow down to see videos on different subjects.

http://www.charlestonparksconservancy.org/index.php/educate/view_tutorial/down_dirty_with_gardener_jim_martin_succulents/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed+parkangelsparkuniversity+Charleston+Parks+Conservancy+Educate+You&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher#When:15:29:44Z

This message was edited May 23, 2011 7:32 AM

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Similar, but actually it's by California kinetic artist Susan pascal beran. She uses a lot of titanium, dyes and glass. Here's her website:
http://pascalberan.com/
Our spider lilies arrived and are planted. I've heard they come up in late August - not sure if that will happen this year or not.

Entlie

I have found them to be somewhat picky about getting established, but you never know and maybe some of them will bloom for you this year. Good luck.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I have them everywhere when they come up. Its like pot luck surprise LOL

Lavina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.