Wetter, not better!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Seemed like a good title. I know that no one in the Ohio area is hoping we get more water. LOL
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1171295/

Enjoy the painful pink Petunia. :)

Thumbnail by Badseed
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I try to be careful.
Years ago I had bought a piece of farm machinery from a neighbor. We went to pick it up on a Sunday. The man had told us to go to his son's farm. We pulled in & people running around like crazy. When asked what was going on, someone told us 2 boys had went for a tractor ride only one came back. We started searching to, and found him by the barn. He must have fell off & the back wheel got him. I can still see that picture in my mind. it was 45 years ago.

I plan on taking it easy. Today we are going to the antique shop to hopefully get done for this weekend.

Bernie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bernie! I'm having deja vu. LOL

Hope your recovery is quick and easy. Try to behave yourself.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Been up since 4:45 awakened by the weather warning of a tornado warning. Since then, have been under 4 separate warnings. So far, just rain and some wind. The garden is floating!! Will probably lose the satellite signal with this weather, but will check in when I am able.

Bernie, put those feet up!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I was just going to say...Here we go again.....

TORNADO WARNING ISSUED FOR Campbell County, Pendleton County, Boone County, Grant County, Kenton County (25 minutes ago).

You all be safe down there!

I know I'm darn sick of the rain! I want to get out in the yard and so something, not that I really have time....

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I'm certainly sick of it too! Rain rain rain!
ENOUGH already!
Bernie..take it easy. My youngest son had a hernia operation when he was just 8 wks old! He had colic really bad...and the dr said all his screaming is what brought it out...met the dr at the ER...They gave him six shots of Demoral...and his eyes were still open!!! They took him around to show everyone...LOL! But they did tell me he was feeling no pain!

Waddy, KY

Yep! One warning this morning for Shelby County around 7:00 and another for Franklin County about the time I pulled into the parking lot at work. We did get a lot of wind and rain out of the last one.

Bonnie, I hauled Ginger's kids around for years doing 4-H quiz bowl and dairy judging. Two really nice young men.

Bernie, we got our beets, peas and potatoes in the ground around the first of last month. And it rained. We finally got our cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and a row of tomatoes in the ground about 2 weeks ago. And it's rained ever since. I haven't even bothered to go over there to see what they look like. Wouldn't matter since I can't do anything about it anyway. Glad your surgery went well. Just don't do anything that'll mess it up. Paul had his osteomy reversed in November and they didn't put any mesh in the abdominal wall. The surgeon thought it was better not to. Wish he had because now Paul's got a hernia that's going to have to be repaired. Not pleased just begins to describe...

Lost a cow last night. One of the ones we just bought. Apparently she calved a couple weeks ago. She was a long bagged cow with big back teats. The neighbor that we bought the cows from and rent the ground from said that he'd continue to feed these cows and keep an eye on them. Well, unfortunately I guess he never made sure the calf was sucking the back teats. The kids found her yesterday evening with acute mastitis and an udder horribly swelled. DD called the vet and he said that they needed to amputate the teats to let the infection drain. She was already down and when they did that apparently the most foul, purulent material they've ever been around gushed out. About 10 minutes later she died. The kids got green faced just telling me about it. Now we've got an orphan calf to take care of. And we're $1000 in the hole.

Ah well, getting my water wings ready.....

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy, are you saying Bernie screams too much? bwa ha ha ha

One heck of a storm just busted through here. Thankfully is was a short one. About 5 minutes of sideways rain and wind. I saw my kiddie pool fly to the next county...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, Janet! Ouch, yuck, sorry & dang!

I'm depressed by all the rain along with everybody else. Phone's ringing; back later!
Pat

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, I'm so sorry to hear about the heifer. Having nursed 7 kids (still nursing the the youngest), I can only imagine what a painful awful death that was. I think I'd be talking to that neighbor. No one (nobody, nothing) deserves to die like that. :( I know they are just "dumb animals" but still. Poor cow. :(

I've gotten a bunch done today and I'm headed back out. I do not waste Wednesdays!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The nurse called today to see how I was doing. She asked how the pain was. I said what pain ? She asked if the pain pills were working. I said what pills ? I haven't taken any.
Really only thing I feel is to know it's there.
I didn't have time to scream, I was busy flirting with the nurses, LOL!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bernie! Seriously!! Bertha will get you!

The day after my appendectomy, I was outside planting flowers. My doctor came across the street to check on me. He asked if they didn't take my appendix out the night before. I told him yes, they did. He shook his head and said they needed drive through surgery for people like me. LOL In all honesty, with the laparoscopic surgeries, there is hardly any down time at all. I felt fine so why not?? It's not like I was straining or anything. :)

Well, we finally were cleared from all the tornado warnings this morning. Beginning with that early one, had 3 more the last one about 9:30. After the all clear was sounded, I dressed and headed off to the grocery. The sun came out and it got pretty hot. Unfortunately the sun decided that it wouldn't stay out, and it disappeared about the time I got home.

We have tornado watches tonight, but so far, everything has been calm. Didn't matter anyway, as it is too wet to get out and do anything. Some of my iris are blooming, and they will not last long with all this rain. Sure am hoping that it will dry off for a few days, so that I can enjoy the blooms.

Janet, sorry about the cow. I used to work for someone who said "people don't do what you expect, they do what you inspect." It is so true, and it sounds like that neighbor wasn't checking like he should have been. That is the problem with farm animals, if you lose them, it is lots of money down the drain, and no way to recoup it.

Waddy, KY

Sort of like the gall bladder surgery. Had it done on Thursday, made market on Saturday. I did concede to letting DD do most of the crate lifting.

Got the contractor back on my house today. They were putting in the back storm door, getting locks on the French doors and starting to build some shelves in the closets. When it dries up we've got to get started on the back porch. Hopefully the electrician will pick up the pace a little and this weekend I can get a truck up there and start hauling some of the scrap lumber away from the front and back door. Just need some extra time to work and the extra time that appeared also had raindrops attached.

Bonnie, I'll have to remember that phrase cause it sure sounds about right. I know sometimes things that are so obvious to me other people are clueless about. I can pretty much go in a field and tell you whether or not a cow is feeling ok. And I intend to look at each one. But that's just me. Neighbor asked DH what he thought that cow died of. Good thing he didn't ask 2nd DD. He'd have gotten a major ear full.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I got a ton accomplished yesterday. I may have over done just a bit because my spine is a little angry today. LOL

I have a ton of cell packs to get out of the hall bathtub. Had to clean them. It worked.

Guess I better get to my transplanting so I can shower in a couple of hours and head to mudball, I mean soccer!!

Chele, DH has a cattle water tank that I bathe my cell packs in!! Works really well, and you don't have the mess in the house. Since I don't plan on reusing my excess this year, will wait until not so much is going on to do that.

DH's new lawn that he created this spring is growing like gang busters. It is so wet that he didn't want to get on it to try to mow, so he took the weed eater, and went around and nipped off the top of some that has grown taller than other areas. He has fertilized once, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him later in the year mowing every other day!!

We went out this morning to a "moving sale" and I actually had to get out my sunglasses for that trip!! I got some nice cut glass and leaded crystal for a pittance. Also a carnival glass candy dish with a lid, and one of those carnival glass ladie's slippers you used to see. Yes, I really needed more to have to dust, and then wash!!

The weather has turned much cooler after the rain about 6 tonight. Actually have on my winter pjs. Last night the furnace came on during the night, and it felt pretty good.

Tomorrow, I think I will clean windows and hang some new curtains. Other than taking things off the tops of my cabinets in the kitchen and cleaning them, and giving the cabinets a good cleaning, that will be my spring house cleaning.

Back is still feeling good, although other joints are aching with their arthritis, and this weather has done nothing to help.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I've been sluggish all day.

Decided to skip the shower before soccer as the fields are a muddy mess. Even if I manage to stay clean, Nolan inevitably wipes a boot on my clothes. LOL Bad weather was not supposed to hit again until 8pm. About the time we were getting ready to go, darkness came back and the wind kicked up. We went out and got into the car and it started pouring before we got out of the car. Back into the house we went.

I haven't heard from Craig so I guess he hasn't heard anything.

I think our hot water heater is on the fritz. First the water went up to 150° all of the sudden and now we are having a problem keeping it warm. Probably all this darn hard water built up on the elements but I sure hope not.

TV is still out of order. It'll probably be June before we can afford a new bulb for it. Not so bad during the week but it really stinks when weekends come around. The kids have been watching just their favorite shows in my room.

Dishwasher went out a couple of months ago so we are back to hand washing dishes.

Technology is wonderful until it doesn't work.

I didn't get too awful much done today but did transplant some more and got everything watered then Nolan and I mowed some of the grass that we could get to without getting the mower stuck.

I'm wiped out for no good reason so I guess I'm going to head to bed and kick the kids out in 20 mins!

We did have the most big beautiful double rainbow right after the storm. I think it's the first time I've ever seen one look so big and so bright.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We could actually see both ends but it didn't photograph well. It was pretty bright outside and it was raining. Other than the cold, it kind of reminded me of being in Florida where it could be bright and sunny and rain at the same time.

Night all!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It sounds like you had a good and productive day Bonnie!

LOL about the grass. You are probably right. I have a whole big bag of Preen for lawns sitting here and I'm watching the dandelions outgrow the grass.

Nolan and I mowed around the daylily beds today. Kind of depressing. The bright spot is finding a few fans that were left behind. :)

It was pleasant last night and I left one window open by my bed. I may do that again tonight. The rain, the frogs, the cool air...so much more pleasant to sleep with those.

I'm heading up the hall.

Thumbnail by Badseed
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well seeee???????? Bernie didn't have anything to scream about!! Sounds like you are doing well Bernie..that's great to hear.
And I gotcha all beat! After my double knee replacements....the next morning to be exact....I was walking the halls at the hospital!!! The dr called me his 'miracle patient'!!
Sorry to hear about the cow Janet. What a shame!
Bonnie, so glad you are doing good on those shots.
Yes...all this rain is very depressing. Especially since I look out and see my plants growing up and over all the stuff I need to clean up! Guess if I wait long enough, it won't show huh?
I love rainbows, Chele! Sooo pretty!!
Welll...off to the grocery today....yuk! Gotta be done though. I like to eat!!

Waddy, KY

Big ole ugly clouds rolled up last night and of course it rained again. Then we had a fantastic double rainbow. Hopefully that'll mean we'll get at least a few days of dry weather. I'm going to take a pitchfork tomorrow and try to fork up a few daylily orders. It seems like when it's sopping like this a fork works much, much better than a spade.

Since we didn't do any markets last weekend I've been baking this week and putting it all in the freezer for the week of the wedding so I don't have so much market baking to do that week. It would suit me if I had little or none to tell the truth.

Grass needs to be mowed. Limb pile needs to be burned, porch needs to be painted, scrap lumber needs to be hauled off..... See a pattern here?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Nolan and I mowed a little bit yesterday. See the mud tracks?? LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bernie didn't come back and tell us how he did while antiquing the other day!

Not sure what my plans are today. I need to pot up some bulbs and there is always more transplanting to do. I also need to pay the electric bill and see do the checkbook because hubby needs to buy new break pads.

We have three soccer games tomorrow but luckily they are in Hillsboro so not too far from home. The only bad thing again is that the first two games start 15 minutes apart then we'll have a 2.5 hour gap. Too much time to sit there and not really enough time to justify wasting the gas to come home. Guess it will be another picnic day.

It's another dreary day here so far. Wish the sun would shine!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, cancel those plans for tomorrow. I guess the field we were going to play on is too wet. Didn't get a reason yet but just saw a facebook message that there are no soccer games tomorrow. Craig will be home all day so I guess he'll be fixing his brakes and hopefully cracking a whip on the kids. My house is so messy right now.

Barberton, OH

Marcy, aren't new knees great? I had mine done in Feb 09 and 10, in between snow shoveling and lawn mowing. Perfect timing- able to do both.
Not much rainfall up here, but a lot of time raining. Still able to get things done except planting. Water table in the garden is 2 inches or less. Gonna take a long time for that clay to be friable.
2nd leaves starting on the peppers. Time for a little MG? They are greening up nicely.
Herman

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We have been busy getting ready for our Antique Shop grand opening tomorrow.
Some pictures.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Another.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

One more.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow Bernie! You have some absolutely gorgeous pieces! I'm not a collector but I love the plates in the bottom photo with the dark blue/purple flowers.

I hope you do really well. I know you are working very hard! Hope you are healing well.

Gosh, Bernie, that is quite an inventory. I always worry about when I die, who is going to take all my "collectibles". Don't think my DS or DGD is very interested right now. All DGD wants is my jewelery, diamonds of course! She has already picked out the ones that she doesn't care for, and told me that she would make sure that I was buried in them! Little snot.

Well, today was a domestic day. I had bought curtains for the whole house last fall, and decided that if they were ever going to be put up, today was the day. The new ones required different hardware, so had to take the old down, and install the new, then before hanging the new curtains, washed the windows, inside and out. I repeated this 6 times throughout the house, and I am not ashamed to say, my tail is a draggin tonight.

I cooked supper, and DH cleaned the kitchen, while I took a shower. We had a board meeting to attend, and I have been home about an hour, have my pjs on (the winter ones as it is still chilly) and it won't be long before I stumble down the hall to bed. I still have more domestic things to do tomorrow, and hope that by the end of the day, I will have accomplished lots more.

Too wet to do much outside, so it was a good opportunity to get inside things caught up.

Marcy, I did all that work today, expecting that my back would be screaming tonight, but it is tired, but not hurting. So the shots are doing great.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I got a lot potted, a lot transplanted, a lot fed and worked outside a lot. LOL

The kids came home and the little kids came outside and they were happily catching baby crawdads and Lillie and Morganne left for sleepovers.

After a bit, Carly came out and was weed eating while Kristenne made tuna salad and was doing dishes. Next thing I know, the little ones came running out saying Kristenne had cut herself. So long story short, we just came home from her getting stitches at the ER. She stuck her hand in the water and ran a knife up the backside of her wrist.

We are just now eating dinner.

Oh, wow, and it seemed like such a nice day, then the ER. Hugs.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yeah, it was a pretty good day up until the climatic end. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

Oooh, that looks painful. I hope Kristenne recovers quickly.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

So far, she still can't feel a thing. I think they might have used a bit much Lidocaine. LOL

Thanks. :)

Chele that does look bad. Knee cap? Now that might be a story!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL That is the back of her wrist. By the time Kristenne cleaned it then they numbed, cleaned and stitched it, it was pretty swollen.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Back from Grand Opening. Not bad, but could have been better. I think the lousy weather doesn't help any either. It was raining lightly until noon. Now it is windy & cold!

Bernie, did you do all kinds of advertising? If not, sometimes it takes awhile for word of mouth for the news to spread, at least here. You have such a nice shop, just wait until the weather gets better, and you will have more customers than you know what to do with!!

I took it easy today, after wearing myself out yesterday. Nothing hurting or bothering me, but just tired.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm so finished with the cold! We actually had a dry sunny day today!

I had to water the greenhouse twice. The kids helped me take all the tomatoes out of the hoophouse, tag every cell pack, move the hoophouse and reload it with 80 flats of tomatoes and peppers. Carly stayed busy with the weed eater the last two days and helped me too. Nolan helped me move all of the shade plants in front of the greenhouse. Between Craig and I, we pumped all the gunk out from under the house. Craig, after many issues, finally got the break shoes on his car. The little kids actually helped on and off with different things and playing with Nolan.

Kristenne started dinner then I went in to finish it up and Craig finished cleaning up in front of the garage. Nolan and I also did some mowing but I guess we aren't going to do much more of that until we can get more gas. $4.04 a gallon! Good grief!

Will be glad to see customers come pick up plants next week! I'm ready for phase two and ready to get out to my own gardens. Thankfully, I have more flats and pots coming next week too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.