Can you recommend some tall varieties?

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

Can you recommend some tall varieties? I bought several varieties this year but bought smaller ones by mistake (doh!)
Who are the best people to buy tubers off? Is it too late to plant tubers now in zone 7 (i think)?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I don't know if these suppliers will ship to other countries but here's a list of them:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/advanced.php?category=8&submit=Go&cat[158]=8

Try either Corralitos or Swan Island or Dan's Dahlias and check the list by heights.
Good luck.

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

Thanks Pirl

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Pirl, do you think he would be better off with tubers rather than propagated plants? Kevin @ Corralitos only sends plants rather than tubers. What is your weather like Biscombe? Temps and all. Do you ever see frost? Not likely being on the Mediterranean. Can't remember if Granada is on the coast or perhaps higher up?

You're right - I hadn't thought of that. Maybe seeds would be easiest to obtain and grow, then keep the tubers for the next year.

that is probably the most practical. I have never grown from seeds but I hear it can be done. :)

We're trying cactus and The Bishop's Children this year, so if my memory doesn't fail me I will report how they do right here.

great. And I will try to remember to post some pics of Bishop of Aukland and Bishop of York to compare colors and foliage

Sounds good to me, MC!

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Tall? Bloomquist Glow is awesome, a tall and tough plant with AA sized glowing yellow lacinated blooms.

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2009/09/23/todgor/e55a66.jpg

Oh my. that is a truly magnificent dahlia -- a magnificent anything!!

Tod has gorgeous dahlias and a devotion to them that is amazing.

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

Wow Rod that is a show stopper! As much as I love the pic I prefer the more understated dahlia flowers, my ideal would be a tall mega blooming variety which could be used as a cut flower (I don't know if some dahlias are better than others for cut flowers)

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Bloomquist Glow< wow that is a beauty.. I love that striking yellow, I know it could be seen all across the yard..

biscombe - some dahlias are more suitable for cutting. Poochella was the queen of dahlias while she was at Dave's Gardens but you can do a search for them, using her name, and you should find the names.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.