Pappillio wannabe's

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

These flowers, supposed to be Butterfly Amaryllis, are a sad imitation. The shape and depth of color are both off. I remember ordering from two different sources last year. Wish I could remember where I got these and not order from them again.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

These flowers are subtly spotted, and they look like "Exotic Star" to me. Unfortunately, their first-season-performance in your garden does not reveal the full potential of this hybrid, that I consider one of the very best hybrids out of H.papilio. Further, this cultivar is not only reliable in producing flowers, that this does not apply for H.papilio, but it will produce upto 4 scapes with 2 to 4 florets out of mature bulbs. TRY to become friend with these - their beauty can be / become TERRIFIC!

Thumbnail by haweha
Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

And one close-up:

Thumbnail by haweha
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, I am not going to toss them out, I was just disappointed they were not as expected. I'll check out Exotic Star. We just experienced the second coldest winter in history here, I am just glad they chose to bloom at all but all the hippis seemed to love the chill.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.