Ordering Peonies for 2012

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes the time has come...because I order from a grower who ships bare root in the fall!
So I was checking the current catalogue ( La Pivoinerie d'Aoust) and here is the long list:
Belleville
Cavatina
Coral Sunset
Early White
Edulis Superba
Elsa Sass
France
Globe of Light
Honour
Kelways Exquisite
Kelways Lovely
Laura Dssert
Pink Pom Pom
Top Hat

Well I have to get that down to about 4, max 6!
I have been trying to get early bloomers but most of these are week 5. I will definitely go for early White which is week 3 and probably Edulis Superba just because it is an old timer. Other current favorites are France,Globe of Light and Top Hat.

And I have not even looked at the list of another grower who is up north from me!

Need to get this done pretty soon because I will have to plan where they will go this summer!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's Top Hat!
Pic from La Pivoinerie catalogue

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Top hat looks unique and lovely, Some on your list such as Elsa Sass are recorded as late bloomers if that matters. You might consider whether Pink Hawaiian Coral is preferable over Coral Sunset. It's amazing. I hope to post pics if I get blooms in its first spring at my house. I'm very interested to see how any of those on your list will appear if they get to the point of pics in the peony forum.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Top Hat is beautiful. It's on my list of peonies to have, but I do need more peonies? :)

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Top Hat is wonderful and unique. I have a couple I got from Holligsworth. Good choices, Fancy!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

But how to g et that list down to 4-6? Sigh!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Screw 4-6 - get them all! LOL You only live once.....

LOL Steve!

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh my, Top Hat is beautiful - you enablers you!! ~j

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Top Hat definitely has the most interesting and catching form of all the peonies I have. Hard to find sometimes but GREAT. If you happen upon it, GET it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Working on this long list! Checked a couple of other places too.
Found Etched Salmon on another site which I have been looking for - it is a limited supply so hope I get one.
Others on the medium ( not yet short) list!
Top Hat ( for sure)
Bellevile
Coral Sunset
Edulis Superba
Elsa Sass
Globe of Light
Pink Pom Pom

Lots of pinks there- need to think about that. Wanted a white for sure ( Elsa Sass) as I don't have a white in the front garden.
Belleville is rather a lavender shade it seens which sounds pretty.
Pic is Globe of Light

This message was edited May 1, 2011 11:07 AM

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Fancy, that "Globe of Light" is one gorgeous peony. Reminds me some what of Sorbet?

Maxine

Kansas City, MO

If I was in Canada I think I would be purchasing all the old cultivars rather than the newer ones. The older ones even the floppies have to my nose more scent. Both Lindsey and Mano have older peonies for sale. Your post reminded me of Mano and when I looked at her site I was surprised to find that she has branched out even more and will be having peony flavored goodies such as vinegars and jams. Several years ago on another group someone asked about making peony jelly but I knew of no one that made it. However my mind has been exploring the tast since then. Now I won't need to steal enough petals to make it.

For anyone wondering her website is http://www.pivoinescapano.com/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes I had/have some old cultivars on the original list and you never know what will happen before the final order goes in! Lindsay has a lot of old cultivars available.

If you are looking for the old white peony, I highly recommend Mme de Verneville for fragrance. It smells incredible, like old musk rose.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Agree on MdV - I have a couple of those and the fragrance is magnificent.

Too bad we don't have 'scratch and sniff'! :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for that suggestion: I now have 4 whites on the list: Elsa Sass,(1930) Laura Dessert(1913), The Fleece (1936) Mme. de Verneville (1885).

I certainly did not set out to buy the old ones but am struck by the lovely ones Lindsay has from Kelway, Saunders etc.

And apparently all those whites are fragrant!

This is Elsa Sass

This message was edited May 1, 2011 5:56 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey fancyvan, I'm also going to suggest Baroness Schroeder to you, which also has a pretty bloom and a nice scent. The blooms did start off with a pink blush, and now are a pure white.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm sold on Mme de Verneville, too, next time I order.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well I put in my order today and missed out on Top Hat- it was already sold out! Darn!

So I ordered
Etched Salmon from PivoinesCapano
And from La Pivoinerie d'Aoust:
Edulis Superba ( Lemon 1824)
Globe of Light( Kelway 1928)
Early White (Saunders )
Mme de Verbeville(Crousse 1885)
Coral Sunset(Wissing 1965)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

My favorite is Duchess de Nemoues, (spelling? lol). This one is very fragrant also. Favorite mail order for Peonies is Gilbert Wilde and Son, located in Sarcoxie, Mo. (they also have www. site). Good Luck, Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ooops, Duchess de Nemoures. Heres another beauty.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.