What is happening in your Garden Today Spring 2011

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This is just a spot to talk about what is going on in your garden every day. Maybe a new project you are working on, plants you are adding. What might be blooming or wildlife visiting your garden. Just a spot to talk about whatever is happening in your garden today. I will be running today not sure what I will get done in the Garden today but I do have a Flower bed calling my name "Holly come weed me"

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for new thread Holly. Interesting to compare last years thread to this year. We are so busy!!

Found a bloom stalk this am on my rhubarb planted last year.Never have seen one before. Glad you are feeling better.

Thumbnail by coleup
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have never seen a Rhubarb flower before. That's really interesting. I am feeling better and it is just beautiful outside. I would be out there but I am taking my parents to the Dr's this afternoon for a check up after Dad's procedure a couple of weeks ago. Then I have to drop Josh & his girl off with their kayaks. I have been looking at that bed for a couple of weeks now wishing it would be dry enough to get in there and do something about those Quince suckers. I am hoping to get to it later today if the scattered showers miss us it should be good and dry by then.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Sunny, humid, breezy today and screaming my name LOL.
After DD having some friends over Sunday for a campfire (that got cut short with rain) I have dusty/sandy floors I must clean first.
A plant that I am missing has been chalked up to "vole food", I think I now remember finding it dead last year. Easy come easy go. It was a mystery volunteer two years ago.
Some of my beds are in good shape with a chopped leaf-mulch, others are weedamania. I could really enjoy an hour of sitting and grooming moss but probably can't justify it! The moss is so pretty right now, the birds are singing, breeze blowing...sigh!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Went out early this morning and weeded the whole front right bed next to the house. Put 3 huge blocks of coir in water in the trailer to soak so I can use it to mulch this bed. While it was soaking, sat on the mower for 2 hours and got the whole lawn done. I don't thing that the lawn weed killers do anything. Most of the lawn was yellow with dandelions. They're ALL GONE !! One of my kids sent me 3 dwarf butterfly bushes (including a pretty yellow one) and 2 beautiful bi colored Sorbet Peonies for Mother's Day. If they had brought them I would have had them dig 'em in. Going out to get my shovel.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wishing it felt more like spring than summer, got too hot too fast
I received my Blustone order for the fairy garden but don't feel like going out there in this heat and humidity...I'm such a wuss!!!

Here's some pics of what I received

Frosted Mouse Ears hosta

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Phlox Home Fires already blooming

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Iris Cristata already blooming(it's soooo cute!)

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Elfin Thyme

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Little Jay Hosta

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lamium Maculatum Aureum

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Geranium Shepherd's Warning

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Went and got some plants for that berm I'm doing near the property line
I found the Ruby Falls Cercis and the Wegiela Ghost that I wanted
Also bought Black Mondo grass and Dwarf Golden Threadbranch Cypress

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mondo

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ghost

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Good stuff Jen! It's just as well you wait for cooler day, for the plants as well.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally go groom your moss. I spent an hour grooming mine the other day and it looks so pretty and nice. I laughed saying who grooms their moss? Other than those gardens with tons of garden elf apprentices. That work for college credits and are thrilled to have it on their resumes. You will so enjoy the feel of the moss and as you groom it and how beautiful it looks a day after.
Roses, It will be so nice seeing your Gardens this spring. Can't wait to see all the work you have done.
Jen, Nice haul. Love that Iris and the dwarf golden thread. Can't wait to see it all planted.

I wish I had known in college that someone WOULD give me credit for this stuff. I did a litlle gardening, even a little moss grooming.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh It was a beautiful evening out there tonight. After I played with Ric's new toy a bit I started on that Flower Bed that was calling my name. I got about half of it done and finally started planting the pansies that I have had since April 2nd. Dug up another columbine and some ivy and got them potted up for the swaps.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Got some things planted yesterday. Also cleaning off the deck. Won't be around much this summer, so I'm not planting deck containers.

I'm with you, Jen. I don't do heat and humidity very well.

Holly, bet you feel pretty good finally getting some quality time with your love- the garden!

Jan, well no deck pots is one less thing to mess with. I cleaned off my deck table too, it sure needed it.

My old fashioned Weigela is blooming now. and Carolina allspice. That scent was wafting in the window last night, I planted it under a bedroom window. I have one more to dig for swap if requested.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

ooo, Allspice is one of those on my want list

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's what's blooming at Buttoneer's. Confederate Violet. Invasive but with flowers like that, who cares?

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I wintered this Auricula over in the greenhouse & it is starting to bloom. Will put it outside in a couple weeks.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Corydalis solida. This miniature gently spreads. Just love it!!!

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Helleborus. Almost over now but it was lovely while it lasted.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

This variegated coltsfoot was unusual. Then something ate the flower off & the variegated leaves are coming up now.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

This variegated Lily of the valley is coming up now. Can't wait to see the flower.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That is such a pretty violet

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just get these common ones

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Geranium Samodor

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Azalea

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Aquilegia

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ruby Falls Cercis I just purchased

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Wow what pretty things, both of you!
Jen with anything else I would send it to you, but this particular thing (Carolina allspice) I am worried would not like being bare-rooted and mailed.
Is Ruby Falls a red leafed one?

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Lovely blooms, everyone. Jen, you always purchase some interesting stuff.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh no, Sally...I didn't mean I wanted you to send it to me. It's just one of the items on my (very LONG) wish list....LOL

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Cercis Ruby Falls, does this Redbud have the very deep pink flowers? I have seen those and they are drop dead gorgeous. The Confederate Violet will spread and is considered invasive. Flowajen, if you want me to send you one, lmk. Judy

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's some pics of the leaves and flowers on the Ruby falls
http://www.planthaven.com/cercruby.html

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I didn't get to work in the garden today. But I did take a nice walk around the gardens with friends after I got home from working. Ric did some building today he is working on several different projects and one of them is a large arbor with bench seats. I will post pics when he has it done and in place.
Jen I just love that Geranium Samodor.
My Helles are still putting on a real show and I am so happy that the Pink Dragonfly Bergenia is flowering. I think that was planted 3 years ago and was so very slow to get going. Think it finally is doing well.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.