Pretty Yellow greggii

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I grew out a set of mixed greggi seeds sowed late last year... all that have bloomed so far have been the usual cherry / red / rose tones...
But I had a very nice surprise from one yesterday........... several more have yet to bloom for me so maybe I'll get a few more nice surprises

Thumbnail by mjsponies

another shot from the side

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Nowra, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi that is a great closeup. I have trouble geting nice closeups with my Fuji digitalcamera, what do you use? NIce color, there is nothing as exciting as flowering a new seedling.

Thank You Gary,
I have an old Olympus Stylus 500....which I'm really wanting to replace...but it does have a nice macro option on it. Zoom for long distance shots is terrible tho...

Nowra, Australia(Zone 10a)

Yep Macro is no good on mine, i had a previous model and it was great. Maybe i just need to read the manual. Nice yellow, i have La Luna which is paler, yours is similar to a Heatwave series yellow i have but it is so hard to differentiate colors - you need a printers color wheel to be sure of the exact shade! NIce yellow though.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

nice yellow surprise, MJ.. good closeup. Need to get a macro lens!!

EF..Yes, I love the macro on this camera, but the Zoom for long distance is terrible...I'm hoping to get something that has the same great macro capabilities as well as a good zoom. This little Salvia is pumping out the yellow flowers. Be curious if I get seed if they come true or I end up with something else yet again.

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Post shots of the whole plant. I have never seen a greggi in white or yellow. How nice!
Whenyou grow greggi from seed, how big does the plant get in its first season?
Johanna

Johanna,
I'll try to get out and get a shot of the plant. It's in a 6 in. pot right now, I've got a piece of it layered over in the pot to get it rooted for a backup. Then I'm going to put it in the ground.
These were slow to go at first but I started them I think in August or September.This one started to really grow here in the the last month or so. I've got a couple other greggii's that I started indoors in March and they are just now starting to really grow.

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

How often does a greggi bloom in your area?

Candor, NC

These are the yellow greggii/microphylla/x jamensis forms I know. All are light yellow, with varying degrees of deep orange on the top of the hood, and different colored calyxes:

greggii Moonlight uniform lt. yellow flower with green calyx (M. Nevin Smith, Suncrest)
greggii (x Jamensis) Cienega de Oro: lt. yellow fl with some burnt orange on the hood (Yucca-Do)
x jamensis La Luna similar to CdO (James Compton)
microphylla Lutea: lt yellow with minimal burnt orange, bigger plant than the above (mine from Plant Delights)

They are more or less in order and in increasing order of both laxness of habit and size

James Compton did spot one with a deep butter or canary yellow flower near Jame, but it was too far down a cliff face to reach. I saw one near Jame on a trip with Carl & John of Yucca-Do, but it had no seed.

mjsponies, do you still have S. scutellarioides? I need to get it back for my collection.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.