What is wrong with my Clematis?

McMinnville, TN

I've had this for years and never seen the leaves look like these do, is something wrong with it? Last year the leaves looked normal in color and shape and the blooms were up high so I took the advice of a Dave's Gardener member and cut back both my plants and 1 already had huge purple blooms.

Thumbnail by BoopsieTN
Pittsburgh, PA

Looks like iron deficiency.

Being iron deficient may not mean that you need to add iron. There may be a lack of another nutrient in the soil, which stops the plant from being able to take up the iron. I had this problem with my clematis in one area, and It was potassium that It was lacking.

Banana skin is a slow/ natural way to add potassium to the soil, I chopped up the skin and dug them into the soil around the plants roots. Gradually the color turned. I do this with my roses too.

My clematis do well with a mulch of composted manure, which I buy in a bag at the nursery, I also use osmocote.

McMinnville, TN

I eat a banana every day and I can even go to the barn and get manure. Thanks Obliqua
I'll start tomorrow what you suggested and we'll see what happens from that.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out for you.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

It's a Magnesium deficiency..I sprinkle Epsom Salts around mine and water in...it will turn green in weeks to come...Jeanne

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Today, I have to tie up my Dr. Ruppel and Westerplatte clematis vines. Should have done it before the vines grew so much from all the rain we've had. I was out checking things out this morning early, it is a bit chilly and they are predicting it to go to 70 today but can't wait till it reaches that, have to put on a jacket and get out there regardless. Noticed my Comtesse de Bouchaud isn't growing much and the leaves don't look right on it. I'm wondering if it has clematis wilt or got hit by the cold. It hasn't dropped below 41 in about 3 weeks so I don't think it would be that especially when the other two are so lush. What does clematis wilt look like? Guess I should google for it or try looking for a book in library on Clematis. Maybe some of you that know how to post pictures on here can help me and others by posting a picture of diseases that hit clematis vines?

While I don't have any classic clematis problems/disease photos to show, I can tell you that wilt will leave you speechless and in tears - all leaves go crispy and brown/blackish. IF it should ever happen just cut it back to the bottom and let it grow again.

What doesn't look right about the leaves? Are they limp or too pale?

I am wondering is I may have caused some of the problem by cutting the ailing clematis back myself in the late Fall. Mr. B. came in March and prunned the others back and fed them and they took off growing. The Comtesse de Bouchaud looks like it has just started putting on its leaves but the leaves look wilty..maybe too much rain but why wouldn't the others look that way. Maybe it needs something planted in front of it to shade the roots? Right now it has the mulch left from Oct. mulching. This clematis is the oldest, it was here when we moved here 6 yrs. ago..so I have no idea when it was planted as the original owners are deceased.

I wouldn't disturb the earth in front of the clematis. If you wish you can place a large piece of bark there or a low potted plant.

Mine were all cut back in the late fall and, except for the few that still have not emerged, they are all quite springy and not limp or wilty. Can you post a photo of the leaves?

Sorry I am computer challenged and have no idea how to post pictures. I take the pictures, then take them to Ritz to get developed. One of these days I'm going to learn..

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pippi21, I've a C.d.B. clem. as well. For some reason, she hasn't given me any flowers this year. I've had her wilted on me before, but she eventually came back in years past. I guess the variety is more prone to wilt than other? I'm just wondering about that.

I had cut the Comtesse de Bouchaud back myself in early Oct. I knew it was a Type C or 3 but I don't feel that I know enough to cut Dr. Ruppel and Westerplatte which are Type B or 2's..Mr. B. did those in mid March and fed them. I didn't feed CDB..and I guess he didn't either because I had cut it back myself. I can't stand looking that the dried foliage all winter. It's so ugly but somehow once he prunes and feeds them, they start growing new shoots . With all the rainy weather we've had, I guess I wasn't paying much attention to how fast they were growing back and yesterday I noticed they were in much need of being lifted and tied to the trellis badly. I will make myself a note to watch after he prunes them next March. I just hope I didn't damage any new growth today. Both are loaded with buds. I had said if Westerplatte didn't put on a show like Dr. Ruppel this summer, it was history. I think I bought them both in 2007. I just might have to replace CDB..instead. What's this about grinding up a banana peel with water in a blender and feeding them? When do you do that? I've heard from this or GW about feeding that to roses. Do you think it would hurt to feed CDB some Bayer Rose food now? What do I have to lose?

Pittsburgh, PA

Clematis and roses are always hungry. I think they would appreciate any food
while they are actively growing and producing flowers.

You can use the banana any time during the growing season, roses like the bananas too...

It wouldn't hurt.

Jeanne..how much Epson salts do you recommend per clematis vine? Do you just sprinkle it on top of the soil or work it in?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You can Mix one teaspoon of epsom salt to one gallon of water. The mix can be applied in quart amounts at the base of the plant over a period of time until the yellow goes away. You should see fast results.
But, I just take about a half handful and sprinkle around the outer perimeter of my clematis and water in..do this every couple weeks till you see them greening back up...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.