Out in the field..... Whooping Cranes

New Lisbon, WI(Zone 4b)

The cranes are back from Florida and a few have stopped by on their way back to the Necedah Wildlife Refuge some 15 miles from us.... what a thrill to see these majestic birds and know they are being brought back from endangerment.
kari

Thumbnail by KariGrows
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

How exciting it must be, to see the Cranes. Have you seen them in flocks? I've never had the opportunity to see any yet. I'm glad you shared a photo of it. He's a beautiful bird.

Marlton, NJ

That is exciting! Thanks for posting it Kari!

South Hamilton, MA

Wonderful. I saw sand hill cranes in WI for the first time last yr. Seeing whoopers would be especially thrilling.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

You're so lucky to live so close-enjoy these beautiful birds and take lots of photos for us.
Thanks!

New Lisbon, WI(Zone 4b)

There are now two of the Whooping Cranes, and I am hopeful they will be nesting in our area. It has been close to three weeks and they show no sign of moving on!! It is exciting. kari

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

How very luck you are to have a chance to see this wonderful bird. I have only seen some in flight while being led by a bi-plane during migration.

This message was edited May 17, 2011 8:35 AM

Norman, OK

Kari, just a thought. You might give USFW and your local game warden a heads up regarding the location of these birds if they nest there. There are always ner do wells that will do them harm. Seems every winter we lose a few trumpeters wintering here to people who shoot them just for the hell of it.

New Lisbon, WI(Zone 4b)

I see I had an unanswered message LOL from 2011. I did let the Necedah Wild Life Refuge know where they nested. They did have 2 chicks but had not been back until this year. Now i saw the pair of Whooping Cranes nearby , not same place but within a mile. Perhaps they are nesting again.
I need to call it in . They sponsored a crane sighting morning. I did not participate as I had not seen any, now I hear and see them! Yes it is very very exciting to see them in the wild . Whooping Cranes, and very often the Sandhill Cranes also. The only ones I have seen in flocks are the Sandhills when they gather to migrate... I saw them in a cornfield a few miles from me.
I need to carry my camera!

South Hamilton, MA

What a thrill! Definitely need the camera!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.