2011 poppy garden

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

My poppies are in full swing now. I just have a point-and-shoot digital camera and that is about all I know how to do with it. Wish I knew how to use some of the settings. Sorry , but the wind has been blowing almost every morning I have made pictures so they are not as focused as I would have liked.

I only have a few colors. Mostly peach (double and single)

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

single red with a few "frills"

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

what I call "frilly" peaches/corals

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

baseball sized pinks

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

"frilly" pink having a bad hair day !

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

and the deepest crimson ones I have ever had. I am aware this shot would not win any awards. I just had to try to post one showing the crimson ones in the center of this bed.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

this shows one a little better. It had been rained on and was about to shatter.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I call this one "shattered lives(of poppies)"

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

that makes me sad.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

oh, but even in shattered form they are beautiful !!!! I take pictures of them in all stages and find beauty in each. You should see my hubby's photos ! He has a fancy camera and takes the most beautiful pics. I even have him taking them of each stage ( he used to make fun of me for doing it ! )

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Funny how they get hooked on the macro selection

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

corgimom, when you collect the seeds...I would like to trade for some of your 'frilly' ones. They are just beautiful.

Betsy

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Those are beautiful corgimom!!

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Betsy, be glad to . Just send me another note. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO forgetful these days. Some pods are just beginning to show some brown now.

thank you pixie !

This message was edited May 12, 2011 9:08 AM

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

ok, this is my FAVORITE of the season. I have many poppies but not many different colors. Mostly just different shades of pinks,corals and reds. This is the only one of this color and it is hard to describe. It is a lavender but a deeper lav. than my other ones. My others are so pale they look white from a distance. This one looks lavender from any distance. Gotta save each and every seed !!!!!Q

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

this is a poppy that had shattered and had "half" the petals left. reminds me of a square dancing skirt or a tutu

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

this poppy was head tall and staring me right in the face as I walked down the pathway one morning - - just begging me to snap a picture !

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

this was the photo I meant to post for the "tutu" shot. Both are are partially shattered but this one's frills makes it look more like a skirt.

This message was edited May 14, 2011 9:41 AM

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

a trio of single lavender blooms

Thumbnail by corgimom
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Corgimom, your poppies are very lovely. I had my first o/p bloom on Saturday. Mike

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Edwardsburg, MI

Mike - I'm so jealous. My O/P's are just starting to bud. Weather has been very cool and wet here. Are any of your Super Poppies budding?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

AnnieG, there are buds on several of my S/P. Not a lot like the one that I posted. I have mainly Jacinth and Shasta. Got one lonely "Heartbeat". I will post pics as soon as I get the long awaited surprise. Mike

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

ok, educate me here. What are "super" poppies ???? I grow only op.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Super poppies are orientals I believe. Herronwood has them or google when all else fails.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Try this link Corgimom in regards to the S/Poppies.
http://www.heronswood.com/super-poppies/
There are many more than the ones listed on Heronswood. Others and I have posted several names in the other S/Poppy thread here on Daves.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That Shasta is beautiful

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

where is a shasta ???

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Herronswoods link, above.

This message was edited May 18, 2011 3:11 PM

East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

Golly Corgimom, that lavender poppy is beautiful! Poppies do well here but I only have reds and peach. I had not thought about getting more but you have changed my mind!

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

in general I don't like the single ones but they DO make pretty photos ! You should see that picture really close. The dark purple center shows "brush strokes" straight from an artist's brush !!! I could send you some seed but they don't come true to seed so you might end up with more peach ones !

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Corgimom, just had to show you this "peony" poppy (it has just bloomed) planted from seeds I got from you! There are many more buds to open, and it's a gorgeous plant. The first of my "bread seed" poppies to bloom. I was very late in sowing seeds this season.

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

And, Corgimom, your poppy photos are just lovely! I especially love that "lavender" poppy ... what a beauty!

The volunteer Shirley and Corn Poppies in my garden are blooming all over the place ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Another Shirley poppy ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Another Corn Poppy ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They just make me smile

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

thanks for the comments about the lavender poppies. I was disappointed this year to find only 5 or 6 lav. poppies out of my hundreds of poppies. Why I don't know. I don't know about those genetics :)

I am watching daily (almost hourly) for those pods to turn brown so I can save those seeds. I have gobs of seeds from all my other colors; so many that I am just going to pull up the rest of my poppies without even waiting for those pods to mature. You see, daylilies are my true love, and the poppies are in my daylily gardens and taking up way too much room. They are making my daylilies scrawny from lack of sun !
Jubilada, that one is prettier than any of mine I do believe !

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Mine are just starting.Wind might make it a short season here.
https://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/BloomsJune2

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice pics Ge1836. Mike

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Mike. Hope there will be a bigger display in a few days

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Trust me, there will be!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.