Lily lovers beware: Lilioceris lilii

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It's here: I just picked off my first red lily beetle of the season (http://www.flower-garden-bulbs.com/redlilybeetle.html). We may try some of the diatomaceous earth because we also grow tomatoes, but I've been spraying religiously. They must be just starting to hatch, but due to the rains and chill, they're slow.

It is difficult to keep ahead of these little stinkers as the lily sprouts are just poking through and hard to see in the camouflage.

Everyone should keep an eye open for them, but expect them especially in the northeastern states.

If you don't know what to look for, check the link for clear photos.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

thanks so much - I will keep a sharp eye out. I do love my lilies!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I saw about 3-4 a few days ago and I am going to check again today.They definitely can do some great damage in no time.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They are hatching now.
I was told when the lilies peek up from the ground, spray the entire area around the bulb and earth. I use Bayer 12 month tree and shrub alsd Sevin. Not for everyone who is warie of contamination. Watch the dilute tables.
These beetles can wipe out years of collecting ,planting and feeding bulbs. Here in NYS they are a problem.

PS they breed midseason ,I was told. I spray in July.

This message was edited May 6, 2011 4:33 AM

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I have never seen such a thing. Guess we don't have them in Alaska. Just mice! my tree peonies are history I think. The buds are still brown and should be bright red by now; leaf and flower buds that is. We are way way away from having flowers. Except for my shooting star and sylvestris anemone, and maybe the arabis and creeping phlox. All little guys.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

No matter how diligent I've been, I got this surprise yesterday. I'm always good about spraying the new growth (on top). These leaves were sprayed once, but obviously not quite enough.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

gaaaaaag those awful beetles. I found an adult beetle this morning.Killed it with my bare hands.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This might sound strange but I'll share anyway. :-)
I have a huge problem with the lily beetles. Last year I just let them wreak havoc in my beds because I was distracted with other things.
This year though... I've been on a mission.
I use the disposable gloves found in kitchens for food prep. They are very thin so I can grasp very small items (in this case the beetle itself) and destroy the larvae without getting icked out.
Well, I still get squeamish, but at least my hands stay clean.
And everything goes into a dish soap bath for the finale.
So far, I'm winning! Yay me (for now). :-)
LoraB.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Good for you! That is sooo disgusting......

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I find great pleasure in squishing them. I can't tell you how much damage that they do. I have had to resort to chemical warfare - which I hate but, it seems to be working. I hope that researchers can help to stop their spread across the country.They seem to have started in the Northeast with their migration across the country.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I can't do the chemical warfare because we grow tomatoes and prefer to live. So I'm stuck with the deer repellent spray which works quite well if you are vigilant. Nontoxic, it smells like cloves. I've been good about spraying the new growth, and they've obviously attacked some of the lower leaves.

Poland, ME

I read this on the daylily e-robin yesterday and fuully intend to try it next year! Too late this year for the red lily beetle application but it is supposed to be effective for a number of pest. I think early evening you be the time for application.
Make your own Garlic Drench Cheaper & just as effective as proprietary kinds.

"I have used this recipe to effectively deter slugs, and am informed that if you
use it early enough (March, April)it will also control Lily Beetle - you
probably know this by a different name, but it is a beautiful lacquer red,
destructive beast which attacks true lilies and fritillaries.

Here is the recipe:

2 bulbs (not cloves) garlic, crushed, boiled for 30minutes in 2pints water.
Strain, and bottle when cool. 1 tablespoon (or 15ml or half ounce ) in 1 gallon
water is used to spray foliage and soil.

Please bear in mind that Imperial measurements are different from yours, and
adjust accordingly.
Also, if it is to be used as a deer deterrent it probably needs to be stronger.
Hope this helps."

One Imperial gallon is about 9.5 US pints. 1 Imperial pint equals about 1.25 US pints.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Shoot me if you must but I gave up being nice with these pests. I've tried a few chemicals, mostly the type used on fruit trees because I have fruit trees. They worked OK for a while.
Then someone told me about Ortho Home Defense Max, an indoor spray. It lasts a long time and kills these beetles without hurting other bugs just passing through. Even the praying mantis are unaffected and they live in the same flower beds.
I carefully spray only the lilies as soon as they sprout in spring and again a month later and I'm done for the season. The lilies are in the flower bed well away from the veggies & berries.
This is the third season using this product and I'm convinced it's the way to go.
My 7 year old Tiger Lily has 5 stalks this year with a total of 75 buds. It had 4 stalks & 60 buds last season.
The Lollipops speak for themselves.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It's on my shopping list for next season.

My lilies were fine as long as I was spraying every 10 days. When I started having more back problems, those beetles made meals of a lot of plants. :(

I just went to the store and bought the Ortho Home Defense Max. My roses are being eat up with little green catipillars and the BT doesn't seem to even touch them. Even if it hurts my roses, at least those little green B---won't survive either.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

A confession. Soon after posting I found the nasty red beetles on the lilies and had to spray a third time this season.
Andy P

Heavy sigh. I will spray today with the first treatment of the maxstuff. If they catepillars don't kill the roses, my careful 'tending' will probably do the trick.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.