What are these spikey plants?

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I planted these last year. Some were rescues from a lot about to be developed and some were from a friends farm. I was attracted to the spikey look. This spring I was surprised to see these tall stalks and seeds(?) appear.

I am just curious to know what I have. I was just going for the spikey look to keep the kids from tramping through the rock garden.

Lord knows those spikes made ME be on my best behavior while in the rocks.

Thanks

Dawn

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I carefully trimmed them back last fall so they are not as impressive (read dangerous) as they can be.

The one in front is from the friend's farm.

The two with the reddish stalk in the background are the rescue plants. They came from the lot next door. The builders are finished and LOOK how close the other house is to me! Sigh.

Dawn

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

The red stalked ones are red yucca but I'm not completely sure about the green stalked ones, look way too small for century plants

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree not century plants.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I think the red hot pokers that I will be planting in a week will compliment the red yucca very well. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I'll take another photo of the one in front in a week or so. Maybe someone will recognize it then.

Dawn

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Dawn~~ Yes, those pokers will look good. Your house is really pretty and your landscaping is great, you did such a good job. Those red yucca bloom every year and just get bigger and bigger. They're a beautiful plant. The century plants die after they bloom so I hope you don't have those!

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

PrissyJo - thanks for the compliment. My front yard is slowly coming together.

My friends has tons of those plants on his land. So if they die, I can get more from him or just start some red yuccas from seed.

Dawn

(Zone 7a)

I think the other plants are daylilies. And the tall spikes are flower stalks on the yucca.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Yeah, the daylilies are known cultivars. Mainly just looking for the spikey that is in the foreground.

Dawn

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Here is a photo from today.

Does anyone know what this plant is?

Dawn

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Dawn~~ I think kwanjin is right.... it's a yucca. The problem is there are probably 50 different types of yucca so I have no idea exactly which one but it should come back every year, just like the red yucca. Pretty!!!

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Ok, so red yuccas and a yucca of some other variety.

I like the way it looks with the blooms/seed pods. The other one in the rock garden doesn't have the stalk and bloom. My friend was surprised to see it. He says none of the ones on his land have the stalk/bloom. Maybe the extra water has gotten it all perky.

Dawn

(Zone 7a)

It appears to be Yucca filamentosa. Not sure on the red one.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

its a yucca.
the ones I had spread, they are pokey to the point I dreaded working around them.
They are nearly impossible to get rid of.
Mine had the tendency to die out around the bottom and keep regrowing almost on top of itself leaving a layer of dead stuff underneath that was very strong and I could not pull it up and it looked awful. FINALLY got rid of them!

the tall spike thing can get fairly big. They don't bloom for very long though.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Yes, it does look like Yucca filamentosa. I googled the images. Some were very pretty.

Well, thanks everyone for the input.

These yuccas are not rampant on my friend's land but they are scattered around and he hates them since he has got up close and personal with them one time too many. I'll tell him what you say they are. That way when he is fussing and fuming at them he can curse them in their proper name!

Dawn

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Frilly, we take a chain saw to the oldest of the plants in a group once a year to keep them looking nice, taking out about 1 of every 3 every year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.