5-1-1- Biproduct

Shawnee Mission, KS

It would seem to me when screening pine bark 1/8 - 1/4 for the 5--1-1 mix, the material passing thru the 1/8" screen could be combined with some spagnum and pearlite and would make a good seed starting medium. Has anyone tried this? Any problems?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The 5:1:1 mix usually doesn't require screening for fines - only for very large particles in the 3/8+ size range. If you're screening for the gritty mix, which IS best with 1/8-1/4" bark, you can use both the fines & large particles up to 3/8" for the 5:1:1 mix.

For seed starting, I like a very coarse medium. Most often what I do is sow seeds on top of the 5:1:1 or gritty mix, then cover them with peat or Turface fines & keep the surface misted until I see the first sign of a new plant emerging, which means the seed radicle (taproot) is already burrowing it's way downward. I realize that's not the correct physiological term, but it LOOKS like that's what is happening.

Al

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Of all places for me to run into you! Where're you been? NOT on the soils and composting thread!

Hugs!

YPBFsFF

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.