Any Way To Estimate Age of Peonies?

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I just bought a new house, and was pleasantly surprised to have 2 peonies (herbaceous) coming up in the yard.

My question is whether you can estimate the age of the specimen based on its growth. I'll attach a photo. I know nothing about peonies...but I'd love to divide this into more plants IF it's large enough to do so.

Despite lots of shade in my new yard, it seems to be doing quite well. It gets HOT here...early...so maybe the shade is its only salvation. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by SCBegoniaGuy
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I will defer to the experts here. But it sure is a beauty. What a deep rich color.

Kansas City, MO

Looks too small to get nice pieces after division. However it is too close to the other plant to provide for good air circulation so probably should be dug and divided this fall. When you replant leave a large space around it for growth and air to circulate. It is not the heat that you will have a problem with but humidity by leaving an open area around the leaves of your peonies will lessen the chance of fungus problems. We get over 100 every summer but only during the really bad years is the humidity over 85% at the same time.

You can plant annuals or spring/fall flowering plants such as flowering bulbs in the area surrounding the peony but leave at least a foot away from the stems for growth.

Just remember to wait until fall, here September/October to dig and transplant so that the roots and leaves will provide nutrients for next years bloom.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for the valuable guidance. I had no idea about the humidity. South Carolina is notorious for muggy summer nights...so I'll heed this advice.

The plant next to it looks like a similar peony...but their leaves are touching already...so I'll separate them this autumn. Great idea about spring bulbs, too. I've got a box full of them that I brought from my old residence.

I grow lots of rare begonias and orchids, so it makes sense to me that spacing is important to avoid fungal problems.

Thanks again!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah, what great advice!

Donna

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I like the challenge of plants most people don't have - like orchids and other epiphytes. And Dave's is my network for learning more and more. I'm glad I found this peony in the new yard - to remind me there's always something new to try.

Perfect flower for cutting - with deceptively sturdy stems on otherwise fragile-looking plants. A small herd of ANTS accompanied it into the kitchen.

Dang. Now I'm going to want to buy more plants...

Kansas City, MO

To lessen the amount of ants brought in the house cut before fully open and leave outside standing in water over night. Most of the ants will leave. Any remaining can be brushed off or squished.

There are many places to purchase peonies so read as much as you can on Dave's and other places.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

You can always stick the blooms in a bowl of cool water, and the ants will float to the top or drown pretty quickly.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

The one right beside this one bloomed, also. A lighter pink. And a larger flower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.