More clematis to share.

Cartersville, GA

The other thread was getting a bit long, so I am starting a new thread. I added over 30 clematis last spring after checking out this forum. We already had about 15, but I fell in love with clematis after seeing all the beauties here. More have been added this spring. I have a feeling that new ones will be added almost yearly in the future. I bought 5 new supports from Hobby Lobby's 50% off sale today.

Here is 'Vanso' BlueLight. This is a most unique bloom. This is a new bloom. As the bloom ages the center unfurls and opens up. I took a picture of an older bloom but it was blurred.

Doris

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Carnaby. We have two of these.

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Anna-Louise.

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Dr. Ruppel.

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Nelly Moser. There is a second one on the other side of this arbor.

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Bourbon. This is one beautiful clematis!

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Daniel Deronda.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2011 12:16 PM

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Can someone please tell me the name of this one? Could it be Josephine? I've had it for several years and it has grown in a part of the garden that I don't get to often. That is about to change as we will soon be making this area a new daylily bed. (And a place to grow more clematis!)

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Asao.

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Another picture of Bourbon. I did say that I really like this one!

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Guernsey Cream. This one has a really neat bloom. I love the green in the bloom.

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Do you think this is Ramona? It has been on this fence for years.

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

This is a seedling. One parent is the last clematis (unknown) posted. It has come up in the crack of some cracked concrete. I will be busting up this concrete this winter. It is really pretty. I will put it on one of the new clematis supports that I bought today.

That is all that is blooming now. We have lots of buds and will post more pictures as they bloom.

I really enjoy seeing everyone's pictures (adding new ones to my list all the time) and learning all about growing and pruning them.

Thumbnail by Casshigh
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Lovely clem's, Casshigh!

I do think the one you mentioned is Ramona. Compare it to Plant Files photos of it:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/75916/

I do not think your photo is that of Josephine - compare your photo to these:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/74778/

You're swaying me towards Bourbon!

Cartersville, GA

Oh, Pirl, Bourbon is beautiful! It stands out in the distance. Every time I walk by it, I have to stop and look. It seems to be a good grower and has had a lot of blooms. It has been blooming since late March and looks to be blooming well into May. The blooms hold their color. It is one of the new ones that I got from Donahue's last spring. I potted it up last spring and did not plant it in the ground until last fall.

It is good to put a name to the one growing on the fence. I will now refer to it as 'Ramona'.

Maybe someone will recognize the unknown double. Last year when I cleaned out that flower bed, I remember breaking off the spindly vines as it had never been pruned. This year it has put back out and is a nicely shaped vine with lots of blooms. It has suffered years of neglect.

In a way I guess I should be glad that Donahue's site doesn't work for me. I keep adding to my cart and never get to see the invisible cart.

Does the unknown double have any hint of any other color when blooms are about to open? Maybe lavender, green, or pink?

Athens, PA

I seem to detect a hint of lavendar in the double clem.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Great shots! Yes Arlene, you need Bourbon! I bought it last year so should see blooms this year, just need to decide where to plant it.

Cass, David Deronda is actually Daniel Deronda ;-)

Cartersville, GA

Thanks, Sue, for pointing that out. That's what I get for not enlarging the name picture. I will edit the name above so it will be correct.

Cartersville, GA

Carolyn, it is a pale lavender color. I'll take another picture or two and try to pick up anything that will help ID it.

Doris

Athens, PA

Doris

My guess is Belle of Woking...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi guys...I think this is some type of Texenses. There are quite a few I noticed as I cruised the plant files..didn't find this particular one though. I think this is a Texas native (hmm Texenses!?)
I'm envious of all those beautiful Clematis pictured here! It's already too hot here.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Anna-Louise right up my alley Cass!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

RJ I love those clematis. I have a couple and and few more on the way.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, they are pretty cool! Glad I can grow at least an interesting clematis here.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

That is wonderful, rjudd!

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I'm with Carolyn, looks like Belle. Bourbon is very striking!

Very nice RJ!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those are a wonderful collection in this thread. Ooooh I'm in trouble, too many clems. too little garden to get more. lol

Cartersville, GA

Carolyn and venu209, I believe it is Belle of Woking. I looked at it again this afternoon. I noticed the leaves just under the bloom have some pink on the leaves. Check out this picture from DG's Plant Files. The pink on the leaves shows up in this picture. Thank you both very much. I can now put a name to this clematis. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/11520/

Glad you liked these. The clematis are just starting to bloom here. I'll take more pictures as new ones bloom and post the pictures. Those of you who post pictures are responsible for this new addiction! TroubleX2 knows what my other one is.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, daylily gals :) I also love my clematis and would love to make some starts for my sisters and Mom. Can you take cuttings now and use rooting compound? I have had success with just covering a low growing limb.
LMK
Teresa

I need to recomment to journal everything. I have some lovely vines but don't have them tagged :(

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Blue, layering has worked the best for me. Many of my clems have propagated themselves using this method without my help. It always seems to be the older stems that almost look dead that work the best. Starting cuttings has never worked for me, but I'll admit I haven't tried that method too many times.

Cass,what's your other addiction? We all seem to have more than one!

Teresa - layering is so easy and, as Louise said, it's something clematis are good at doing by themselves. Try it with an older stem just as Louise suggested. I put a white plastic bag behind this one to make it show up before I removed the leaves at the node and scraped the node area very lightly, then bent it (gently) down to the soft earth and covered it, to layer it. Then I covered it with a piece of wood. Roots should form by fall and I could move it then or wait until spring, which is likely what I'll do.

Thumbnail by pirl

Ready, set, grow!

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Interesting. I have not tried this yet and I would like very much to learn how to successfully do this. I cut back my type 3's earlier this week - should I have left a vine or two or can I do it with growth that shoots up this Spring?

The new stems seem more resistant to bending, Carolyn. I did it with all type 2 clem's.

You can let a stem grow (the one you want to layer) and a pot of good soil next to it in order to layer it but I think scraping the stem would be more difficult. I'd let it grow until it has a few nodes and you can figure out how to bend it to the pot of soil and pin it down with an earth staple (like they use for pinning down weed fabric to the soil) or use the shoulder end of a cheap wire hanger but make sure it's a total of 3 to 4" on each side and shape it into a U. Use it as an earth staple to hold the area with the node (and remove the leaves) in place. The top leaves on the stem should remain in place. Keep the pot of soil damp.

I'd try it today with new growth but it's raining. If I do it on Monday or Tuesday I will take photos.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Daylilies are Cass other obsession lol. She has loads of great pics on our daylily forum. Yes, most of us are multifloral lol.
Pirl, I have noticed on my old white vine that I have 2 babies. I covered 2 low growing limbs last yr just for an experiment. I guess I will cut them off and either put them on a trellis or take to Mom.

Mom will love them.

Cartersville, GA

Yes, daylilies are my other addiction. We have over 2500 different registerd cultivars plus hundreds of seedlings. We are an AHS Display Garden. Clematis look great in daylily gardens. I am trying to find clematis that bloom at different times and rebloom, so I need to learn to prune at the right time to get that rebloom.

Hope everyone has a great Easter!

Athens, PA

Arlene

sounds like I need to wait a bit - Mayish perhaps.

Cass - Arlene has many gorgeous daylilies as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.